Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

What to use to make mold?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to make mold?

I have a brand new body shell which i was going to cut out, paint up and use on my savage,

the only trouble is that the bodyshell is wafer thin, like less than 1mm thick and has now been discontinued,

i want to take a mould from this bodyshell and use it for vacuum forming a much stronger 2mm or 3mm body,

but i was afraid if i use the wrong stuff it will damage the original bodyshell,

i dont want to mass produce this bodyshell or anything like that i just want to take a mold from it,

which will last long enough until i experiment some with a home made vacuum former,

anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM
AlienModified
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What to use to make mold?

Go to you local automotive store, get a fiberglass repair kit. It should come with fiberglass resin, hardener, and fiberglass cloth. Cover the body you have with saran wrap, stretched tight to avoid wrinkles, mix you resin kit. Lay the fiberglass cloth down and paint the resin on with a 2" paintbrush. You can make a mold, and have a strong enough mold to make more than one body.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:41 AM
sparky 25

Isn`t there an easier way,

i was hoping to pour some type of plaster into the body as this will show up all the detail in the bodyshell,

only thing is that the types of plaster im aware of heat up while curing and this could damage the lexan shell,

maybe i should give the fibreglass a go first, thanks for the help[8D]
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

I`ll have to find the name of the place but we use a 2 part rubber to make molds for r/c car stuff and tires .
Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 PM
sparky 25

Looking forward to knowing what this product is.[8D]
Old 05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Here you go,

2 different products you can use

http://plaster.com/HYDROCAL.html

or

http://www.waterputty.com

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 AM
Hydroxine

If you're going to be making a mould from plaster and vacuum forming it, the plaster needs to be heat proof. Secondly, The detailing like ridges and shut lines is on the outside of the shell so when you make your mould, you will lose these little details.

When it comes to actually moulding the plastic. You can get polycarbonate sheets from ebay at a relatively reasonable price. You may also want to invest in getting a heat gun for stripping paint aswell. This will help in moulding the plastic into corners and seams.

Home made vac formers are awsome! Good luck with your project.