Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Faskolor Painting: Scratching/Chipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 05:08 AM
xtremelexan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faskolor Painting: Scratching/Chipping

Hi all. I’m new to the RC world and I picked up a Traxxas 4Tec a few weeks ago. I’m having the time of my life. I wanted to get into painting bodies to be totally honest. I have had and used an airbrush for years and I recently geared up to paint a few this past week. I painted 3 bodies this weekend. All 3 were toughly washed inside before being sprayed.

Each body has been sprayed a solid color using Faskolor Paint. I have about 4 coats of paint on each body. I was removing the masks on one and hit another area with my finger nail and made a scratch! I thought... dang I didn’t hit it that hard, so I tried scratching the paint off on some other areas. The paint seems SUPER easy to scratch off and I’m totally freaked out!! Am I doing something wrong or are all paint jobs this delicate??? Is there something I need to do for a final coat to protect the bodies?? I want to sell these bodies once I get decent but I can’t imagine selling them if they scratch this easy! Any suggestions??? Please post any advise!!!
Old 03-06-2003, 07:12 PM
1stPlaceRace

Default painting with faskolor

Faskolor will not harden (cure) completely for 48 hours. But you should ALWAYS back your paint with FASKOAT, It is a thin clear fluid almost like glue. (you can use it to apply magazine pictures on lexan). It gets super hard,provides superior scratch protection and fuel proofs up to 40% nitro. I use it everyday. Since I paint 5-10 bodies a week I use a separate airbrush just for it, Clean up is VERY important when airbrushing faskoat. Have a great day. stan www.1stPlaceRace.com
Old 03-06-2003, 07:37 PM
xtremelexan

Thanks. I actually went up to the rc shop around the corner and got the same answer. Here's what I ended up with for my first paint job. What do you think for a first go?

Old 03-06-2003, 07:39 PM
xtremelexan

hey 1stPlaceRace, what are you using for all the chrome finished bodies on your website? is that paint a decal or some type of material on the insides?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:53 PM
1stPlaceRace

All the chrome on my site is painted with alclad 2 chrome. It goes on almost clear, then you back it with fasblack and you have a mirror. It works well and is about as durable as pactra enamel. Some of my jobs are also alclad 2 color changing paint. It runs $8-$13 per oz. Thanks stan www.1stplacerace.com