Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

flat black

Old 06-27-2009, 02:09 AM
PhilDz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat black

i'm curious as to what would be a good paint to get that flat black look, the kind that is on the back of a RTR SC10. i'm pretty sure that i would have to apply that paint on the outside of the shell, but if anyone knows i would appreciate any help on this subject. thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM
humanmachinehead

Default RE: flat black

i've never done it, but i don't see why it wouldnt work....

Get some really fine grade sand paper, like 1500-2000 or more. Just sand down the outside till the shine is gone. Take your time and don't baredown hard, let the paper do the work, that way it'll come out even looking. Then spray any black on the inside and it'll look flat and you won't have to worry about chips
Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
kingmaruirc
Banned

You won't get a flat black if your painting lexan bodies. Only if you paint the outside. Why someone would paint the outside is a ??????
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 AM
PhilDz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: humanmachinehead

Get some really fine grade sand paper, like 1500-2000 or more. Just sand down the outside till the shine is gone. Take your time and don't baredown hard, let the paper do the work, that way it'll come out even looking. Then spray any black on the inside and it'll look flat and you won't have to worry about chips

thanks, i think i'll try that on a spare piece of lexan and see how it turns out, i'm trying to get that old school hot rod flat black look
Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 AM
FireFrenzy

I would advise testor's dull coat, perfect for any "matte" applications just spray it on the outside and it should work... Best matte varnish i have worked with in over 12 years of miniature painting...
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 AM
humanmachinehead

ORIGINAL: PhilDz

ORIGINAL: humanmachinehead

thanks, i think i'll try that on a spare piece of lexan and see how it turns out, i'm trying to get that old school hot rod flat black look
i've seen people do this on tail lights and headlights, so the same theory should apply. Be sure and post if it works or not
Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM
FireFrenzy

if required i have a can of the dullcoat and i can try that (i'm waiting for a second 350z to use as a shelf queen...)

EDIT ofcourse i'd use a small scrap somewhere but the theory should be sound...
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
rawvoodoo

Many of my bodies have this done to them. My first rc18t body had the entire hood done. in black from the outside. I use regular matte clearcoat from home depot. I was amazed how well it held up. It never chipped or scratched at all. That clearcoat is pretty tough. I do it on the beds too sometimes. Look around in the "post your works thread Ive got some pics in there, dunno if you can see any of it or not and I dont have a card reader right now so..... there you have it.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
king9

Krylon Satin Black on the outside, looks good but do not bump a curb!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87246.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1234882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32950.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1234883  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
MORNINGSTAR

you want Krylon Fusion flat black, or camo flat black.

Walmart sells it.

and you paint flat black so that your rig dont look all fhagy like a rice rocket

and before my awesome stickers
Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
oneofakindtrini

And Get some red glossy paint and make a PiNSTRiPE Goin down the SiDes and on the HooD. I can photoshop it for you if you'd like.