Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

NEW AIRBRUSH QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
jetmd1967

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW AIRBRUSH QUESTION

I just got a new dual action airbrush and compressor. Do any of you have pics you can post of your indoor painting set up? I am going to make a homemade desktop paint booth and wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
ShootPaint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW AIRBRUSH QUESTION

I dont have any pictures of the setup I am running but there are several things to consider when trying to make a paint booth.

The first thing you have to take into account is the type of paint you are using!!!
If you are using a solvent based paint you must use some form of sealed motor/explosion proof fan for the ventilation. If you dont you run the risk of of the motor sparking and causing an explosion!!!

If you are using latex paint you can get away with about any form of fan you want to use. You should still try using a sealed motor fan as this keeps the paint out of the motor and allows the fan to run much longer.

Another nice little feature is to incorporate a filter before the fan. This will catch a lot of the overspray and keep it out of the fan.
I have seen plans for paint booths from the extremely fancy to the cardboard box design. All of them share the same basic concept.
You have a viewing area, air intake, usually some form of filter (if no filter is used the exhaust air is ventilated outside of the building), and a fan to draw the air through the paint chamber.

If you check out www.cfxpaintworks.com you can find some designs for paint booths there. I can remember the forum they are in but I have seen a few designs there.