RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   Should I paint my front shock tower - pictures inside ***56k warning* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/4402170-should-i-paint-my-front-shock-tower-pictures-inside-%2A%2A%2A56k-warning%2A.html)

evomac 06-17-2006 11:34 PM

Should I paint my front shock tower - pictures inside ***56k warning*

As the subject says, do you think I should paint the front shock tower?

The project that I have been working on is take a very raced Kyosho Kanai 2 that was semi-rolling along with a Kyosho Inferno 7.5 as a parts buggy. I have probably probably 20+ hours in stripping the buggy, cleaning it, and rebuilding it. There are a ton of upgrades on the chassis that I got, including the frame, arm connecting rods, arm connectors, etc...

Well the frame was pretty scratched up on the bottom and the top showed a decent amount of wear so I cleaned, sanded, primed, painted, and cleared the top and bottom of the frame. The rear shock tower was also pretty scratched up so I did the same to that. The front tower wasn't nearly as bad so I left it as is. I kind of like the opposite colors (green and silver) to go along with the blue on the internal parts. I'd like to know your opinions of how it looks. Be honest!

Also don't pay attention to the fuel tank, when I order all the remaing parts (engine, exaust, flywheel, tubing, etc...) I am going to be ordering a new fuel tank. I just wanted to put the old one in there to get an idea for fitment and mounting.

Regards in advance,

-Evo-

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, disregard the rear shocks. I am also ordering a new set of rear Kanai 2 shocks to match the type of the front. I just put the ones from my Inferno on there for now for "mock-up" testing.

http://wowgoodness.com/media/pictures/rc/chassistop.JPG
http://wowgoodness.com/media/picture...assisfront.JPG

em x 6 racer 06-18-2006 03:11 AM

RE: Should I paint my front shock tower - pictures inside ***56k warning*

Looks great awesome job.

CapUSA 06-22-2006 08:33 PM

Nice, and I think you should paint it.

evomac 06-23-2006 12:01 AM

Thanks for the replies and comments. I already took it apart. I am going to paint the front tower on Saturday and Sunday. I'll post some pictures of it once completed.

Regards,

-Evo-

kuhndog599 06-23-2006 09:08 AM

i put krylong clearcoat over my paint after i painted it but its still coming off. what else can i try.

evomac 06-23-2006 12:52 PM

I have about 12 coats of clear on the frame. I then let it sit to cure for about 72 hours. From doing that it has a nice solid layer over it.

dustin7837 06-23-2006 08:04 PM

does it scratch easily?

I know that when I paint steel parts on full size cars, I always get best results if I sand it a little rough and then spray it with a self etching primer before I paint. It really helps reduce chipping and scratching.

evomac 06-24-2006 01:26 AM

I haven't don't have the motor or electronics in the car quite yet so I have not run it yet, therefore I can't say if it will scratch or not. However I took as many steps possible to make the paint as tough as possible.

First thing I did was take a stainless steel paint removing brush and cleaned it all off. I then took some medium grit sandpaper to scuff it up a tad. Then I did about 4 or 5 light coats of primer. I let that sit and dry for a couple of hours. I then did about 8 coats of paint on the frame (very light coats). I let that dry overnight to cure in there. Then the clear went on, about 10 - 12 coats of clearcoat 10 - 15 minutes apart. I let that dry and cure for 3 full days in the air.

After doing all of that the clear coating is pretty hard. When I was test fitting the pieces for the picture above, I actually had to get a very small flathead screwdriver to scratch out the paint around the tapped holes. For the most part if I screwed in a screw it would go right on top of the clear and not really scratch it up under that kind of pressue.

Therefore I am hoping that scraping against dirt won't hurt the underside too much. If it does, I already contacted a local powdercoater to do the towers and frame. This was more of a test to see if it would work . We shall see what comes of it.

To the poster above that said that it keeps scratching up, the only thing that I can recomend to you is strip it off completely and start from scratch. From there do something similar to what I did. Don't go into the project thinking that you will have it finished in a hour. The frame took me a total of 5 days to complete. It actually worked out well, during the time that I was waiting in between coats I got a ton of work done on the buggy.

So just pace yourself and have fun with it.

Hope that helped a bit.

Regards,
-Evo-