Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)

Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)

Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
nickrummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)

Well I've been wanting to airbrush a body for some time now. A while back a friend let me borrow their airbrush and I tried doing some flames on a mustang body I had. I didn't even get to try to paint it because I got so frustrated with putting the masking on. I was using a thick vinyl which was my problem.

Anyways, I scored a free airbrush from a friend who was selling it in a yard sail. It's a paasche single action. I picked up some Faskcolor paints, some tamiya masking tape and got a stock Mt2 18ss body from a friend that he never used.

Took me about an hour but I put down the mask. Masked the windows and masked a basic design. Also masked off the bed of the truck. Then I just ripped the tape away from the edge of the masking to give it a torn effect. hopefully it comes out nice.

Here is the body masked up.

Then I put a coat of black on the bed of the truck and the painted on the shadow under the torn endge of the masking tape. I did the painting at lunch today. I'm looking to go back after work and put another coat of black on the bed.

Is anyone else using the Faskolor paints? Do you thin them out to use them or use them straight from the bottle? I ended up running my compressor at 30psi because anything lower and I was getting spots and not a fine mist. If you are thinning them out what are you using to do so?

Feel free to add any opinions, corrections, etc.... I'm looking to learn!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 PM
nickrummy

Default RE: First attempt at airbrushing.... (progress thread)

Got some more time to spray at lunch. Put 2 coats of the black on yesterday, put down the 1st coat of silver pearl today. I'll put another coat on after work then cover the silver with a few coats of white.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM
rc monkey

Looks good[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
vielecustoms

I'm useing the faskolors I also had problem with it spitting and I constantly have to adjust the nozzle because some times it sprays too much or it plugs alittle and spray almost no paint. being water based you just add it right from the bottle to your paint cup I'd say add a little water if its too thick but if you add too much it will screw the paint up so you would have to experiment a little. I'll check to see if they say anything else. ... Also if you use the glitter (??fasglitter??) put it on first than the paint[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
nickrummy

I thinned some out and sprayed and it helped. What are some good tools to use for cleaning the airbrush? I'm using thinner but it still seems near impossible to get it perfectly clean. Everytime I THINK I have it clean I go back to spray some paint and its clogged. Then it takes 10 minutes to get everything cleaned out to work and it still spits paint.

what is the best way to mix the paint? I've heard about using a marble in there but my jars are glass, I don't want to shake that around. Will stirring with a tootpick work?

the body i'm working on is turning out good. I'm goin to spray a new color tonight for its first coat so I would like the get the paint flowing correctly so it sprays on evenly.

ORIGINAL: vielecustoms

I'm useing the faskolors I also had problem with it spitting and I constantly have to adjust the nozzle because some times it sprays too much or it plugs alittle and spray almost no paint. being water based you just add it right from the bottle to your paint cup I'd say add a little water if its too thick but if you add too much it will screw the paint up so you would have to experiment a little. I'll check to see if they say anything else. ... Also if you use the glitter (??fasglitter??) put it on first than the paint[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM
jombo

the paint job looks good.
if thats the passcha air brush i had spitting problems with it. i also thought it was the paint i used and decided just to try it with water and it still spit . my friend has the aztec and a bagger and he says it works pretty good. i even brought mine to him to try and he couldnt figure out what was wrong. for some reason the doubble action airbrush was defective and i returned it and got the bagger. has anyone else had this problem.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
nickrummy

I think I figured it out. It is a single action brush. I thinned out the red I shot last night and it helped A LOT. Still wasn't as fine as it could be. I'm going to strip the gun down adn clean it REALLY good after I'm done with this body.

What is a good way to clean out the needles? It seems impossible to keep those things perfectly clean. I have been using thinner but it doesn't take the paint off inside the needles.

Here is an update. About 3 coats of fluorescent red added yesterday. I'll be putting another coat or two and then I'm just going to buy a spray can of white and coat the whole body in a few coats of white and be done. I don't think its to bad for a first try. I've definitely learned a lot of things.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Rs43EVOman

Man i cant wait to get an airbrush. Ive got a whole bunch of ideas, that arent too hard with an airbrush, but take hours, and hours of masking with the spray can, and never turn out that great.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Rs43EVOman

So what would you guys reccoemnd as a first air brush. I want somthing that isnt too expensive that will do its job well. I dont wanna spend money on an airbrush thats just gonna spit out paint, and work reliebly when i could spend a little extra money on somthing relible
Old 12-31-2006, 10:48 PM
mc_awa

it look nice
Old 01-05-2007, 04:10 PM
loganjoel

I would recomend a good double action airbrush like an iwata eclipse or iwata hp-c. With a double action air-brush, you can control the amount of paint coming from the gun and get better results with tapered strokes. Also, when you are trying to clean your air-brush, when using water based paint, try cleaning it with windex. It works really well. Water based paint thinned with thinner just turns to jello and is near impossible to clean off. If the paint is solvent based, clean it with solvent. If it is water based, clean with water or water based cleaner.
Also, a double action air-brush is easier to clean than a single. Just turn a screw, remove needle, flush brush with cleaner, wipe off needle, reassemble and continue painting.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:12 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I use faskolor myself, and I thin it down with a mix of half water and half windex. learned that off a friend whos been painting non RC stuff forever. I use about 3 - 5 parts paint to one part water/windex epending how fine of detail I'm doing (approx. I dont actually measure).
To clean m airbrush, i just let it sit in a cup of hot water wtih some dish soap. Then Wipe it off and rinse it. Always seems to work for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:08 PM
imagnarts

airbrush stencils now available at
www.imastencil.com
can be specialized on request logos etc. sized for RC's
eliminate the time consuming masking. reuse as many times wanted.
the new world of rc'ing
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 AM
RGX Blade

as a Autmotive painter may i recommend trying AutoAircolors.com there you can find the "Right" paint....Parma buys from createx in it's un-refined form and rebottles it...
which is why it "Spits" and clogs you will need a .5 tip or bigger to spray these paints...
(Basicly an AirGun like a Small Touch Up gun)
windex and water helps, but ask any Automotive panter they wouldn't be caught doing it.
it "Works" but not the best thing to Advise ,would recommend AutoAir Reducer #4003
Faskolor is good for larger areas
for the most part it is the same as using "Textile" paints will need to bring the air pressure to about 55 to 60 psi.....
hope this can help...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 AM
nickrummy

This paint will flex on lexan bodies?

ORIGINAL: RGX Blade

as a Autmotive painter may i recommend trying AutoAircolors.com there you can find the "Right" paint....Parma buys from createx in it's un-refined form and rebottles it...
which is why it "Spits" and clogs you will need a .5 tip or bigger to spray these paints...
(Basicly an AirGun like a Small Touch Up gun)
windex and water helps, but ask any Automotive panter they wouldn't be caught doing it.
it "Works" but not the best thing to Advise ,would recommend AutoAir Reducer #4003
Faskolor is good for larger areas
for the most part it is the same as using "Textile" paints will need to bring the air pressure to about 55 to 60 psi.....
hope this can help...
Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM
BCSavage

For thinning, I use actual thinners. Usually Tamiya brand. I personally won't use water to thin as I found the paint can lift from the surface after it's dry because adding water to the paint affects it's adhesive properties.

For cleaning the needles, I actually found that using a single strand of wire from a roll of 12g power wire I had laying around really does the trick to get the lumps out.