Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Wrong paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
bigdan29299

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong paint?

Guys i want to paint my first body tomorrow. I have ajconcepts illusion body for the nitro stampede. But I'm not sure if I ordered the right type of paintfor that body. I got some testors blue paint that I'm just going to brush on. Did I get the right paint for this body, and what kind of brush to use, regular small paint brush or a foam type brush? Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

body http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTXU3&P=SM
paint http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAXC6&P=SM
Old 07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wrong paint?

You need paint specifilly made for the lexan (polycarbounate) bodies. Tamiya, Pactra, Faskolor, Spaz Stix are the only companies that make paint for the Lexan bodies. If you use any other paint it will not adhere to the body causing it to flake off the first time you wreck it.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
FireFrenzy

so far i have had good results with just straight tamiya clears and boring old games workshop spray paint (from my miniature wargaming) as for brush type i used a soft haired hair one which worked well but not perfectly smooth (probably due to the clear paints beeing very thick and hard to get smooth under most circumstances....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Druss

Regular plastic paint looks great until you get into a crash and it starts chipping, lexan paint is specifically designed to both bond with lexan and and stretch so that it doesn't chip. As a note, brushes on a lexan body don't look great either, get tamiya PS spray cans.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM
bigdan29299

Thanks for the info guys went for a ride today and got some pastra poly. spray paint.  The wife's lucky I left the check book at home or I would have had a new stampede or maxx today.  Maybe next time.  Thanks again for the help.
Dan
Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Druss

Just remember that prep work is 90% of a good job in painting. Make sure the tape lines have no gaps and that the body is very clean before painting. Use multiple light coats and do dark colors first.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 AM
FireFrenzy

My advice: DO NOT buy those tamaiya clear spray paints! i tried those thinking they'd be like their "brush on" clear spray paints but they arent "colour intense" my which i mean their color is muted and dull and you cant really see the red vs green difference if backed with black.... well i can always strip the paint off and try again...
Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Patton_Motorsports

Faskolor is the best in my experience. Tamiya seems to crack easily the first time it's crashed.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Druss

I've always used Tamiya and never had any problems with it cracking. As long as the body is washed and well dried and you use multiple light coats there are no issues.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 AM
smaxx311

ive used flat paint for all of my cars there paint comes out good. this is just flat black that i got from shermin williams..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93711.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1274243