RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   good begginer airbrush (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/5851323-good-begginer-airbrush.html)

The_Lost_Otter 05-13-2007 11:29 PM

good begginer airbrush

I was wondering what a good air brush would be. I think i came up with a cool idea to paint the body, but if you have an idea please
describe or even a drawing would be nice.

thx.

cublover 05-14-2007 12:04 AM

RE: good begginer airbrush

1 Attachment(s)
mx,,,,do yourself a favor and get a double action,,there the only way to go....single action or cheap "brushes are junk...i spent the money and got a "snap-on"..the best brush,,,right beside binks

The_Lost_Otter 05-14-2007 12:14 AM

Thanks, can you give me a link to the air brush and compreser you use? BTW nice heli

dustin7837 05-14-2007 12:35 AM

snap on makes airbrushes!!!! I've got a toolbox of snap on tools, but not once have I ever seen an airbrush in their catalogue... guess i just wasnt looking.

Anyway.... as above DEFINATELY get a dual action brush, you'll kick yourself if you dont. I really like the Iwata line of airbrushes. Just my opinion. I tried one of those cheap badger starters for a backup. It really sucked compared to the iwata. It splattered and was not as consistant.

The money I "saved" on the badger ended up being respent on a decent brush anyway.

hey, Cublover!

Never thought of doing golf clubs :) What kind of paint did you use?

Also what method do you use for flames? They are awesome

The_Lost_Otter 05-14-2007 12:45 AM

Is the badger 155-1 anthem airbrush set any good it deul action?

cublover 05-14-2007 08:47 AM

hey thanks....i use "house of kolor" paints,,,spendy,,but worth it...yes the# on the snap-on brush is,,BF175TA..I've had it for about 7 years,,,i dont know if they make it anymore,,,but its a great brush..fine line as well as full spray in the set...glad you like it,,,just dont know where to post an ad on here for painting service's..lol...

The_Lost_Otter 05-14-2007 06:02 PM

Can you give me a link to that air brush?

cublover 05-14-2007 09:08 PM

no i sure cant,,,i gave the part # i dont know where to get it,,,might want to go to snap-on.com...might have it there...good luck...Rod

Nick2618 05-14-2007 10:49 PM

lmao flaming mailbox and golf club...

cublover 05-15-2007 12:34 AM

yeah,,golf club was for my roomie,,,,and the mail box,,,i've painted 17 of them in all differant colors,,and sold for 70$ a piece..hot item I guess...

doug148877 05-16-2007 06:26 PM

I agree with the earlier post - the cheap brushes are junk. They won't work correctly and you'll end up having to buy a better one anyways. Most of the pro painters use Iwata airbrushes.....I've had several. They're the best in the biz. Any of the HP or micron line is fine for RC. I'm currently using a HP-C for my car bodies.

gosk8ing 05-19-2007 09:31 PM

Hey

I too am looking for an airbrush for spray RC planes. Are there any other good brands out there?? Whats the difference between single action and double action???
Also, what about gravity feed or pressue feed???
Cheers

cublover 05-20-2007 02:28 AM

snap-on,,binks or something like that,,,around 300$ american...double action is where you push in the trigger and the amount of paint that comes out depends on the amount you slid the trigger back,,,single action is where you dont have any control of the amount of paint that comes out,,,"no fine lines"

Gandalf_Sr 05-21-2007 12:28 PM

I already have an 80 cfm air compressor but it uses oil; is this unusable? I wondered if there is some kind of filter that I can use to make it safe for use with an air brush?

cublover 05-23-2007 06:07 PM

uses oil?..by that do you mean your adding oil all the time??. If thats the case,,you need to get another compresser period. If your getting oil in the air line then there is no way id use it for paint,,might be ok for pumping up a tire though..mine is a little colman i got from kragen or autozone,,one of those places...it works great,,,89$..

Rs43EVOman 05-23-2007 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Gandalf_Sr

I already have an 80 cfm air compressor but it uses oil; is this unusable? I wondered if there is some kind of filter that I can use to make it safe for use with an air brush?
Oil based compressors are perfectly fine for airbrush, but you need to get something called a moisture trap, you would need t get one for a oil-free compressor anyways to keep the coondensed moisture out. ive found one of the best to be the [link=http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=418]Campbell Hausfeld General Purpose Filter[/link].
It attaches right at the outlet of your compressor, after all the regulators.

And for all you guys asking about your first airbrush. ive got a couple of peices of advice.
#1. if you really wanna get information on Airbrushing Tips, how to thin, and all that stuff. head over to [link=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/index.php]CFX Paintworks[/link] theyve got awesome forums dedicated entriely to painting. and some of the best Painters out there are on the site. Also i seriosuly reccoemnd you read the lesson's in the "Project CFX" thread. It has a full set of lessons teaching you preatty much everything you need to know to get started from how your airbrush works. to thinning paint. to a bunch of great excercises that will teach you how to control your airbrush before you go ruin a $30 body. Follow them in order, and by the end you wil be a better painter then alot of other guys out there.
#2. Dont waste your money on a cheap brush. Youw ill soon learn that it doesnt costs much more to get a great quality brush. I would undoutbley say thet best brush for a begginer is the Iwata HP-C revolution (somtimes called HP-CR). It's extremly relieble. easy to maintain, and when you getbetter all it takes is a tip change, and youll havbe a brush just as good as those the pro's use. I know alot of guys who have multiple HP-C Revolutions with different sized tips becuase they are just so relaible.
#3. Take your time, and when ever you have questions ask. It's much better to ask a question then to think ou know hwat your talking about, and make time consuming, or most often money costing mistakes. dont let that scare you out of getting an airbrush. If you take a bit of time, and espeically follow the 1st advice youll be a great painter in no time.