Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Revo's first Crowd pleaser body finished!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Revo's first Crowd pleaser body finished!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo's first Crowd pleaser body finished!

Well, after my stock black Revo body finally basically ripped itself into two after getting it stuck in a chain link fence, it was finally time to replace it with a new body, not to mention get something more stylish and personal with the upcoming race season. Sadly, with no Toyota or Honda bodies around, I finally settled on Pro-Lines 2.0 body for the Revo 3.3.

I spend several hours last night prepping the body for paint. This was my first one so I knew I was gonna screw up but it was a good learning experience. I brushed the interior of the body with scotch brite pad to allow the paint to stick better and then throughly washed in hot soapy water with a good rinse and pat down dry. Next came the art scetching and tape put down. Around midnight, I was finally ready for paint and some good sleep.

The next morning I was excited to start working on the body. I chose paint that I have used on my computer case modifications since 2001. Rustoleums Mettallic flake, flat and glossy protective enamel have proved great in the past and I decided to do my favorite color scheme, blue/white/silver.

After nearly 6 hours of painting, the hard and nasty smelling work was done. It looked good already!

Thank God I spent the $20 on the pair of lexan scissors including the curved one at my LHS, it made it alot easier. I decided to not bother forking $20 for a body reamer and used me dremel with a grinder bit to do the body posts and other cuts. After about two hours, removal of window masked and outside protective film, I had this.

Now, were starting to get sexy! Now it was time to add the stickers I had managed to collect so far and give it that final touch and nod of support to the products that I will be using. Im hoping to purchase more decals as time goes on. But until then, I crown thee Revo 3.3 "Blizzard" body complete!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 AM
SFC K

Default RE: Revo's first Crowd pleaser body finished!

Nice Job! Nice use of color, but I’m wondering why you chose Rust-Oleum to paint your shell. This paint is not really designed for Lexan shells. I see you used scotch bright pad to scuff the body, but on impact you may experience flaking even though you scuffed the body.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
jgeck90

nice job! i was looking at the pics and thought you were going to cover the blue with tape and paint the white a different color but you didnt, it just looks like the blue was put on, the look is hard to explain but no hard feelings! Great job my man.
jeff
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
HPIracer4

it looks like u used blue painters masking tape??? i always have problems using tape (though i havent sprayed any shells, but i have tried airbrushing on my foamy 3d planes) but liquid mask is from what i hear great compared to tape (unless of course u did use it and im just an idiot lol)
Old 03-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Freezetron

Yeah, i used painters tape, worked great. No residue or anything.