Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

how to get a mesh grill look!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:09 AM
nopistonRX7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get a mesh grill look!

I use a technique that I've never seen posted on here yet. Thought some of you would like it so here it is. Have you ever seen import cars or touring cars with the mesh grilling in the front air dam? Well I thought of a cool way to duplicate that look. I went to Home Depot and bought a couple feet of screen door screen only cost me a buck or so. I cut out the holes in the body in the front air dam instead of using the grill decals and replace it with the screen door screen. I'll paint it either aluminum (silver) or black. Then I'll tape it to the inside of my body and it looks like I have a grill in my car! Another thing I like about this method is it really helps cool nitro car engines. all that air flowing through the front of the car does wonders. Please respond if you have any questions or comments!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Quattro

Got pics?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:35 AM
nopistonRX7

No sorry I don't have a digital carmera or a scanner. Sorry
Old 01-24-2003, 07:50 PM
nvr2muchrc

Default mesh grill

I have been using the mesh grill look on my cars. I manage a restaurant and we use screens to cleen the grill so I decided to try it on my cars. These screens are a little thicker than door screen but a screen is a screen, and either way they look great and make your body stand out.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:57 PM
kevetz99
My Feedback: (3)

That is a great Idea, thanks alot nopistonRX7. I think I am going to do that on my Murcielago body when It comes time.

Kevin
Old 01-26-2003, 01:20 AM
AznAbyss952

When i get my skyline body I will have to do that. Good idea man...mad propz for that.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:14 AM
nopistonRX7

Actually I can't take credit for it. My dad came up with it by accident (like all good inventions) He was cutting out one of his first bodies and accidently cut out the wrong part.(I couldn't believe it either). He got all mad that he messed up his body and was determined to find a way to "make it look better" First he tried cutting the rest of the body out the same as the part he screwed up. He didn't like it. Then all of a sudden he says "I know!" He dissapeared into the garage for about five minutes so I went to see what he was up to. We had just replaced the screen on my back door (dog busted a hole in it) so we had some left over. My dad took some of my silver model paint a painted a section of screen that he had cut out. I asked "what are you doing?" He said "you know how some guys put that metal mesh in the air dams on the import cars?" I said "yeah" He said I thought I could duplicate that by using this stuff. I thought it was a decent idea. When he showed me the car after he had finished it look sweet. So I did it to my supra, gs400,altezza, just about every car I had. I also notice my engine ran alot cooler with all that air coming in through the front....Well I'm glad you guys liked my idea. Pass it along. We'll see how long it takes before it is seen in a magazine. Also post pics of your cars when you're done! Sorry I couldn't.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 AM
nopistonRX7

PS: AznAbyss952: My brother has the mesh on his skyline .. it's the old 25gt (not the GTR) It looks so sweet. His is white on top (from the hood to the trunk) and the rest is red. He painted his mesh gloss black. Oh is that your civic in your avatar? I have a 93 Rx7 (hence my name).
Old 01-26-2003, 05:59 PM
AznAbyss952

thats not my car....yet...if i can get my grades up to a 3.86 or something like that (6 A's and 1 B) then i get it...if not then i get my aunts 89 accord
Old 01-26-2003, 11:36 PM
kevetz99

Wait, NopistonRX7, does your brother have a real skyline, or are you talking about RC Car bodies?

Kevin
Old 01-27-2003, 06:50 AM
nopistonRX7

Oh no... It cost aroud $85,000 to import an R34 skyline into the States not to mention that you still have to pass the smog test and show proof (to customs) that your car can pass the saftey standards of the US crash test. (yes... right havd drive cars do have different crash test results) My friend who lives in Santa Monica CA (by the beach) own's a R33 GTR skyline though. He converted his to left hand drive though. I think that was stupid but oh well. No my brother has a 94 type R integra he sold his Japanese GSR for it. I know a place who imports some honda's and acura's so I was able to get him one for 8,000 cash. I've also had a 93 Japanese civic hatchback SiRII. I sold it for about 11,000 here in the states which I used to buy my 93 Rx7. So much faster!
Old 01-27-2003, 07:55 PM
kevetz99

Yea, I was gonna say if he had a real skyline, he'd be a "legend" lol. Thats cool though. I like the civic's becuase they have so many parts for them, but then again, everyone has a civic.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:36 PM
nopistonRX7

My point exactly. It was cool since I was the only one with a right hand drive civic around where I live but I still didn't like the fact that it was a civic. too many of them but I love the engines. The SiRII's came stock with the B16 engine but I ripped it out and put a B18C5 in it. Cost a bundle though. There are a few guys here in so.Cal that have R34's though. One guy has an all black one and he gets about 500+hp at the wheels on pump gas. My rx7 will be at the level someday.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:05 PM
kevetz99

Wow, that's awesome!