Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Starter Air Brush Kit

Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
lilshank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Air Brush Kit

Can someone point me in the right direction of a good air brush kit to pick up? I had one years ago but it was cheap and didnt work very wel.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
ShootPaint

Default RE: Starter Air Brush Kit

If you plan on brushing several bodies your best bet is to purchase something along the lines of the Iwata HP-CR Revolution. This isnt a kit but is probably the best brush out there for the bucks you have to lay down. This AB will run you roughly $65

If you want to turn it into a complete kit hit up your local wally world and pick up a Campbell 1 gallon oil less compressor. It has a built in regulator to control the pressure to your AB, so that is a plus. This can be had for roughly $70.

Next purchase a Iwata AB air hose when you purchase the brush. Can be had for somewhere from $5-30 depending on the length and type of hose you get.

Your total cost $150.00

If you are looking to go a cheaper route you can check out some of the various different brands such as Badger, Paasche, Aztek, etc... None of these brushes are of the same grade as the Iwata brush but they are very functional and will allow you to grow as a painter. If you continue on you will most likely want to upgrade to a better brush such as the Iwata listed above.

Two things I would recommend you get in your new AB.
1) Make sure it is a dual action
2) Gravity fed paint

The above are personal preferrences but I think most will agree that the combination of these two things in a AB will allow for much growth in AB'ing, than a single action siphon feed.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM
lilshank

$150 isnt bad at all. Think ill go pick one up tomorrow. I've been looking at all the cars in the "your projects" thread, I see alot of awsome designs. Is there a key to air brushing graphics? Just masking off or are their stencils? lol im very new to all this. I'm used to painting by brush and not very good at that. I cant imagine masking off some of the designs i've seen.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
ShootPaint

There are some stencils, masking, and even freehand.

You design will determine which media you need to use to achieve the desired results.
I personally like to use liquid mask on the entire body to make sure no overspray reachs the body in a area it shouldnt be. This is a little over kill but it is just how I like to do it.
By using the liquid mask and a hobby knife you can make some pretty killer designs. After you have it cut out you paint each color by removing that area of mask.

It isnt as hard as it sounds but it does take a little practice.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:07 AM
lilshank

Yeah Ive heard alot of good things about liquid mask. Is there a good site to buy online? Have no idea where to look for it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:57 PM
ShootPaint

As far as online sites. The best place to purchase your AB from has to be www.coastairbrush.com
They also carry a large line of paint and accessories for AB's.

For the liquid mask I would give www.midmohobbyshop.com a shout, you might even ask them about the AB. These guys are in Jeff City, MO.
John has the best price on the Bob Dively's liquid mask that I have seen.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:11 PM
lilshank

went to hobby lobby today (before I read this) and bought a iwata eclipse 4500. I like the pistol trigger on the revolution so im gonna take this one back and buy that i think i dunno. As for the compressor i think im gonna have to order one online.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 PM
lilshank

whats the acrylic paint from tamiya like?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 PM
paintball4ever90

Hey lilshank, i'am going to Kansas, and im going to Columbus thats the town im staying in, but we go over to Mo to go shopping and stuff like that but anyways, i was going to bring my revo 3.3 but didn't think i would be able to find a hobby store over there that carries nitro for the revo, any that you know of in Kansas?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:28 PM
lilshank

There are alot of hobbytown usa's around here, they carry some stuff, i was disappointed with the one in kc off metcalf though. I do all my shopping online now that I found towerhobbies.com. Just got into the hobby this week bro so havent had a chance to scope everything around here out yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:14 PM
ShootPaint

Check out www.amainhobbies.com
They will have most anything tower has and then some, not to mention better prices.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
lilshank

just check them out, nice site, ordered a cooling head. Do you know of any sites that offer a pack of airbrush paint. I dont want to have to buy them all individualy and I want to stick with one good brand. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 AM
TylerF

createx paints. You would save lots of money if you buy them in bulk like 32 OZ. www.coastairbrush.com is the place for paints . I think they have a paint set too like you where wanting.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:34 PM
ShootPaint

ORIGINAL: TylerF

createx paints. You would save lots of money if you buy them in bulk like 32 OZ. www.coastairbrush.com is the place for paints . I think they have a paint set too like you where wanting.
+1 for what Tyler said.

I would make sure to ask them about a 6 pack instead of the 4 pack they sale.
You can purchase the kits at Hobby Lobby or most Michaels with 6 colors for roughly $18.
I would think Coast would have these kits as well but the ones I saw on their site only had four or 5 colors in the kit.