Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

scuba regulator

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM
VIPER458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scuba regulator

so i read you can use a scuba tank as an air source for airbrushing but you need a regulator to bring the pressure down. however i cant find them anywhere. anyone have any ideas as to where the might sell them?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 AM
hrdcoreglf

Default RE: scuba regulator

dive shop.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
FalloutMan

How do you attach an airbrush to a scuba reg? Also, what pressure do you set the reg at?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
alpinestar

scuba regs are typically not adjustable like a regular one would be... for good reason! I dive and fly RC as well & would have to suggest a small compressor instead of a scuba tank if possible for you. A lot of dive shops are sorta funny about filling tanks if you aren't certified to dive. Anyway, if scuba is the only way, the primary reg for scuba sits on the tank & has both hi and low pressure ports; you could likely use the output of one of these ports as the input to a more familiar adjustable reg. Your dive shop could likely tailor the output pressure to your liking. The tank pressure is 3000 psi so I'd stick with the scuba reg on the tank as it's proven, relatively cheap compared to anything else, and fits the sorta funky neck on the usual tank.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
FalloutMan

I work at a scuba shop so I know about regs. The output of a scuba reg is 125-145 psi but can be adjusted down to 5 psi if its a nice reg. I have a Mares Rebel MR12 1st stage that is easy to adjust. Don't be afraid to mess with scuba reg, they are very simple to adjust, especially an unbalanced piston style. I just need to know what type of connections an airbrush uses. I thought I remembered seeing a nipple that fit a compressor QD connector. I have an adapter that takes an lp reg hose and allows copressor stuff to be plugged in.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: alpinestar

scuba regs are typically not adjustable like a regular one would be... for good reason! I dive and fly RC as well & would have to suggest a small compressor instead of a scuba tank if possible for you.
yeah i just ordered a compressor yesterday a little while after i posted this. but i already had a scuba tank bc i use it for filling my paintball air tanks. so far i havent had any problems getting someone to fill it. and i also read people are using a scuba regulator then attaching an airbrush reg. but i think in the end it would be cheaper to just buy a compressor bc all the scuba regs were pretty expensive.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM
FalloutMan

you can find 1st stages for $60 new sometimes. With airbrushing, it doesn't matter the quality of the reg since your life doesn't depend on it. do you have any links for a setup with someone using a scuba reg? Now I just need to get a din fitting for my MR12 so I can use it on my doubles.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 AM
VIPER458

no. i actually havent found anyone that actually lists their setup. this is the main thing that i found

http://www.airbrushtechnique.com/for...uba-tanks.html
Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
FalloutMan

hmm, it says in that post that you need a 1/4" to 3" fitting. I assuming he meant 3/8" fitting. I think im gunna order an adapter and try it out. Can anyone recommend a reg for airbriushing? If I do it, Ill post a how-to guide since this could be way cheaper if you already dive or have scuba tanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: FalloutMan

hmm, it says in that post that you need a 1/4" to 3" fitting. I assuming he meant 3/8" fitting. I think im gunna order an adapter and try it out. Can anyone recommend a reg for airbriushing? If I do it, Ill post a how-to guide since this could be way cheaper if you already dive or have scuba tanks.
yeah. if you find a way to do it cheaper than a compressor im sure alot of people would be intrested.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
FalloutMan

I just need to find a airbrush reg. Which one are you using?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
VIPER458

i havent even gotten an airbrush yet. i just ordered my first one yesterday and it wont be here for a few weeks. and i dont even know what kind of reg getting. i bought a complete set and im not sure if it includes one
Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
FalloutMan

lol, nice planning. Ill search around and find a cheap reg. I found one on Tower for $35 which I may buy. I just need to find a place that sells Iwata airbrushes.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 AM
VIPER458

cool. i know these guys sell iwata.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categorypage.html

ive never ordered from them before tho so i dont know how thier service is
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
regg151

coast airbrush is by far the best place to buy airbrushs and supplies I use them almost exclusivly.
their customer service is top notch as well.