Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Baton Rouge Contest May 14-15

Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
mjfrederick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baton Rouge Contest May 14-15

Atchafalaya Basin R/C (formerly Dixie R/C) is happy to announce the return of our annual contest on May 14-15 2011. Attached is the flyer with all the pertinent info. If you have any questions you may contact either one of the CDs for additional information. Since we haven't had a contest in a while, we would appreciate as much pre-registration as possible. Please e-mail me at [email protected] with your name, frequency if applicable, and what class you fly if you plan to attend. The contest is shaping up to be a good one, and we hope to see all our friends from District 6 there!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ro41880.pdf (326.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Baton Rouge Contest May 14-15

Why are there 2 contests on the same weekend in the same district? Albuquerque has been scheduled for some time now.
Thought there were checks to prevent this. I know there hasn't been much cross-pollination between NM and LA, but now there won't be for sure.
Dan
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dan,

Sorry to say, as nsrca d6 vp, I can ask CD's to consider changing their contest dates to avoid conflicts. Ultimately, it is up to the AMA contest coordinator who issues the sanctions to decide if two events are too close to one another if they occur on the same date. When considering holiday weekends, people's/club's schedules, I feel we are doing pretty well to get as many events as we usually end up with on the schedule. In this particular case, by google's shortest route there is 1,007 miles between these two events. If you reside perfectly between the two, it is still a 500 mile coin flip. I also have a conflict in early June that I can do nothing about, although I have tried for the last two years to resolve. I would love to visit an event in Albuquerque myself, but regardless of what other events do or don't occur on the same weekend, I won't likely make the 886 mile drive. Of those that may be able to, I am sincerely jealous because I'm sure it would be memorable. Would be a heck of alot of fun to spend several weekends throughout one Summer traveling to far away contests throughout the country....maybe a good retirement dream!

Best Regards,
Mark
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 PM
mjfrederick

The conflict between these two contests has been there since the Albuquerque Club's second contest in 2007 (according to data on Don Ramsey's Pattern Page). The Dixie Club has had a mid-May contest dating back as far as I can remember, I attended my first Dixie contest in 1990. The Crowley club took over our date for a few years while our club got back on its feet, and this year we took the date back, although Crowley will still be having a spring contest the second weekend in April. Prior to the Albuquerque club creating a conflict, there was a Colorado club that had a conflict with this date as well. As Mark has pointed out, the distance between the contests is far enough that even though we're in the same district, there's not much competition for contestants. If there's complaining to do I would think it would be the Huffman, TX vs Broken Arrow, OK contests. About 500 miles apart with Dallas right in the middle. Now THAT's a conflict.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
jgg215

Actually this year is the 26th consecutive annual Roadrunner Classic in Albuquerque. It has been in mid-may for the seven years I have been in town and I applied for the sanction in January. We have been struggling to get participation from Texas for a number of years now. There may be very little choice for those around Houston but Dallas is 650 to Albuquerque and 430 to Baton Rouge. That difference is within reason to give the western part of the district a shot once in a while and a few have done so.

It would be a good idea if we work out these issues in the fall before submitting the dates to the AMA and NSRCA. We(CDs) have to work with local event schedules and host club preferences before even submitting a date for approval and I would prefer not to start that process over because of a later submission for the same dates.

John Gayer
Roadrunner Classic CD
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
protectedpilot

ORIGINAL: jgg215

Actually this year is the 26th consecutive annual Roadrunner Classic in Albuquerque. It has been in mid-may for the seven years I have been in town and I applied for the sanction in January. We have been struggling to get participation from Texas for a number of years now. There may be very little choice for those around Houston but Dallas is 650 to Albuquerque and 430 to Baton Rouge. That difference is within reason to give the western part of the district a shot once in a while and a few have done so.

It would be a good idea if we work out these issues in the fall before submitting the dates to the AMA and NSRCA. We(CDs) have to work with local event schedules and host club preferences before even submitting a date for approval and I would prefer not to start that process over because of a later submission for the same dates.

John Gayer
Roadrunner Classic CD

Well, John, as a member of Dixie all the way back into the mid eighties (remembering Matt F as a wee nipper) I can tell you Dixie's contest has been May 15 give or take a couple of days, since well before Albuquerque. Of couse, we used to be in NSRCA District 3 up until just a few years ago. Dixie predates the NSRCA as well. I do appreciate the fact that we draw contestants that Albuquerque would have a shot at.... and I also would like the opportunity to fly in NM. It is always in the back of my mind to do so one day.

But the criteria the AMA uses is a miles between contests formula; and these two fly under the radar. There is another Texas club that also eyed this date, due to similar conflicts. Problem is, down this far south, it gets HOT, and we all want to get our contests in before the dog days of summer!

Brian Clemmons
Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
jgg215

Brian,
We are having a second contest on September 10-11 and would welcome you then when you don't have a conflict.
Meanwhile I stand by my statement that we should resolve these conflicts in the fall through Mark.
John
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM
pattratt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John
I don't personally know anyone who would drive 650 miles for a two day event even if there is "NO" conflict, much less when one is 220 miles closer! Just my opinion, but I don't see your contest and Baton Rouge as a conflict! The Huffman/Tulsa date IS a definite conflict and I agree with you that it should be worked out in the fall next year.
Dick
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
jgg215

Dick,

If I want to go to any contest that is not in Albuquerque, it will be a minimum of 450 miles for Phoenix or Denver. Next closest is probably Dallas or Yuma these days. I have driven 700 plus miles for a weekend contest a number of times in years past. Jeff Carder and Art Wagner have both come to the Albuquerque contest in the past. I saw Earl Haury at the Phoenix contest last month and Dan Underkofler, Chuck Schone and Jim Rogers from Colorado were also at Phoenix. That is well  in excess of 700 miles. I suspect you do know some of these wide-ranging competitors.

I do not consider Baton Rouge a major problem for our contest and I did not bring up the conflict here or anywhere else. However, Dan's point  earlier in this thread is well taken. There are enough weekends in the year that we should be able to avoid conflicts in District 6 if we get organized before dates get set in stone locally and through the AMA. Nor was I particularly amused by the attitude that Baton Rouge owns that date.

Cheers
John
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM
pattratt

John
I'm not sure about the others but I know Earl is retired and I didn't consider retires in my response and probably should have. I guess it's all what you get use to as far as the distance if one is not working or has the option to take long weekends. I guess in your area that 700 miles is normal if you wish to compete, but in this area I doubt that very many would go so far to a two day event because there are so many contests generally no more than 250 to 300 miles away. I agree that conflicts should be worked out if possible but I feel 500 miles is stretching the limit somewhat for a two day event for most but as you say not all!
I guess that's the price you guys pay for living in such a beautiful place!
Good luck on your event.
Dick
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
jgg215

Dick,

There is one way to make a distant contest work and that is to combine the contest with a vacation. I see the following itinerary which involves bringing wives, kids, significant other, pattern buddies, etc.

1. Drive to Albuquerque and arrive in time to do some flying on Friday.
2. Compete Saturday/Sunday and pick up trophy
3. Sunday afternoon head for the New Mexico or Colorado Mountains for a reserved cabin, campsite, RV site
4. Get up Monday and catch brookies for breakfast in the nearby stream
5. Over the next few days enjoy white water rafting, hiking a 14000 foot peak(or less), mountain biking, mountain trails on horseback. golf with real terrain, investigating Mesa Verde, the Durango-Silverton railroad and spring skiing at A-Basin.
6. If not exhausted by all this, you can see if your foamies will hover at 11000 feet. if you are really ambitious, you could backpack that foamie to the top of the 14er and try it there
7. On your way home you can make a slight detour to visit your long-standing friends who moved to Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, west Texas, Oklahoma who you haven't seen in years.

While these are not reasons to come to a specific distant pattern contest every year, it does make a wonderful one-time vacation and, of course, an opportunity to make some new pattern friends.

Cheers,
John

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
pattratt

Hey John
Sounds like a winner to me!
Dick
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 AM
mjfrederick

OK, this may sound a little harsh, but here is the contest history since 2003 (per Don Ramsey's Pattern Page):
2003 - Baton Rouge Contest May 17 - 18, no conflict, Albuquerque contest June 14 - 15
2004 - Baton Rouge Contest May 15 - 16, "conflict" w/ Aurora, CO contest, Albuquerque contest June 19 - 20
2005 - Baton Rouge Contest May 15 - 16, no conflict, Albuquerque contest June 18 - 19
2006 - Baton Rouge Contest May 20 - 21, conflict w/ Temple, TX contest, Albuquereque contest May 6 - 7
2007 - Baton Rouge Contest (held at RAMS field) May 19 - 20, "conflict" w/ Albuquerque contest
2008 - Baton Rouge Contest (held at RAMS field) May 17 - 18, "conflict" w/ Albuquerque contest
2009 - Baton Rouge Contest (held at RAMS field) May 16 - 17, "conflict" w/ Albuquerque contest
2010 - Baton Rouge Contest (held at RAMS field) May 15 - 16, "conflict" w/ Albuquerque contest
2011 - Baton Rouge Contest May 14 - 15, "conflict" w/ Albuquerque contest
Now, that being said, I'm not saying that our club "owns" the date, but given the history, we were there first. The decision to move the Albuquerque contest from mid-June to mid-May should have taken into consideration contests that were already being held around that time in the district. We didn't cause the conflict, and you coming on my thread complaining about the conflict that was not created by us is in pretty poor taste. If you want to advertise your contest, by all means start your own thread, but don't come on mine making it look like we caused a conflict.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 AM
wattsup

mjfrederick, I love it when you stand your ground and "get tough"! The history/dates you provided, speak for themselves. I bet he'll think twice before he pops off again! With the projected cost of gas to be $4-$5 per gallon shortly, we all will be considering driving less. BTW, who with AMA has the responsibilty to coordinate these contest dates? Please don't tell me this task has been delegated to someone "off shore"! Regards, Everette
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
shepga

So, how 'bout we get this thread back to it's original intent!

Hey Matt, Ya'll putt'n on a contest May 14th - 15th down in Dixie? Can you order up some good weather, good cookin for us? How's the runway? Last time I was at Dixie in 2000 it was a grass field. Will this contest be at the same location? Is there camping & hookups onsite? If advanced registration is avaiable can you keep us posted on the numbers of folks signed up? Sure hope there's a great turn out since folks in this part of the south know Louisianna wrote the book on contest hospiatilty!
Glad to see Baton Rouge back on the contest callendar.

Glen
(From Dallas)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 PM
mjfrederick

Glen,

Good cooking I can promise, good weather... no promise there. It's been pretty nice here lately though, the storms have mainly stuck to weekdays. Thanks to the rain we've been getting the runway is in pretty good shape, and we have recently repaired one of our tractor mowers that gave us the ability to fix the cracks that develop in the ground around here when it dries up. Camping is allowed on-site, but no hook-ups. We do have running water and a toilet at the field, but no electricity. The field is the same location as it's always been, only thing that has changed is the name: we've gone from Dixie R/C to Atchafalaya Basin R/C. I have asked that those planning to attend send me a pre-registration e-mail so I can try and get as much done in advance as possible, but I've only received one e-mail asking for our location. Anyone planning to attend, please e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks for the reply, Glen, and we look forward to seeing you in May!

Matt
Old 05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
pattratt

What's the latest on the contest for next weekend? Any recomendations on hotels and information etc close to the field?
Thanks
Dick
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM
mjfrederick

See my previous post for hotels in the area. Closest to the field will be anything in Port Allen, LA.

I also want to announce that we have decided to do something a little different for the FAI class. We will offer the opportunity for pilots in that class to decide prior to the start of the contest whether they want to fly the P class only, or if they want to fly P and F. The two will be run as separate contests. We will be offering a first through third place trophy for the "F" class, and first place only for the "P" class. Also, we had a scheduling conflict with our chef, so the pastalaya advertised on the flyer won't be happening. We'll just be offering the standard concessions. Still planning on a crawfish dinner for Saturday afternoon.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM
pattratt

[quote]ORIGINAL: mjfrederick
See my previous post for hotels in the area. Closest to the field will be anything in Port Allen, LA.

There must be another thread as I did not see anything on this thread or the brochure relating to hotels? Mabe I need better glasses!

I will check out Port Allen on map Quest. Still not sure if I will make it. I have issues!!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
protectedpilot

Good job, Matt, with the updates! I just got back from the field, we've got the whole thing cut like infield areas for campers. I've spent the last week killing ants, too. No ants, tonight anyway, in the infield or campground. The farmland surrounding the field has been converted to a hay field the past few years, and they just cut and hauled hay out tonight. If anybody loses as much as a spinner, it will be easy to find. We are a small club, but we do our best; things are looking better than they have in a while. Two hurricanes left us battered, but we're bouncing back! Come see us....

Brian Clemmons
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 AM
mjfrederick

I apologize to pattratt. I just realized that your post was not in the same thread where I posted hotel information. I had let this one die due to the spamming by the other club. Here's a link to the other thread: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10460593/anchors_10513535/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10513535]Atchafalaya Basin R/C Contest[/link]
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM
pattratt

Looks like they are going to try and divert some of the flooding river to the west of Baton Rouge. What is this going to do to field access from the west and Port Allen??
Dick
Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 PM
protectedpilot

It won't affect us. We are RIGHT at the base of the levee, true (outside of the Spillway) BUT, they're not going to open the Morganza structure until sometime between Saturday and Tuesday, about 40 miles away. It'll take two days to fill up near us. So, we're clear until Monday or Wednesday. Either way, the interstate is above the high water mark!

Right now, the field is high and dry, with every expectation it will remain so. I looked at the Mississippi River today, we still have another five feet to rise before they contemplate opening the Spillway. WE ARE ON FOR THE WEEKEND.

Brian Clemmons