Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Does Liquid Mask Dry Somewhat Clear?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Liquid Mask Dry Somewhat Clear?

I am about to do a camo paint job on a body and first time to use liquid mask.

Basically I've read around and think I know how to approach it.

So far I've only drawn the camo design on the outside of the body after cutting it. After I coat the entire body with liquid mask 2-3 coats I realized that I won't be able to see the pattern I traced on the outside. Unless liquid mask dries somewhat clear so I can see my pattern from the inside to draw where I should use my exacto knife.

So does liquid mask dry clear?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Does Liquid Mask Dry Somewhat Clear?

It will dry some what clear depending on how thick the coats are.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
alexchen86

Okay cool I will probably do 3 coats to be safe. If I can't see out from the inside to figure out where I need to cut the liquid mask I'll try holding up the body to a light.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Casper06

Hey alex I use liquid mask all the time and it will dry opaque. If you are going to be doing something as complex as camo draw out your design with a Sharpie on the outside of the protective film and it will help guide you along when you cut from underneath. Also if you make a mistake in the line's your drawing just use some rubbing alcohol and you can wipe it away easily. Apply at least three coats of liquid mask I am not sure which brand you are using but I use Bob Dively's brand and I use three for that. If you are using Parma's brand then you should do four I hear it is thinner than Bob's. Also when you cut use a fresh blade and do not press so hard down where you start to cut into the body if you make lines all over the body on your first few crashes the lexan will crack at those spots. Trust me I know from experience and it sucks [:'(] One last thing that helps with pulling the mask off easily is if you apply coats in a cross pattern layer. i.e. lay the first coat down going side to side then the second coat up and down and so on. If you need anything else just shoot me a PM. Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to own Fliteglas Models. We were the first to introduce Liquid Masking Film to the modeling industry back in the 70's. In fact, I named the product Liquid Masking Film and called it LMF. We later sold Fliteglas Models to Bob Dively.

I always sprayed the LMF on in one very heavy coat. You can not get it to thick unless you get it thick enough to make it difficult to cut easily. If it is the correct thickness the weight of the #11 blade and handle is enough pressure to cut through the LMF. If you do it correctly it does not even scratch the painted or plastic surface underneath.

The most important thing is to not get it on too thin. It is near impossible to remove LMF that is too thin.

Also, I always draw any lines I plan to cut with a ballpoint pen on the LMF after it dries.

Good luck with your masking,
Ralph White,
Neoga, IL
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Casper06

Thanks for sharing that Ralph I love finding out tidbit's of information like that. [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif]
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
alexchen86

Thanks for that input Ralph! I just started another thread on my camo paint job which I will keep everyone updated on. I included mock up pics.