Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Storing fuselage on the spinner

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Storing fuselage on the spinner

All:
This may have been answered before but many of us do this due to space limitations. Is there any negative effect on the engine (4 stroke) by storing the fuselage vertically resting on the spinner? Could it for example damage the bearings? Or is it harmless? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Storing fuselage on the spinner

I don't know about bearings, probably not, but you need to consider 2 other things - storing a plane nose down - fuel can run into theengine and cardthe methanol slowly evaporates, leaving gunk oil behind.

But probably more important is that the silicone tubing and clunk weight in the tank is then folded back on itself (U shape) and could get a "pinch fold" or get stuck in that position, leading to engine cut outs when climbing. For that reason I store all my fuselages nose up against the wall. Just plug the exhaust with papertowel .

Bundu
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive stored my planes nose down for the best part of 10 years.

Very rarely will a clunk fall forwards. It can happen but a swift shake of the fuse with the nose up, , will ensure the clunk is back where it should be.

Just a caveat though, I fly with 2 stroke motors and rarely will the engines receive a storage period of more than 4 weeks.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM
guille2006

ORIGINAL: Freddy

All:
This may have been answered before but many of us do this due to space limitations. Is there any negative effect on the engine (4 stroke) by storing the fuselage vertically resting on the spinner? Could it for example damage the bearings? Or is it harmless? Thanks!

Not a good idea... the plane could get used to see the ground in front of him... and this is not nice while flying... HAHAHA
Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Rendegade

Planes that are scared of downlines don't make good pattern planes!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

But probably more important is that the silicone tubing and clunk weight in the tank is then folded back on itself (U shape) and could get a ''pinch fold'' or get stuck in that position, leading to engine cut outs when climbing. For that reason I store all my fuselages nose up against the wall. Just plug the exhaust with papertowel .

Bundu

He who does not re-plumb his engine/tank each years is looking for problems !
Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: guille2006

Not a good idea... the plane could get used to see the ground in front of him... and this is not nice while flying... HAHAHA
Guille.. and not to mention that with the plane being stored nose down, all the battery charge settles on the bottom of the pack, thus making the plane nose heavy... should store a plane horizontal to keepthe cg the same.........
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Rendegade

Bwhahahaaa! Damn you heavy electrons!