RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   HELP!!! CARBON FIBER TIPS NEEDED (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/1469771-help-carbon-fiber-tips-needed.html)

rcKlan 01-26-2004 06:46 PM

HELP!!! CARBON FIBER TIPS NEEDED

Hey I need some tips on how to paint carbon fiber on bodies,I seen some pics of bodies that have carbron fiber on them please help me out here!!!

HPIchuk 01-26-2004 06:57 PM

RE: HELP!!! CARBON FIBER TIPS NEEDED

if you want that real look then youll have to find some real ones. Im sure you can find decals. but to paint it you can try overlapping grey black and white diagonal checkered pattern(diagonal meaning overlapping rhombus's)

raceme 01-26-2004 08:34 PM

some people have tried sqared mesh. the little wholes would be painted black and then after paint the rest silver. doesnt look like the real thing but its the closest you can get with painting other than using decals

rcKlan 01-28-2004 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I want to it to look like this,what stincils or masking do they use??

HPIchuk 01-28-2004 03:55 PM

that looks about what raceme said but thicker mesh and diagonal pattern...and reverse the colors but use gray instead of silver

rcKlan 01-28-2004 06:16 PM

where can I find that mesh?link?

HPIchuk 01-28-2004 06:56 PM

look wherever there are window screens sold. im pretty sure they have different sized meshes available. if not then just look for vinyl mesh. or you can get 1/16 or 1/32 painters tape and tape off the area(it doesnt take that long-just make sure the tape is in equal increments) paint it as i said before

rcKlan 01-28-2004 08:21 PM

thanks man

raceme 01-28-2004 08:29 PM

you wouldnt want a thicker mesh because if youlook at the real cf pattern. the gray squares are almost touching.

madcratebuilder 01-29-2004 01:06 AM

Use open weave tool drawer liner, silver then black, looks great.

HPIchuk 01-29-2004 03:41 PM

he wants it to look like the truck picture... looks like mesh to me

raceme 01-29-2004 07:37 PM

oh yea you would want a thicker mesh...mybad

rcKlan 01-29-2004 08:56 PM

any links in the"mesh"?

madcratebuilder 01-29-2004 11:17 PM

The picture was done with drawer liner, same results I have gotten.

rcKlan 01-30-2004 06:56 AM

790racer where can i get a drawr liner

TikiKustoms 01-30-2004 10:23 AM

any tool supply place like sears or home depot.
drew :D

rcKlan 01-30-2004 02:28 PM

thanks man!!

madcratebuilder 01-30-2004 11:54 PM

The mat needs to be flat against the surface your painting, tape the edges if needed, and shoot your paint at a 90 degree angle to the mat. Most auto parts outlets or Sears should have the mat. You can get some cool results using other types of material with a open weave pattern. Lace paint jobs used to be the rage back in the late sixties early seventies

rcKlan 02-01-2004 01:38 PM

yea thanks I went to Home Depot last night and got the Drawer liner,Its looking great

Chrisblkz 02-02-2004 10:22 PM

ok I am doing the same thing but I have noticed that it wont spay down completely. I was going to use a thin spray adhesive to keep it down. this stuff drys clear. Would it be ok if i used it or will it not come off the body.

RaZ_Tx 02-09-2004 10:37 AM

Hey chris i dont think the glue will come off the cat and would make the paint look like crap i am gonna experiment with a body o got from eron and see what i can do

nitro_D 02-10-2004 06:45 AM

on this site or another there was a excellent tutorial buy a well known member although i forgot who it was (dummy) [&:] he used drawer liner, he painted a mazda 6, its looks exactly like the proline one on the website. if you find it it is awesome

PitStops 02-10-2004 05:50 PM

ok one suggestion, do not use silver and black. For a more realistic look use pearl charcoal and pearl black. you can buy the same drawerliner as shelfliner at Wal-Mart for less money.

Bryan

RaZ_Tx 02-10-2004 06:06 PM

i have been looking for it at walmart and havent found one that looked decent spacing they had one but it looked like crap not uniformly spaced squares/rectangles and i was thinking pearl charcoal and faschange purple for my cf look hopefully will turn out well its way to wet to paint here right now and will be for the next week or so so i wont get to see how it turns out till then

Ben the Burninator 02-15-2004 09:01 PM

Thats a sweet technique with the drawer liner, I'll have to try it.
If you've ever seen carbon fiber up close, it sort of moves as you move your head, which is something that you will never acheive with paint. Why not just buy some carbon fiber cloth and epoxy it to your body? It's not as expensive as you might think.
Ben