Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM
Jackstraw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint

Has anyone had any experience with Pactra Polycarbonate Window Tint (RC294) in the spray can? I've read of problems with using Tints without an airbrush but I'm not sure of the specifics. Thanks ...
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Madd_Maxx

Default Window Tint

Jackstraw:
Do yourself a favor and run don't walk away from that stuff....my very first t-maxx body (back when they came all clear) was all painted and looked sweet that was untill I got out the window tint stuff. It seemed like it tried to soak into or get under my finished main color of my body and turned it pretty dark. It went from a med blue to almost black....even after I shot a final top coat of gloss white on the whole body (except the windows of course) before trying the tint.

Final words on that pactra window tint.....IT'S $5.00 CRAP IN A CAN !!

Madd_Maxx129
Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Jackstraw

Default Window Tint

Thanks Madd_Maxx .... I thought I had read some pretty bad things about that stuff but I can't find it now. Anyone have any other suggestions for Window Tint?
Thanks
Old 06-11-2003, 03:35 PM
jordanrx7

Default Window Tint

I know what you mean Madd_maxx...my buddy was painting up a new 1/10th scale body for his tc3. he spent a good month masking, planning, and painting. Then it came time to put the window tint on and, well the body is dead! It bled through all the paint; turned everything white to a really horrible silver, and even bled through darker blue and orange colors. Needless to say, we were very angry and disappointed. I would give that pactra window tint a big thumbs down!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:35 PM
spadworld

Default Window Tint

Goto a tint shop and get some mild tint Scraps. Get some with the backing still on. Take your window masks off and use them as a template to cut around. Next take some soapy water and spay the areas to be tinted and lay the tint on. With the water on there you'll be able to slide it around to get it straight. Next rub out all the air bubbles. Allow it to sit in a warm area over night preferred. Take some clear paint and paint the edges to SEAL THEM from the elements. Now enjoy your tinted windows.

You can put them on dry but you'l have more MIXED results.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Jackstraw

Default Window Tint

Thanks for the help ... I'll give that a try.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:14 AM
rcharry-RCU

Default Window Tint

or just get a can of black paint and go over slowly and lightly, holding the can far away.