RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   Best Mask? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/3270456-best-mask.html)

Crazy Canuck 08-16-2005 11:28 PM

Best Mask?

Hey all,

Just wondering what was the best thing to use as a mask? I know there is liquid mask but I was looking for some kind of "sticker" like sheet I could cut designs into and place on the body without it being a pain in the ***** to get off. What do you guys suggest? Or would you say to just learn how to use the liquid mask? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers[8D]

big.mike 08-17-2005 12:09 AM

RE: Best Mask?

It depends what you are looking to do...There are several different masks available on ebay and also tons of people (like myself) who have vinyl plotters and can make nearly anything you can come up with :D Liquid masks are great but can sometimes create even more work, especially if is covered in multi layers of paint.

What type of graphics did you have in mind?

Bigmike

Crazy Canuck 08-17-2005 08:12 AM

Hey, nothing specific right now. I just liked the idea of having a blank template to work on should an idea come to mind. I didn't realize that you could use vinyl as a mask, one of my friends has a plotter so maybe I'll hit him up for it's use for an afternoon. I still do like the idea though, of having a sheet of "sticker" like paper that I can trace onto. I guess if I had to choose a pattern it would be like dripping paint, flames or maybe lightning, and only laying down like two or three colours.

Cheers:D

big.mike 08-17-2005 01:57 PM

Well the stuff I use for masks is MacTac, MaCal 8900 Pro. It is not actually a "Masking" vinyl but it works much better....It is super easy to remove as it is a low tack vinyl. Let me know how much you need and I can sell you some cheep if you like, I don't generally do it that way, but I will. Send me your email address if interested.

If using masking film, the best one I have used thus far is the Bob Dively Liquid Masking Film. I have had issues with some of the others as far as it sticking too well or breaking apart easily when removing, both of which will make more work than they are worth. They work SO much better if you thin them just a tad with water and spray it out with a touch up gun, you get a good even thickness to work with, put on a couple of good coats.

Bigmike

Crazy Canuck 08-18-2005 11:22 PM

Cheers for the offer of some of that Mactac, it's funny the way things work. My buddy has a plotter and just got into cutting vinyl for cars and signs and he picked up a ton of the MaCal 8900 pro. So he shot a little my way and I gotta say this stuff is great, almost hassle free! So thanks again for the offer, if I deplete his stash I may come knockin! LOL

Cheers:D

rwitt 09-08-2005 05:55 PM

What do you guys use for cutting the vinyl and I assume you do the layout and stuff using Photoshop or some other graphics program. Explain how the vinyl cutter works. I am thinking about getting into detailing bodies and was curious. Where are common places to pick up the Mactel vinyl at? What are the price ranges for the machines that cut them then? Any info would be great thanks?

psymun30 09-13-2005 07:16 PM

IM NEW TO PAINTING MY RC BODIES AND I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN BUYING SOME OF THAT VINYL FROM YOU EMAIL ME [email protected] SO WE CAN SET UP SOMETHING THANKS