Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

I HATE TEXAS MOSQUITOS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
alexchen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HATE TEXAS MOSQUITOS!

So I'm off painting another 07 Subaru WRC body as a back up for my Tamiya DF-03Ra but this time I want a street car look not a WRC.

So another STIcolor Ireally like is the pearl on gold rims. So I'm off shooting away with Pactra (which I hate) but that's all my LHS had in metallic Pearl. The guy even said back it in black (REALLY?!)

I know the Pactra pearl barely shows up so Ihad to use 2 cans. And also it is EXTREMELYwatery. There were a good 2-3 blobs of paint drip since you can't see how much you're shooting. Then an f'in big mosquito got stuck on the wet paint!

This was in my garage too! Anyways I plucked him out but it left a smear the size of a thumb print. Thank God Ihad enough backing white left over to cover up the blemish.

Long story shot...pearl metallic should be backed in WHITE not BLACk....don't know what that guy was thinking...also don't worry if you screw your paintjob with enough backing it's barely noticeable. Great save!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
RcRacer37E

Default RE: I HATE TEXAS MOSQUITOS!

Try backing pearls with silver. Also, small blemishes can be covered up well with a sticker
Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 AM
jaken0313

the silver will give more depth to the pearl. dont know why the guy suggested black
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Casper06

Pearls are to be backed in silver as stated but I don't like silver cockpits so after the silver I back in black. Just a personal preference I guess.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
CNetherny

Yeah the big-daddy mosquitos have been out around here lately... and the humidity is nuts. Ipainted a guitar one time, brought it in my bedroom, hung up newspaper, used a fan, right next to a window to vent while spraying. In the air-conditioning, the humidity was much less. Ithink it cuts down on the runs and drips with lower humidity.
Sounds like it's gonna be awesome.G/L with yourcar

BTW, what hobby shop do you go to, and do they have a lot of Tamiya parts? I'm over in Beaumont, but Iwouldn't mind a little ride to get to a Tamiya-friendly shop!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Carpilot

What's real bad is when they swarm. You just know they are discussing the option to dine on you there or carry you home and eat in.