Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

OKAY, total Noob question

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
ferrariowner123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OKAY, total Noob question

Okay, I have alot of noobish painting questions, sorry if your someone like me who hates noobs (except in Halo )

I have some Experience Painting ( if you call it Experience) I have painted two lids for my MGT and they were very easy, just straight black.

My friend and i are going to buy a couple of new lids for our trucks and i want some more experience in painting, and getting a little bit more challenging paint jobs then just one color. And my friend said if i buy the paint, he'll let me paint his bodies. so i dont realy want to mess it up.

I want to paint a body that will be used on a heavly bashed, basher truck, just to give everyone an idea of what the bodies will be subjected to.

To start with, Can you paint the outside of a body?
If you can paint on the outside;
-Does that scratch easly?
-Is there a tough paint that can stand up to hits and survive with normal damage?

Can normal blue painters tape, (like for interior paint) be used as masking?

What is the best way to speed up the drying time? (i've used hairdryers before and they worked pretty well)

I've seen an old article on how you could take magezine cut outs and put them on the inside of you lid, does that work? and how?

I did my other bodies just flowing the Proline guide inculded on the packaging, and i've seen some many of these extremely complex paint jobs and i'm sitting in front of my computer going WOW, scratching my head and wondering how the heck did they do they from the inside the body???

Again, sorry for what i assume are such basic questions.

Any links, tips or helpfull advise of any kind is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ferrari
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: OKAY, total Noob question

ORIGINAL: ferrariowner123

Okay, I have alot of noobish painting questions, sorry if your someone like me who hates noobs (except in Halo )

I have some Experience Painting ( if you call it Experience) I have painted two lids for my MGT and they were very easy, just straight black.

My friend and i are going to buy a couple of new lids for our trucks and i want some more experience in painting, and getting a little bit more challenging paint jobs then just one color. And my friend said if i buy the paint, he'll let me paint his bodies. so i dont realy want to mess it up.

I want to paint a body that will be used on a heavly bashed, basher truck, just to give everyone an idea of what the bodies will be subjected to.

To start with, Can you paint the outside of a body?
If you can paint on the outside;
-Does that scratch easly?
-Is there a tough paint that can stand up to hits and survive with normal damage?

Can normal blue painters tape, (like for interior paint) be used as masking?

What is the best way to speed up the drying time? (i've used hairdryers before and they worked pretty well)

I've seen an old article on how you could take magezine cut outs and put them on the inside of you lid, does that work? and how?

I did my other bodies just flowing the Proline guide inculded on the packaging, and i've seen some many of these extremely complex paint jobs and i'm sitting in front of my computer going WOW, scratching my head and wondering how the heck did they do they from the inside the body???

Again, sorry for what i assume are such basic questions.

Any links, tips or helpfull advise of any kind is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ferrari
You could paint the outside if you want but the paint will flake off under extreme bashing......................

If you prep the inside of the body the paint should last a long time.

Yes, you can use the blue painters tape to mask with.

Using a hair dry will help with drying times, but spraying light coats of paint is better then spraying heavy coats and using a hair dryer to dry it.

They make a glue that you can use to glue the pics to the inside of the body and then paint over it.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
MadManAndrew

Those complicated paint jobs are done with air brushes
Old 10-22-2008, 08:41 PM
ferrariowner123

okay thanks so how do you paint something like this from the inside? i really like the layout, is it simply mask off the role cage section of the body? i think i'm over complicating this whole thing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19304.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1057177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33405.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1057178  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

You can also use liquid mask for masking areas. The green area was probably masked off and the truck painted black and then the green was painted.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Druss

First, you need to find out what is paint and what is decal. Unless the guy is good with an airbrush that claw might be a decal... then again if he's good with an airbrush then it's paint. The straight lines are just taped.

You can find a lot of precut masks online now, just put the mask on, peel away the backing and paint the colors you want. A lot of guys are starting to use vinyl with adhesive, it's like a decal but it's a stretchy vinyl so it will conform to curves.

for your first try i'd suggest sticking to 2-3 colors and simple designs (unless you use a mask). I also suggest you paint onto some scrap lexan to see how the colors will turn out before painting the body.

Light multiple coats, you can use a hairdryer or a hobby heat gun to speed up the drying process.

Once you're done everything I suggest you clear coat the inside to protect the paint from chipping or being rubbed by parts, tires.. etc.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
ferrariowner123

thanks alot guys i think i'm gonna make an order soon
Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Druss

Here are some graphics kits, you can pick and choose what you want to put on and end up with something custom.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_1000_1014

You don't have to pic one that's for your body either.

Here are some precut masks for the inside, these are used with painting as opposed to the decals above.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/1_201_243