Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Chrome spry paint

Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
omra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome spry paint

Hi all
Just ordered a shell for my hpi baja.I intend on spraying it using fastrax chrome spray paint.Once sprayed,should it be backed with black or left as it is??
regards
OMRA
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM
bluecaka69

Default RE: Chrome spry paint

I always back chrome with black
Old 03-11-2008, 02:26 PM
omra

What about white or silver??
Do you have any pics of yours in chrome??
Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM
caci623

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's 5b with spazstix mirror chrome rattle chrome. The wasp is painted by hand with a brush.
caci623

Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Thai

Love the chrome. And great job on that wasp. Looks really 3D with the shadow. Now I'm thinking maybe I should've done the chrome paint too.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
bluecaka69

ORIGINAL: omra

What about white or silver??
Do you have any pics of yours in chrome??
Backing chrome with black will make it a deeper more "true" mirror chrome, with more reflectivity (sp?). Back with white will make it brighter.

The downside to backing with black is that any thinner spots of chrome paint coverage will show up as a darker cloudy area.

Silver works very well to avoid the thin spots showing.

I use Faskolors black to back most chrome I do

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
omra

Great pics!
Thankyou for the input,much appreciated.Got the shell today,now the task of cutting it out[:@]
Regards omra
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Hardin Valley Magic

That chrome was from a rattle can?? WOW looks great!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
bluecaka69

yes the spaz stix mirror chrome in the rattle can works very well and the head sprays very even
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks awesome, never think spray will lookt that way, I went to their web site but don't know if they are in the US or not, what is the best way to get it or who sells it?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I found it in AmainHobbies.

[&:]
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Beasley1

Does that hold up as well as a regular color or does it crack and peel off?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
caci623

It will hold up fine if you back it in several coats of fascote sealer. Very important to make sure your body is VERY CLEAN before spraying mirror chrome as even a finger print will show up as a smudge. use soap and water to clean, also cleaning helps in the bonding of the paint.
caci623
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I have a Baja shell painted with spaztix. I cleaned it nicely, used their surface prep spray, then did many light coats of the chrome. I backed it with krylon H2O black.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:35 AM
TheTruckingGuru

They sell chrome finish in a can? Wow that looks amazing. Now I want want a chrome body for my Baja. Where do I order the paint and which works best? What about for a full size car ROFL
Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
caci623

go here for your mirror chrome paint http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...aint&search=Go
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
SAVAGEBANE

nice paint jobs people. i wanna know when yall say "backing" does that mean spraying the underside unexposed side of the shell. i always thought you were supposed to spray your main color under the body and leave the top clear. does it have to be "hobby spraypaint" or can i go with auto store regular spraypaint?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
rican25

by backing we mean spraying your paint job on the underside and then when its dry enough spray over top the painted area (in this case still the underside) with a sealer or with another color to further enhance the color you used in the beginning. light colors make the first coat lighter or brighter and darker does the opposite, or deeper, darker.

that wasp is absoluetly freakin awesome!!! its details like the reflection that has me awed.... was the reflection painted or is it a result of the chrome? either way the painted reflection is a piece of work in itself and if it is truly reflecting from the original wasp then the chrome was layed down! laaaaayyyyed down!!!! thats how you spray!!! good work dude!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM
caci623

Hi All,
The wasp and reflection were both painted then the entire body sprayed with chrome. there are actual reflections on other parts of the body that don't exist. this mirror chrome is so reflective I can't photo it outside without getting something reflecting into it.
Caci
If your interested in this type of work go here: www.custompaintedrcbodies.com
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM
eXunforgiven

Hey caci623, Ive seen a few crome jobs before, but yours is the best Ive ever seen. Whats your secret? Can you go into a little more detail with your procedure. For example, can you describe how many coats you sprayed and at what distance from the lexan did you hold the can, Did you warm the rattle can? Is fastcoat sealer all you used to back it?...Im very impressed by your work.

As you can see I have many questions...Maybe you can post up a DIY on this. (If you have the time)
Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM
RcRacer37E

Backing with black is the best way to go, gives the chrome the pop facts. Only bad thing about a chrome body, any and all little scratches in the body will show up. I use rattle can sealer, (plasti-kote clear coat) on the inside and I use some shoe goo were the mud gaurds, body posts hit the body, this help protect the body from rubs that will take off the paint.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM
caci623

Here's how I use the Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome in a rattle can. It's the same with the airbrush as I use both!
1. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! your lexan body first as every speck of dirt, dust, finger print etc will show if you don't. If your painting the chrome last then spot clean again before you spray the chrome. I clean the body with dish soap on a wet paper towel and dry it with a paper towel.
2. I spray it out doors and do several light coats to build it up. I hold the can about 6 inches away and spray in short bursts of paint. Hold it to long and it will run.I hold it up to the Sun or light to see any areas not completely covered. I look at it from the inside not the outside, it's easy to see if you have a solid painted area.
3.I then back it with Faskolor Black, not white or silver or clear. Black will give it the real reflective, deep look.
I then back it with Faskote sealer.
You can use any variation of brands of backer paint and sealer, just back it with a black paint.
Hope this helps
Caci
Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
skullman1963

Has anyone heard of or tried using chrome paint as a backing for a candy paint, to give the body a color chrome effect. If so got any pics, and how did you do it.