RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/)
-   -   Help me with my painted wheels (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-painting-detailing-bodies-195/882638-help-me-my-painted-wheels.html)

Me+RC=$$$ 06-20-2003 10:39 PM

Help me with my painted wheels

1 Attachment(s)
Well, a buddy of mine gave me a pair of used wheels and tires he had and didn't want, and me being a pack rat was more than willing to take them of his hands. I tore the tires off, and was going to dye them black, well, little problem. He had painted the spokes white and left the outer rim chrome to match his real cars rims. They are HPI's split 10's or something, so they have 10 spokes split in half. I spent about an hour on one rim trying to get the paint and chrome off by rubbing a q-tip dipped in nail polish remover on it. It worked, but there is still a lot of chrome and paint left in tight spots i can't get to, and I don't want to spend 5 hours trying to get these ready to dye. I also soaked them in paint thinner overnight, and that did nothing but make them smell. Is there anything that I could let these soak in over night that would get the stupid chrome and paint off?

jtrnp2001 06-21-2003 12:46 AM

When I'm anodizing paintball gun parts, to remove the stuff that was already on there, I soak them in lye. Sometimes, I also use muriatic acid. (I think I spelled that right). It might melt plastic. I don't know. - Travis

Me+RC=$$$ 06-22-2003 02:53 AM

Thanks, anything is worth a try...I guess. I'll try that tonight. Anybody else have an idea before I possibly ruin them? :rolleyes:

modelboater 06-27-2003 05:56 AM

Brake fluid

Dstruked 06-27-2003 02:09 PM

NAIL POLISH REMOVER

YOU SAID THAT THE NAIL POLISH REMOVER WORKED, WHY NOT SOAK IN THAT?

spadworld 06-27-2003 04:06 PM

One word ACETONE! This is why the nail polish remover works so good cause it contains acetone! Goto the hard ware store and pick some up. Stuff works good at cleanning the car off too except for the body. Just pour it in a bowl or other container and drop the wheels in. It will slowly disolve the paint right off of the wheels. Let it sit over night and just top it off in the morning cause it evaporates.

Me+RC=$$$ 06-28-2003 05:15 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I started a little project with them, it's somewhere to to many pages back. I'll soak them in acetone when i get them done.

otterball21 07-05-2003 03:11 AM

it sorta works.. give it a try.. someone gave me rims painted white.. blargh... and I used acetone.. got all the dirt off.. :D and the white paint did somewhat come off..