RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   Painting wheels? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/2673610-painting-wheels.html)

Snipcod 02-18-2005 05:03 PM

Painting wheels?

Is there any ting I need to do to paint the wheels? I want to paint the spokes black and leave the outside part of the wheels chrome. Can I use the paint that you use to paint the body or some thing diff.

http://prolineracing.com/proline/whe...77/2674-41.jpg

69 GTO 02-18-2005 05:29 PM

RE: Painting wheels?

Useing dye is the best way to change the color of wheels because paint will scuff off somewhat quickly. if you still want to paint them then use a normal spray paint from the hardware store and put a coat of clear over it to help protect it a bit longer.

Snipcod 02-18-2005 05:48 PM

How would I dye it? Would it also be a deep dark balck. Or just a little black that still looks like chrome.

69 GTO 02-18-2005 05:56 PM

If you want it to last a long time then strip the chrome off and get some RIT dye. put the dye in a pan on top the stove and heat it up a bit then put the wheels in the pan for a few minutes and they will be done. the longer you leave the wheels in the dye the darker the color they will be. You can dye over the chrome and it will have a nice metalic effect to them but it wont last quite as long.

Snipcod 02-18-2005 06:02 PM

Whats a good way of getting the chrome off?

69 GTO 02-18-2005 06:06 PM

The couple times i've done it i sanded it off.

Dare82 02-18-2005 06:53 PM

but he says he wants the outside part to be chrome! If you still want it to be chrome, you should just paint it, make sure to use primer, main coat, and at least two to three coats of clear coat to make sure they last long! If not, it will flake off after the blink of your eye!

ralf-ss 03-26-2005 03:02 AM

there is a very easy way to remove chrome, oven cleaner (easy off) is perfect for this just let it soak awile and watch the chrome wash away(you may need to use a tooth brush for tight spaces)
i have used this trick many times on 1/24 scale model cars and the chrome washes away in minutes but it may take longer because im sure this is a higher quality chrome plating but it should still work
when you use die on wheels does it turn out gloss or flat black?

Dare82 03-26-2005 04:16 PM

It will be glossy black if the chrome is still under the dye.

BOWTIE1 03-26-2005 05:35 PM

the chrome is going to flake off

thumpin347 03-27-2005 12:27 AM

mask off the lip of the wheel, or whatever you want with chrome, and make sure to trim the mask so you get a good looking product.

take some 800 grit sandpaper. nothing any more coarse than that because you are sanding on plastic, and you dont want to have gouge marks in the plastic. lightly smooth the chrome off of the plastic. once you get the the plastic, get a finer grit...1200-1500 grit, and sand it until you have all the chrome off.

then you have 2 ways of doing it from here. if you want a durable finish, dye it.

if you want a shiny finish, get a light coat of primer on the wheel. make sure it is light, because you dont want the primer dripping into spots of the wheel. once its dry, you can spray the black onto the rim, and you can clear it afterwards to protect the black base...it'll also make the rim a little more shiny.

finally, take off the mask, and post pics

Dare82 03-27-2005 01:30 AM

I have found something called vinyl dye. This comes in spray cans and acts like a spray paint, but gets absorbed into the material that the dye hits. I use this product in some of my computer mods when painting cases, and it is REALLY durable! But the fumes are...[sm=bananahead.gif]

youie 03-27-2005 08:05 AM

Just a suggestion, I once tried STEEL WOOL, the stuff used by PLUMBERS and it makes light work of removing chrome.

Stalefish 03-28-2005 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Dare82

I have found something called vinyl dye. This comes in spray cans and acts like a spray paint, but gets absorbed into the material that the dye hits. I use this product in some of my computer mods when painting cases, and it is REALLY durable! But the fumes are...[sm=bananahead.gif]

Where do you get it Dare??

Dare82 03-30-2005 09:58 PM

You can get it at Auto Stores. I forgot the brand, but it has a huge "Vinyl Dye" on it. It's easy to find, usually near the paint section.

toyota1991 03-30-2005 10:50 PM

duplicolor vinle and fabric paint from autozone. there is also a paint for plastic called fusion but it does not dye it , just good for plastic