Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

real car paint on an rc body?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
RC_THLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real car paint on an rc body?

is the reason why real automotive paint not used is because its not elastic?ie: when the body flexs or bends the paint will crack? cause if so i noticed at work the other day we sell flex additive to be used on bumpers and what not u know things that will flex and according to the can it will allow the paint to be "elastic" just wondering if any one has tried ? this would open an opportunity of color selections! on another note we do have a guy who comes in and paints rc boats but those are a lot more sturdy than the car truck bodys!LOL
Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: real car paint on an rc body?

hmm. thats funny i was curious about that myself. i wanted to do my t-maxx body like my full size truck and was curious about using the manufacturers paint and just adding the flex additive. if i had an airbrush i would of tried it already. although if you had an airbrush i wouldnt think you wouldnt have to worry about it because you have alot more color options opposed to a can and i believe you can mix it up and make your own colors. dont know how differant the automotive paint is versus the airbrush. i would think that they are very similar just differant sizes. need someone on here that has alot of experience with an airbrush to shine some light on this. wonder how much it would be to have macco paint the body for me lol[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Anthoop

Yes you would be able to use automotive paints to paint a shell.However you will need to use a clear adhesion promoter to ensure the paint adheres to the shell.
If your using base coat it will not require a flexable additive(base coat will remain flexable)but you'll need to seal the base coat with laquer,i would give it a dust coat,with say only 5% flexable additive(in the laquer) as you should not have a thick enough coat to warrant anymore.
Hope this helps.Btw was an automotive painter for 11 years working for VAG,Mercedes and Porsche.
Edit:
Disadvantages of using automotive paint would be excess weight.
Yes you can mix any colour imaginable,the pic below is a colour i mixed myself.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
ShootPaint

Anthoop is right on with most everything he said.

The biggest reason it isnt used is due to the additional need of flex agents, adhesion promoters, thinners as well as the quantity.
Automotive paint will work just fine but after you add all these additional costs in the price of latex, enamel or laquer based model/rc paint is a better option. All of these paints contain the various items need to get proper bonding and flexing of the paint at no additional cost. The only item you have to buy, other than the paint, is a reducer to get it thin enough to flow through an AB.

With the various different brands of paint:

Kustom Kolor
Createx
Parma FasKolor
SpazStix
Testors (both Latex and Enamel)
AutoAir
etc...

By using the above paints you can achieve most any color your heart could desire as well as most any effect you could want. Each company produces a good range of paints that are all mixable to achieve a desired color. The biggest issue is just getting people to think backwards when painting a RC body, unless they are painting the outside of the body and then they can think normally.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Anthoop, ShootPaint, thanks for your advice. will take a note when it comes time to do that. gonna have to invest in an airbrush soon. i have used the mirage dupli-color in the past with very good results. similar to the FasKolor and SpazStix chameleon paint. rolled the truck twice and once end over end; it cracked the body before the paint chipped. very surprised.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 PM
ShootPaint

The purchase of a AB is a lot of personal opinion but I would highly recommend you get a dual action gravity feed AB.
My personal choice is the Iwata Revolution HP-CR. That is a great brush for roughly $65.

I would also recommend www.coastairbrush.com for your upcoming purchase of a AB as well as any supplies you might need.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
RC_THLR

what about standard model paint?? like something u would use on a revell monogram?? i ask cause i have seen that house of color has their own line so u can air brush or use rattle can.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM
ShootPaint

ORIGINAL: RC_THLR

what about standard model paint?? like something u would use on a revell monogram?? i ask cause i have seen that house of color has their own line so u can air brush or use rattle can.
You mean the Kustom Kolor line of paints???

If that is what you are talking about then yes they work just fine. These are my preferred paints but I have to drive two hours to get them so they are used very sparingly right now. If you are purchasing these at the local Wally World dont get the AB thinner sold in the store. Goto your local automotive store and have them order you the House of Kolor 311 reducer. It works much better.

In a real pinch you can use Acetone to thin with. Go light on the acetone though!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM
IOWAREVO

With the kustom Kolor paints are you still painting the inside of the body??? Sorry don't mean to hijack the is thread
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
ShootPaint

Yes, you still paint the inside of the body with the KK paints.

Here are some photos of a couple bodies I did with the KK line of Paints.
By the way this one is for sale. The guy I did it for sold his 8ight and wants to sell this body.

8T
I did use SpazStix Hard Ano yellow on this one but everything else is KK paint.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 AM
RC_THLR

ORIGINAL: ShootPaint

Yes, you still paint the inside of the body with the KK paints.

Here are some photos of a couple bodies I did with the KK line of Paints.
By the way this one is for sale. The guy I did it for sold his 8ight and wants to sell this body.

8T
I did use SpazStix Hard Ano yellow on this one but everything else is KK paint.

yeah im just looking to achieve a custom finish with out a bunch of weight and $$ in materials such as what real paint cost and all the work to prep if the hous of kolor stuff in the model isle will work then im in buisness!! btw great job on those two bodies!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 AM
ShootPaint

You can use most any model paint but be aware a lot of the model paints dont contain any flex agents. There are only a few models paints that you would want to use on a RC body. The KK line is the only one I can recommend. I have tried the testors stuff when I was in a pinch before and it doesnt hold up well!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 AM
RC_THLR

great thanx again for all ur help 1 last question. if i was to use the kk paints should i clear all on the inside when im done?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 PM
ShootPaint

I would recommend it.
I dont believe the fuel will react with the KK paints since they are an enamel based paint but you might as well for the added protection.

When spraying the KK paints I use Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear enamel and put down 4 thin coats. Dont spray it to thick or it will make the body become a little rigid.

If you go with some kind of acrylic I would use the Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic to coat it. Then follow that up with the Rust-Oleum.
If using both paints I only do three coats of Krylon and two coats of the Rust-Oleum.

On a side note.

I have been working with my LHS to get the KK line of paints in stock. After several weeks of phone calls, emails and what nots. It appears Great Planes is going to be carrying the KK line of paints so just about any local hobby store should now have access to the Kustom Kolor line of paints!!! According to the owner of my LHS they should be getting their first shipment of paints within the next couple of weeks!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
RC_THLR

I would recommend it.
I dont believe the fuel will react with the KK paints since they are an enamel based paint but you might as well for the added protection.

When spraying the KK paints I use Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear enamel and put down 4 thin coats. Dont spray it to thick or it will make the body become a little rigid.

If you go with some kind of acrylic I would use the Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic to coat it. Then follow that up with the Rust-Oleum.
If using both paints I only do three coats of Krylon and two coats of the Rust-Oleum.

On a side note.

I have been working with my LHS to get the KK line of paints in stock. After several weeks of phone calls, emails and what nots. It appears Great Planes is going to be carrying the KK line of paints so just about any local hobby store should now have access to the Kustom Kolor line of paints!!! According to the owner of my LHS they should be getting their first shipment of paints within the next couple of weeks!!!

as funny as this may be i have seen the kk lne of paints at my local walmart u may want to check there i bet it would be a little bit less than ur lhs.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
ShootPaint

ORIGINAL: RC_THLR

I would recommend it.

On a side note.

as funny as this may be i have seen the kk lne of paints at my local walmart u may want to check there i bet it would be a little bit less than ur lhs.
The KK line is not availible through my local Wally World. The closest place to me is about 2 hours away. This is why we are working to get them into our LHS.
I have searched almost the entire state looking for them and they are only availible in the big cities around here. The smaller stores dont carry the line nor does it look like they will get it anytime soon.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
mwstretch

If using auto paint or House of Color don't bother with the flex agent. They are naturaly flexable. You want to use a bonding agent though. I use Bull Dog, I works great.