Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Help with painting, tools, techniques, etc

Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Help with painting, tools, techniques, etc

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
snakemau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with painting, tools, techniques, etc

Hi there,

Well I decided to give it a try and will buy a lexan body for my slash. Now I have no clue what I'm doing so need some advice on which paints to use and where to get them. I have seen some videos from Pro-Line dudes painting their bodies, and well I know you can use cans (and based on that video, I think is an easy but slow process) but also seems some prefer airbrush. What's the difference? more detail? I'm very picky with details so I would like to do a very good job. Any help will be greatly appreciate it!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Custom G-Rafix
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Help with painting, tools, techniques, etc

Well, considering the form your question is in.. I think you better stick to rattle cans. There is a lot more to airbrushing a body than just using an airbrush. There is quite of bit of equipment involved with airbrushing, and being detailed takes a ton of practice.

Roll over to www.cfxpaintworks.com for a little more info on RC painting. [8D]
Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Help with painting, tools, techniques, etc

Yes, painting a lexan body can be a very time consuming process if your going for details, but it doesn't have to be. After washing the lexan body with typical dish washing detergent, I will usually shake out the water and air dry so as not to introduce lint onto your body. You will then want to mask with clean hands. Any oil or grease will create areas that the paint will not stick and ruin your paint job. As far as painting goes, I would avoid an airbrush job until you've actually learned how to use one. Airbrushes can be expensive and and require a lot of skill to use then you have to take inconsideration the air source. If you have a compressor, great, but I'd go for a rattle can paint job as your first one. You can go with the laquer based paints like Pactra or water based from Parma, I have not actually done one of those myself so I will just speak about the Pactra. You always want to spray your darker colors first, this way your lighter colors will spray over the dark allowing you not to have to remask your previously painted area I'll give you an example here. I painted this with rattle cans because its just too much work with my schedule to pull out the airbrush and start mixing paint plus the cleanup time.

I started by masking off my silver stripes as well as the silver areas of the back of the truck, remember I want to paint the dark colors first. After my initial stripes are masked, I mask off the red area leaving what will be black exposed. Next for the black, I spray in even light coats, waiting about 5 min between depending on the temperature. You do not want to get full coverage your first coat, you will run the paint or apply too much. Remember, the thicker the paint, the easier it cracks under the lexan. You do want to spray in room temperature, read your can for details on this. If you spray in the cold, the paint doesn't atomize as well and you get splatters and adhesion can also be compromised.

After the black is applied in about 4 coats, I will look through the body for light spots. You may find a few, and you can apply more to fill them in. You dont want your paint to be too thick so, repeat coats with care. After about 10 minutes, I'll pull off the masking for Red, and spray the red right over the black. The pre applied black will keep the rad from showing through. Apply coats as necessary for your second coat. After the red was dry, I pulled off the masking for the silver and completed those coats right over the red. Took a few hours to mask and paint. You don't need an airbrush to get a nicely painted body. Airbrushing is an art completely in of itself. You can destroy a job with an improperly applied airbrush technique as easily as a rattle can job. I've dont air brushing jobs before and they allow a little more detail but lets face it, these bodys are going to get destroyed. Wait till you learn the basics of just spraying a body with paint cans and then look into learning how to airbrush on paper before you apply it to lexan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37598.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	1374060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55391.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	1374061