Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

?? Tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 02:40 AM
svt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? Tires ??

how do you remove old tires with out buying new rims ? Does anybody know ?? I like my rims and don't want to spend the money yet .... thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 02:57 AM
rcidiot728

Default ?? Tires ??

did u use foam inserts or glue the tires to the rims, if not, they should be able to come off with some effort

i know mine can, but i dont know if u have a traxxas stampede
Old 03-24-2003, 03:00 AM
svt1

Default ?? Tires ??

used glue can I use acidtone like for nail polish so that I can steal my wifes hahaha .... she is putting them under hot water like that is going to work . I am just cutting them off with a knife
Old 03-24-2003, 03:49 AM
rcidiot728

Default ?? Tires ??

sorry bud, looks like u gotta buy new rims and tires, cuz once they glued, its permanent, but i'm sure some science whiz knows how u can take them apart witout meltin the rims, or tires... nothin's impossible

i got an idea, if u still have the glue bottle, look on the back of it, there might be a solution to if it comes in contact wit ur skin, if so that would be your best bet

good luck
Old 03-24-2003, 04:22 AM
dirtman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default ?? Tires ??

I put a big pot of water on the stove and tried boiling them off.
Then after I screwed up 2 out of 4 of the tires, I went out and bought new rims and tires. IMHO it's not worth fartin' around with!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:31 AM
KyleSch

Default ?? Tires ??

Yes, you can try boiling them, but I believe that it has to be at least boiling, and you have to let it sit for around 5-10 minutes. Your tires will be wasted but oh well. Another thing you can do is just rip the tires off, even if you have to use a hobby knife to cut the tire open then use some sandpaper once you get the tire off to even out any extra glue/tire that is still on the rim. Your best bet is just to get new rims though. You can get them for around 6 dollars a pair so they aren't that expensive.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:34 AM
svt1

Default ?? Tires ??

THANKS FOR THE HELP KEEP THE INFO COMING EVEYBODY CAN USE IT
Old 03-26-2003, 05:53 AM
segfault

Default removing old tires from RIMS

I have met with some success using 'Z-7 debonder'. It is safe for plastic wheels.

If you allow the prescribed amount of time it will work.

However, I was a bit over ambitious and destroyed a good set of IMEX J-Hawgs.

I have aluminum wheels. I ultimately used a very corrosive paste stripper to clean the wheels (my intention was to remove the paint) I found it also (rather nicely) disolved all of the glue and remnants of rubber left from when I ripped the tires from the wheels.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:11 AM
svt1

Default ?? Tires ??

where can I pick some up?? right now I am letting them soak in acetone for nail polish that I took from the wife
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65787_30916.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	40020  
Old 03-26-2003, 07:19 AM
segfault

Default debonder

I purchased Z-7 from my local hobby shop; about $4 for the bottle.

It is a "debonding agent for super glues" as it reads on the bottle. It is designed to remove "Cyanoacroylates", also known as "CA" glue, which is a component in the composition of many types of super glue.

If you know that the wheels were attached with a tire glue for RC cars, then this is likely to break the bond and should leave you with tires and wheels in re-usable condition.

If you cannot locate this at your hobby shop then a craft store may carry it.

I just checked the a current Tower Hobbies catalog and I do not see it listed, however that doesn't mean they don't have it.

good luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Jbbxxxnt
My Feedback: (1)

Default ?? Tires ??

If you turn the oven on to about 350 and let it preheat and then put the tires and rims on a cookie sheet, turn the oven off and let them set in the oven until it is completely cooled off it makes the glue very brittle and easier to get the tires off. I haven't tried this but know someone who has and it worked for them.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:57 AM
svt1

Default ?? Tires ??

will I have been leaving them in the acetone for about 6 hrs and it is removing the remaining part of the tire and glue . since I have cut as much of the tire off they were home made slicks from always burning the tires. I bought a new set of tires I don't know about putting the tires in the oven ( can you say chocolate chip tires ) haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	66042_30916.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	40021  
Old 03-27-2003, 04:41 AM
jbjustin33415

Default ?? Tires ??

Acetone is the best way, usually only takes a day, if you rip the tire off the rim. Then the acetone will eat up the super glue and the pieces of rubber will come off. I do it all the time.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:51 PM
svt1

Default ?? Tires ??

well I just finshed the last rim and now I have my old rims and a new set of tires time to reinstall them of my nitro 4tec