Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

RGX Tutorials Advanced Class

Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM
RGX Blade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RGX Tutorials Advanced Class

he ya everyone, here is the tread for advanced to Intermediate Tutorials for Airbrushing of all stages..
from Helmets to full scale, to good O'l R/C cars we all like to paint!!

Questions from Paint to "What" Paint, to how to mix for everything Inbetween..
No Blurals here!
to "How To Make Your Own Templets"
thats gonna be also on CD soon as well !!! most of which we do on our Chopper and Helmet painting! but can be used in Countless Applications for the R/C Market !!

from in the Garage r/c painting to "Production" painting....

some Vids and of corse some pics uploaded soon,
in the meantime some examples of various works Anyone can do!! with our Tutaledge....
can also see some of the more "Simple" stuff at Undergrond R/C

Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 AM
RGX Blade

Default RE: RGX Tutorials Advanced Class

works in"Progress"

Old 01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
RGX Blade

old school
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
RGX Blade

Old 01-02-2008, 08:15 AM
RGX Blade

this might look familar to many that seen the magazines?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM
RGX Blade

as well we'll show you how to "Not" make your "Templet" look like a templet...
we'll show some examples in a few..
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 PM
RGX Blade

here are 2 examples of how "ANYONE" can paint using simple "Tecniques" we teach to our in house "Students" all the time.
these are from a simple "Templet"
both were for clients for the R/C as well as for there personal rides.
the one with the red flame was also used on a R/C car to give an idea of what details can be done on a R/C car.
hope this can help those looking for more info,
if you have Questions again feel free to write us at: Razorgrafix23@hotmail.com

Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 PM
RGX Blade

also we'll show you how to "Never Pay" over inflated prices from online painters again! how to price!
and how shop to keep from paying over 50.00 ,60.00 even a 100.00 for most paint jobs you can do your self!!

to paint your real ride maybe a different story, may want to consualt your "Local" Automotive painters
but in reality some paint jobs for 2 or 3 simple colors we have seen some individuals being charged up to 60.00!! and that did not even include the body!!!
we'll post here in a few how to do a simple paint job a "Quickie" as we call it..
(something Anyone can paint in 2 hours or less) with spray equipment or rattle can as many call them.

in simple 90% is your Preping of the surface your going to be painting.
be it a Semi (tractor trailer), 90K chopper,"Show car", Dragster and yes of Course a R/C car body
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
RGX Blade

ok, here's some pics of some simple wys to do a "Quick" design,
hope this can help...
Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
RGX Blade

ok, here were starting on a simple design...
as you can see i laid down the "Tape" where it is not "Perfect" on "Purpose" to show you no need to worry if it is not "Just Perfect"
reasn being you just need the area that "WILL Be Painted" to be good...
and another good idea "Do Not Use" the Blue tape allot of magazines tell you to use !! "REASON" since i been dong this kinda of work since about 78'-79' ya learn to read some of the lables! and ifyou look carefully on the inside, it "Reads" do not use with Lacquer based products...this tape is made for "HOUSE PAINTING", LATEX PAINTS !!! you can use it...it can "Work" but you'll be taking a chance.
many will say i been using it for years!! well good for them i am here to keep the bad painting habbits from starting in th first place !!!
further more you'll never see a "Professional" automotive painter use it to mask off a 300K CAR !!!
so start and get the good 3M tape!!
here we go!!
now if you have a Basic design you'd like to start with use a "Sharpe" and draw a "Loose" outlineof what you would like...
(see where the tape is not "Perfect" where it ends?, cause we cuttig that away anyways)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
RGX Blade

the last pic shows the tape just covers the first half of the design, and if you cant make a straight line, thats OK!!
the one i am showing here i am making Very simple just a quick "Squiggle"
used new Blades and if you feel it "Draggng" replace the blade, with good but light pressure...

good way to practice,is get a small piece from the body around the "Edges" for example..put some tae and make a few practice score cuts if your not feeling supper confiedent...

heres that Squiggle lne on the outside again..

and here it shows it cut..
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
RGX Blade

ok, now were "Almost ready !!

as you can see in the pics the tape in not perfect, thats ok, but make sure where it over laps there are no rased edges or bad "Creases" where the paint could get under...
now is a good time to check your tape!!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
RGX Blade

now for this pic i used a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS same ones we let or Students use and run around 95.00 to 100.00
if you get one of these be sure to get it with the "Teflon Needle Bearing" that way you can spary "Anything" water based Lacqure based and the ever Popular Poloyurethanes used more and more here in California
but what ever brand you use or Get, be sure you "Feel" comfortable with it... no need to get some $400.00 Custom Iwata Micron
there great we use those too but mostly for our "Photo Restoration" we do as well...

ok, so here the customer wanted some Black shading, so we hita Quick shade around some of the edges.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
RGX Blade

here are some quick freehand flames for where the motor head sticks through.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
RGX Blade

and here at the last minute, the customer wanted to know if they could get some quick lines o the sides nothing crazy they said so we said no problem
we just used some 1/4 inch tape, heres a quick tip go to your local paint store instead of your local Hobby shop you can save a ton on tape! the hobby shops will charge up to 8.00 or 9.00 dollars for the same roll you can get for 2.50 from your paint store.
2in. run around 3.00 same for 1in. and get a few 1/4 and some 1/8
sizes are already there no need to try and cut the perfect 1/8 inch line!!! dont make your project harder than it is

Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
RGX Blade

and we added a little shading to those same lines....
when done we put some tape down over them as we were going to make ths a different color....
again no need to be "Perfect" just has to cover the area that "You Do Not Want Painted"

Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
RGX Blade

no many ask well how do you paint th bigger areas with a "Airbrush"
good question, I do not...thats just for getting some of the details...but would take a long time and not come out "Even" in many cases, unless of course your trying to get that effect and that looks Awesome too, but here i am using a "SATA Mini Jet4"
and if i am crancking out more than 7 or 8 bodies for any given day i'll use my Sata Digitals

now i dont recommend running out and getting one of these unless your doing some regular Automotive work or helmets or something? well you could but there "Expensive"
other places have sme for about 40.00 or 50.00 bucks but well worth the money if you do regualr painting or even a few odds and ends around the house...
but many times i'll usea Rattle can in our R/C classes to show you dont have to have "Thousands Of Dollars" in paint equipment to do this..
now for the Cans ,put them in some warm water this will help them spray a little better...when there warm hold the can about 10 or so inches, and lay down a few "LIGHT" TACK Coats...i need to Heavily state first couple of coats go "LIGHT !!!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:53 PM
RGX Blade

now befoe i shot the final "Blue" i decided to add a "Tad" more color so i busted out the Iwata and hit some of the edges with some "Purple" not heavy just a little but you can add as much as ya like....
and when hit with the final blue it makes a killer looking "Blue" !!!
so i added a little purple, then hit with the final backcolor.....

after that as you can see in the pics, i decided to add a Pinstripe...nothing fancy real simple...just followed the front spikes a little...
kinda hard to see but look close it's there, so i hit tat with a lighter blue butdark enough so when i hit the front witha "Blue" shade
it doesn't discolor it...
Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
RGX Blade

and for the Final, i pulled off the front tape added some Blue shading with my trusty Iwata Eclipse...

and becasue the back where the stripes are i did those "Undershadows" remember those...
i just pulled the tape off because the "White" when we hit it will not be "Super White" but a few shades different...
so it doesn't look "Totaly all White"
and then hit the entire body with the white, and Viola!! the end result....
i do hope tis can help, and Instill everyones "Confidance" to try it...
any help remember write me be happy to help...
and as well need bodies!! best part our buddies at "JUST BODIES" have all kinds of bodies!!! and all there buggy bodies are just 10.00 !!!
ya read right !!! 10.00 so if you need that Losi 8ight,Kyosho sp-2,Mugen MBX5 or 5R, Jammin,or Hyper, and there Newest the Associated RC8 let us know we'll put you in touch!! they even have some truggy bodies!! starting at 15.00 !!!!
so no need to break the bank !!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Paradoxmaker

Hey Blade, those bodies look killer....

I wondered where you had gone, hadn't seen you on a forum anywhere in a while.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
RGX Blade

yea, i know my bad []

been Painting doing allot of travling for Paint seminars (Iwata) and 2008 Sema Show...
and the ones in Vegas plus all my Classes iTeach for Airbrushing...
(uggh, busy busy).......LOL...

hey Par, don't i owe ya some stickers???
something i thought??? let me know???

Oh, thanks for the Complemnts on the paint!!
it's kinda funny alot of people just thought we did the little R/C cars....
been getting a grip of mail latley about it more and more...
pretty much why i pulled my R/C painting site...got way too busy !!!
same fo the bodies...we dont do them any more but our friends do at "JUST BODIES" not sure if they have a site yet?
but there still selling bodies for 10.00 !!
but yea, been busy painting some major real car action...show cars, like 8 choppers, and a new dragster,and F-4 racing car never seen one of those till last year??? they look just like a F-1 but just a hair scaled down...and not as much....LOL...
yea we got done doing up the Champs Car ,well before he was the champ now he's 2007 F-4 Champ!!
anyways i am rattling off....LOL...
let me know if i owe ya late...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Paradoxmaker

I don't recall if you "owe" me any stickers, but hey i'll never turn down free stuff

Let me know and i'll PM you my address.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 PM
RGX Blade

well hey ya Everyone, just from the amount of mail i have been getting it's good to know the info is helping everyone
now i have gotten a few Questions on Water Bourne paints, and many to the effect of
"Can or Do they Work good For R/C Cars?"
so i put this post from one of my other post
but
sure do,
and for all those wanting to know more heres a few more,
the Createx paint line works great !!
we have been using there paints in our Automotive line for about 10+ years, and there getting better and better for those wanting to use this kind of paints...
HOWEVER !!!
they do make Textile paint as well !!! be sure you have the right kind !!!
Createx is the Manufacture name, and AutoAir is the brand you want to use if doing r/c cars etc....
can get more info at www.Autoaircolors.com as well as see some stuff we did in the past using there paints...
we have pained Dragsters choppers you name it using there paints, as well we use many others as well...
but if paint can hold up at 250+ miles an hour with the flexing and heat, the R/C cars hold up well as well...

now AutoAir has Detail paints made for Airbrush also be sure to use there reducers if needed for "There Paints"
stay away from the "Parma" they buy there paint in "Raw Form" toss in a bottle and call it a day....
and that is made for "Airguns" not a air brush!!
even then you'll need a 1.8 tip just to spray it!!
the same as trying to drink a McDonalds shake through a Coffee Sturring straw!!!

also i included a couple of pics of other items that woudn't hurt to use when using any paints really......
also heres a good tip make sure with AutoAir or any paint really, put your window masking on and "SCUFF" the inside of the body using a red ScotchBright pad or something simular....
then use some good Adheshion Promoter like BullDog you can buy this at most "Automotive paint shops"
have even see this at "Wal-Mart" for around 7.50 for a 12oz can, as compared to a "Tiny" bottle for 5.00 !!!
talk about "Ouch" !!!
also in the pic it shows the difference between the size and cost...
AutoAir will have AutoAir on the bottle...
and are about 4oz depending on the size you need....
parma's are about 2 oz and cost the same as the big AutAir Bottle so you can save about 20.00 30.00 dollars on paints there too!
i am also including a pic of a Quickie Truck we did and a Buggy using "AUTOAIR" paints the buggy was done on a "JUST BODIES" body for a MUGEN MBX5R (and there about 10.00!! for there bodies!! Hit them up!!)
hope this info can help
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
RGX Blade

Old 01-04-2008, 07:51 PM
minidrifter

nice work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.