Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Airbrush help check it out

Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 PM
187maximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush help check it out

ok if you view this please comment, becaus eit takes forever for someone to reply and it frustrates me cz i need to fix fast
but whats happened is that the airbrush doesnt suck the paint out of the botton feed cup no more, it blows air out so it starts to bubble and paint goes everywhere, i dont know how this happened, ive cleaned the WHOLE airbrush fron inside and out taken it ALL apart everything is paint free...ive cleaned it with paint laquer so everything dissolves,,,, and its still happening, and the little tip of the airbrush is kinda cracked at the top, idk how that happened but im just sayn... i thaught it was metal ,,u think its gonna affect anything......please someone help, every little hole in the airbrush is clean and clear and air is running free through idk whats wrong that the think blows air instead of sucking up the paint... PLEASE HELP ASAP....I NEED FOR PROJECT.....
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM
rlem00

Default RE: Airbrush help check it out

It's simply a venturi. Just from what you have described it sounds like you have an airflow problem. Depending on what kind of solvent you used to clean you equipment it can be bad for gaskets and seals. It may seem as though they are clean, and they may be, but on the other hand they can swell. When I've cleaned my spray guns I try to limit soaking the seals in solvent. Wipe it down and let it dry, keep extra orings, gaskets/seals on hand. I've been in around 7 different OEM paint shops and changing orings was SOP when you cleaned a gun. If it is plastic, solvents can break them down an make them brittle over time. I'm sure that there will be those that will dispute what I have just said with things like 'solvent resistant this and solvent resistant that' do what you want. I can tell you that I have had the privilege of working in some world class paint shops with some world class painters and have learned what it takes to run a paint shop and stop problems before they start. I don't have a lot of experience painting rc bodies just full size cars (if you want to see some of my work check out one of the few hundred thousand trail blazers out on the road) I'll do what i can to help you figure out the problem bc paint is fun to me. I'm itching to get an airbrush and play around myself but have too many other things going on right now to justify it.

Some things that you can try are

1) With the gun empty trigger the air and put your finger over the pick up. You should feel a suction, if not you have an air flow problem.

2) Depending on where the airbrush cracked you may be leaking the air out of the crack. When you trigger it on, do you feel air leaking from the crack? Try and do a temp patch on the crack, tape, gum, or anything temporary to 'fill the crack' and see what happens. (this would be my bet)

Post some pics of the problem if you don't fix it and I'll check back later.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 PM
187maximus

people talk about puting bees wax and stuff but i dont,,,,i think thats the problem but i dont know ehre to put it

and yea well heres whats happening, the air isnt geting through as easy as it used to be, when i first got it i blew threw the thing and pressed the trigger, the air flow was normal, now after this i did the same and i gota blow WAY harder for little to NO air goes through
Old 02-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Swamp3r

I found if you are using water based paints( Acrylic) if you run hot water into the bowl(you must keep the water running in the bowl while spraying) while spraying into the sink it while work again. I have problems with my airbrush all the time., and this fixes it every time.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:24 AM
ShootPaint

There are a few things that can cause your problem.

1) The nozzle is clogged.
2) The nozzle cap is clogged.

In either case you need to clean the brush. You are seeing bubbles in your paint because the air cant flow out the brush between the nozzle and nozzle cap. This forces the back down through the nozzle and into your paint cup. This is what is known as backflushing. Under controlled circumstances backflushing is one way to clean a brush before switching colors.

I would recommend you check out www.cfxpaintworks.com There are a lot of painters over there that share their knowledge freely and I am sure they can get you going. Make sure to let them know what type of brush you are using and your problem.