RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   what airbrush to get? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/842222-what-airbrush-get.html)

niceCPS 06-07-2003 10:57 PM

what airbrush to get?

which airbrush should?

TikiKustoms 06-08-2003 03:11 PM

what airbrush to get?

i have the iwata eclipse cs and i love it. its a gravity feed airbrush and it works great. i would recommend getting the cs or another eclipse model. they are not to expensive but very good quality. :D

BuzzBomber 06-09-2003 02:09 PM

what airbrush to get?

From what little experience I have with airbrushing a project here and there over the years, I'd have to say that tiki's advice above is sound. That being said, I used to have a badger 150 and now have a 155 and quite liked both of them--relatively inexpensive, sprays accurately and cleanly enough that my lack of skill is the limiting factor, not the equipment :D , and parts are cheap and available if you wear out or break something. If upfront $$ is an issue, the badgers can usually be had cheaper, but I have no experience with the iwata line, so I won't try to tell you which is a better value. Just my 2 cents.

P-51B 06-09-2003 02:17 PM

what airbrush to get?

I have a Testors, now known as Aztek. I would highly recommend it. Double action, nozzles are easy to change and clean. Relativiley inexpensive (it comes in several styles now, I have a basic version).

Paasche is very popular, as is the badger. But for the ease of cleanup, features, and cost, I went with the Aztek (Testors).

wildtxn 06-09-2003 02:26 PM

what airbrush to get?

If you want the best possible quality for the lowest possible price for a beginner check out the new IWATA Revolution series. either gravity feed or bottom cup feed, both double action and awesome quality for the price. can get them between 50-60 bucks.

1stPlaceRace 06-10-2003 05:41 AM

what airbrush to get?

I use Iwata hp-c, and Iwata eclipse-cs....If there is an airbrush as good as Iwata it is a copy..... parma and tamiya have nice Iwata clones..

"Just Canopies" 06-11-2003 10:52 AM

what airbrush to get?

The Olympos brand of airbrushes are better! They where out before Iwata, so that means Iwata copied Olympos.... In fact both are made in the same place just like Richpen and Rich airbrushes.

02WRX 06-12-2003 08:46 PM

what airbrush to get?

what about air compressors? what's the price range on one that would be good enough for the brushes listed above?

jeeptuff 06-13-2003 08:12 AM

what airbrush to get?

Originally posted by 02WRX
what about air compressors? what's the price range on one that would be good enough for the brushes listed above?
Compressors I would still say Iwata. I also use the Eclipse CS and the Revolution series. Nothing but the best. ;)

02WRX 06-13-2003 09:01 PM

what airbrush to get?

what's a good site to buy the iwata stuff so I can check prices?

1stPlaceRace 06-13-2003 10:07 PM

what airbrush to get?

Dixie art supply..I dont know the URL off hand, They ship free and have great prices. Do a google search and you will find it.

TikiKustoms 06-14-2003 06:09 AM

what airbrush to get?

i second dixie art. i bought my iwata airbrush through them and it shipped nice and quick with no problems. www.dixieart.com good luck and happy painting!! :)

02WRX 06-14-2003 07:20 AM

what airbrush to get?

good site, thanks (translation: thanks for making me spend more money)

jeeptuff 06-14-2003 07:44 AM

what airbrush to get?

Originally posted by 02WRX
good site, thanks (translation: thanks for making me spend more money)
LOL welcole to the great world of airbrushing. You might have spent a chunk of change but if you bought Iwata products you will not have to upgrade for years to come. Good luck.

02WRX 06-19-2003 11:27 PM

what airbrush to get?

Would the iwata hp-c airbrush and the sprint jet compressor be good enough for doing lexan bodies? Would the eclipse cs be a cheaper but good alternative? Are the gravity feed brushes necessarily "better"? If you can suggest a better setup that is cheaper or around $300, please do. I will most likely order from dixieart.com.

"Just Canopies" 06-19-2003 11:35 PM

what airbrush to get?

The HP-C is good for detail and thats it. You should get an Eclipse HP-BCS! It gives you better coverage, meaning a wider spray pattern the the HP-C...

jtrnp2001 06-20-2003 12:03 AM

what airbrush to get?

I personally use a regular air-compressor with a tank. I have found many, many more uses for it than with an airbrush comressor. You can find a small one for about the same price too.

- Travis

RS4RACER 06-24-2003 12:36 AM

what airbrush to get?

I've heard the aztek brand brushes are best but have never used them....

02WRX 07-08-2003 07:21 AM

what airbrush to get?

I ordered the Iwata HP-BCS brush and Sprint Jet Compressor from dixieart. I got the hose and I have plenty of paint. What other supplies will I need for maintainance and painting? Any brand suggestions are a help too. Thanks!

02WRX 07-15-2003 02:46 PM

what airbrush to get?

psssst no one answered me......hehe

BuzzBomber 07-15-2003 03:25 PM

what airbrush to get?

When painting with waterbase paints, I use windshield washer fluid to thin the paint and to flush out the airbrush. Some use rubbing alcohol or floetrol (a commercial additive for spraying). Both are very handy, but for cleaners, etc, just make sure you have something appropriate to the paint, and that it won't attack any of the airbrush parts.