Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Please help out this airbrush newbee

Old 09-09-2007, 10:26 AM
ArildS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help out this airbrush newbee

My first batch of airbrush paint is here. The immense incredibly dangerous Spazstik flammable laquer based paints, so dangerous that they are almost impossible to get hold of. [&:]

So my question is. What outrageously dangerous diluter can I use? I have Lynol, Aceton and Thinner. Can they all be used to dilute the paint and clean the airbrush? Or will my results be best if I use Thinner?

AND, for the water based Faskolor paints from Pharma. How to dilute? Just distilled water? Or just 'kitchen water'?
Do I need any hydrocarbon based solvents to clean the airbrush after Faskolor use?

Any info helps since I am an airbrush newbee. The Lunchbox body is the first to 'receive' color from my airbrush kit.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
speenair

Default RE: Please help out this airbrush newbee

I have used faskolor before with success so I can tell you about that.... You do not need to dilute them. The proper word is thin. They may appear thick, but I put them in the cup crank the pressure up to 35- 40 and spray away, if you want to do some detail work with a lower psi then you can thin them with water, i use distilled to be safe, (tape water is full of chemicals like chlorine which might affect it). All you need is a teaspoon or two for the whole bottle.
Faskolor cleans up with water alone, but a little blue windex mixed in there helps a bit to remove dried on paint.
For a newbie practice disassembling your airbrush before you begin painting something, make sure everything you have is near you when airbrushing. Spray a clear pop bottle or something to get the hanldle of it. Be paitient too allowing proper dry time between coats, 5-10 mins with faskolor. Only use one type of paint on a project because laquers and water based paints do funny things when layered on one another. the First coat is a very light mist, then do two heavy coats and that should provide good coverage, shape corners and bumps might get missed a little bit so touch those up as you go along.

Tamiya lunchboxes are awesome, if I recall does that body come clear or is it white plastic, because if it is white plastic different paints must be used, just checking...

Have fun. hope this helps
Old 09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
ArildS

ORIGINAL: speenair

I have used faskolor before with success so I can tell you about that.... You do not need to dilute them. The proper word is thin. They may appear thick, but I put them in the cup crank the pressure up to 35- 40 and spray away, if you want to do some detail work with a lower psi then you can thin them with water, i use distilled to be safe, (tape water is full of chemicals like chlorine which might affect it). All you need is a teaspoon or two for the whole bottle.
Faskolor cleans up with water alone, but a little blue windex mixed in there helps a bit to remove dried on paint.
For a newbie practice disassembling your airbrush before you begin painting something, make sure everything you have is near you when airbrushing. Spray a clear pop bottle or something to get the hanldle of it. Be paitient too allowing proper dry time between coats, 5-10 mins with faskolor. Only use one type of paint on a project because laquers and water based paints do funny things when layered on one another. the First coat is a very light mist, then do two heavy coats and that should provide good coverage, shape corners and bumps might get missed a little bit so touch those up as you go along.

Tamiya lunchboxes are awesome, if I recall does that body come clear or is it white plastic, because if it is white plastic different paints must be used, just checking...

Have fun. hope this helps
Tnx for the tips man. Just painted the LB body now (Parma clear Lexan. Original is white plastic). Turned out awesome in mirror chrome.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
speenair

excellent, post some pics.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
ArildS

ORIGINAL: speenair

excellent, post some pics.
Will to in the Lunchbox thread by (by Lunchboxer). As soon as I can (will take a little time though).
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM
MOVMX Racer

For faskolor, you shouldn't use 1-2 teaspoons unless you want it REALLY thin. Parma reccomends only 5-10 drops to thin the paint. If you thin it too much it will have to go on in thinner coats so it wont run and have a longer drying time. For cleanup between colors, spray a little warm water through the airbrush to remove any paint and then I would reccomend disassembling the airbrush and thoroughly cleaning it with warm water and a little windex (amonia). Don't make the mistake of leaving paint in there to cake up because it is VERY hard to get out!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 AM
ArildS

Thanx for your feedback. You can see the finished (almost) Silverbox here