Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

hammerite

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
mark.b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hammerite

before everyone tells me it been posted before about paint removal , i cant find anything about my problem , i purchased a mercedes bodyshell off ebay a while ago , it arrived already painted black , i decided to fit it about eight weeks ago to give my focus shell a rest as it was looking a bit tatty , after a couple of outings i noticed the paint was starting to craze around the rear windows , i managed to clear it off by scraping it with a finger nail , i then touched it up using tamiya black lexan spray , gradually it has got worse , but i had paid quite a bit on decals etc , i didnt want to throw the body away , i have used brake fluid,brake cleaner,acetone,carb cleaner,lighter fuel, metal polish and barbecue lighting fluid , none have worked , all that happens is the paint goes sticky and as soon as you try to remove it the bit you have gone over goes hard again , i have tried soaking it overnight nothing happened , my neighbour says he has had a similar problem removing a paint called hammerite ,which can only be removed using the companys own brand of thinner , but he tells me it will melt my body pretty much on contact , i really need help as i dont want to throw this body away
Old 10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hammerite

Unless it was painted with water based paint , you won`t get the paint off without smoking the body which then it is basically garbage .