Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

My New Futaba 18 MZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My New Futaba 18 MZ

ORIGINAL: Gulliver

Futaba must have separate engineering/software/marketing teams for each product that are forbidden to talk to each other - and tech writers from Mars.

And their, apparenly atrophied, management must still be in place.
Not Mars. R'lyeh.

And they are not atrophied - they are waiting for the stars to be right!

Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

Yep - just had an impulse buy on the way home today. Below is the official handover ceremony.

One of the first here to get to hold one

a LOT of features and a LOT faster to do stuff than the 14MZ. I still have a lot to learn on it though
Awesome... Thanks for posting..I was inPerth for 3 years until last week!. Say G'day to the man in the Orange shirt from Rob please next time you are in the store...
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

The 14MZ is a nice radio but it always feels a little strange in my hands (I had JR for years before I bought the 14MZ and they are a different feel).

The real benefits to me on the 18 over the 14 are:
Much faster to boot up (after the first boot up of the day)
A MUCH longer lasting battery - I ran mine last night for over 2 hours, (about 1 of which was setting up a plane just to get my head around the menus) and it only had lost about 15% of its charge in that time.
The programing response time is very fast and the menus are a little easier to understand for dummies like me.
It contains a built in programmer for the S-Bus servos etc
It can have a keyboard, screen and mouse plugged directly into it.
No need to find a dark shady spot to be able to read the screen.
It has a much nicer feel in my hand (could be psycological too)

but more importantly to me - it has telemetry. Coming very soon are some sensors that include temps, altitude, GPS, RPM, voltages and a few others. That information can be shown on the screen in real time (which is pretty useless really as watching the screen instead of th eplane will usually end in tears) but it can also be recorded during the flight (along with stick movements!!). Now I will know EXACTLY where I crashed, why I crashed, and how I crashed - add an on board camera and I will be able to even SEE all that.
Come to think of it - that might not be such a good thing - now I will have to blame something new for my crashes.

I like the idea of recording telemetry and stick movements... .. sounds super geeky.. my kind of radio!.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:28 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: pattratt

cmoulder
The ''Sun light'' readable screen and much longer battery life are two very big issues with me. The telemetry for me is a saftey issue as it will audio alarm if there is a problem in reception and on board battery issue or heat issue. If your setup requires four servos in the tail you can set it up with a single cable from the receiver instead of four heavey servo extension leads. The list goes on and on. I am sure there are functions that I don't even know about!
Dick
OK those sound like some great features. The good thing is that in a couple of years there will be some tech trickle-down to the less expensive units, such as has happened with the 8FG.

You can make your own multi servo cables also by using a couple of 14 AWG wires (for power and ground) and 2, 3 or 4 22 AWG signal wires branching into separate connectors with common power and ground. Something to do on those cold winter days when you feel like soldering together a puzzle.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:40 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If your setup requires four servos in the tail you can set it up with a single cable from the receiver instead of four heavey servo extension leads.
While this might sound like a great feature, I'm sorry but I'd much rather the redundancy of 4 heavy leads to 4 servos than a single fatigued wire or dodgey connector costing me control over the WHOLE back end of my plane.

I don't think s-buss should be allowed in "overweight" models but that's just my paranoid opinion...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bjr
Dang, I guess that "Galloping Ghost" system you have is still working great for you! :-):-)
Dick
Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Hey Dick transfered all of my planes from my 14Mz to the 18Mz through the USB port, EVERYTHING IS GREAT!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though some people think the Futaba will have problems selling this radio......

Mine just shipped, I think is the second batch, and the stock status changed from mid Dec to early Jan, on the first batch, and early Jan to early Feb on the same day on the second! that is a lot of back orders....

Hopefully it will be a great radio, as the manual does not shows that much besides S.Bus, dual Rx, and telemetry (I already forgot lot of what I read), so far it has the same 8 conditions and the snap roll function is still bad, so I will program it in conditions, but have to play with it yet next week.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 AM
woodie

apereira,

What is 'bad' about the snap roll function?

thanks
Woodie
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

If your setup requires four servos in the tail you can set it up with a single cable from the receiver instead of four heavey servo extension leads.
While this might sound like a great feature, I'm sorry but I'd much rather the redundancy of 4 heavy leads to 4 servos than a single fatigued wire or dodgey connector costing me control over the WHOLE back end of my plane.

I don't think s-buss should be allowed in ''overweight'' models but that's just my paranoid opinion...
A single elevator failure with whatever reason is fatel. So sharing the battery wires between the two elevators does not introduce extra risk.

The sodering has to be solid though.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
apereira

Hi Woodi,

It does have a switch and a safety switch, and I learned to the snap rolls with no switches, but using the stick as switches and logic on the Flight Conditions, where in JR the three axis are set in any combination to activate the snap roll, and that is done in the four different directions in totally separate screens, Futaba is behind on that, don't get me wrong, I switched from my JR12X to the Futaba 12Z because I was waiting for the 18MZ, and love every bit of Futaba, but the snap roll, that is why is rarely used by the top pilots.

The 12X has 5 Flight modes, but the snap roll is a flight mode itself, so it actually becomes 7 flight modes on the 12X, and I am using 7 flight modes already in my Futaba set up. I think the snap roll in Futaba has been ignored for a while.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Do many really us a snap roll switch? Having to potentially do 4 different snaps, wanting lead with and/or come out of the elevator early..... seems like it makes it desireable to fly snaps with the sticks.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
apereira

Underdw,

Maybe you got me wrong, you are 100% correct on the snap, is not the use of a snap sw, is the snap as a condition, activated by the sticks working as switches to set the snap rates as the four snaps are usually different, is just that JR lets you do that, get off the elev to say one and still be at the snap rates, because you can set the three axis independently, when in Futaba you can only set two axis, ie, ail, elev or ail rud.

That does not makes me want to go back to JR, I am flying with no problems on the snap, it is just that I wonder why is a powerful radio like this still have the old snap function...

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for clarifying Alejandro. I hadn't explored that functionality on my 12x. I'll look into it. Thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
flyf3a

Hi.

Mine due in a weeks time. Did it come with a transmitter case? Also any idea on the cost for the telemetery sensors?

Regards

Burt
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
apereira

Mine just arrived, but I will look at it tomorrow as I am out of town, about the sensors, Towerhobbies has a list and prices, but just that.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: flyf3a

Hi.

Mine due in a weeks time. Did it come with a transmitter case? Also any idea on the cost for the telemetery sensors?

Regards

Burt

Telemetry sensors.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=MKL&V=FUT

Using the R7008SB you get RX pack and motor pack voltages WITHOUT using additional sensors.

Yes, it comes with a case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzvA...eature=related

Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: apereira

Hi Woodi,

It does have a switch and a safety switch, and I learned to the snap rolls with no switches, but using the stick as switches and logic on the Flight Conditions, where in JR the three axis are set in any combination to activate the snap roll, and that is done in the four different directions in totally separate screens, Futaba is behind on that, don't get me wrong, I switched from my JR12X to the Futaba 12Z because I was waiting for the 18MZ, and love every bit of Futaba, but the snap roll, that is why is rarely used by the top pilots.

The 12X has 5 Flight modes, but the snap roll is a flight mode itself, so it actually becomes 7 flight modes on the 12X, and I am using 7 flight modes already in my Futaba set up. I think the snap roll in Futaba has been ignored for a while.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Alejandro, could you give an example of what you are saying the Futaba can't do? Certainly all three axes can be set differently in each condition and it seems like one should be able to set four different snap conditions with the sticks/logic. What am I missing?

Jim O
Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
apereira

Jim,

The three axis can be set on any radio for travel, what Futaba can not do is set the three axis as switches to enter the snap roll mode or condition, only two can be set, so either elev ail, or ail rud, but not the three of them, so there is not much flexibility as with JR where as long as the three axis are input, it will not get out of snap mode, on Futaba if I release the Rud or the elev it will.

Of course it always depend on the snap roll, some do need that some do not. My point is, I thought Futaba will improve the function but it remains the same.....
I wish we will see a radio one day where we can create/customize our own functions.
Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
jgg215

Alejandro,
I'm not sure how you set up your JR. As I understand it, you are saying that as long as EL-AIL-RUD sticks are not released, then you are switched to the snap condition. The Futaba only allows 2 logic inputs but will still release if you center either of them when you use an "AND" function in the logic statement.
I think what you are trying to do is partially release one of the controls and find yourself reverting to your "normal" condition. Perhaps if you use the hysteresis function on your stick inputs, you can overcome this problem. Try setting the "on" point at 90% stick and the release at 20% stick. Then you should be able to partially release any of the stick inputs. If you are only releasing elevator then you should use aileron and rudder as the two inputs and the problem will go away.
John
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: apereira

Jim,

The three axis can be set on any radio for travel, what Futaba can not do is set the three axis as switches to enter the snap roll mode or condition, only two can be set, so either elev ail, or ail rud, but not the three of them, so there is not much flexibility as with JR where as long as the three axis are input, it will not get out of snap mode, on Futaba if I release the Rud or the elev it will.

Of course it always depend on the snap roll, some do need that some do not. My point is, I thought Futaba will improve the function but it remains the same.....
I wish we will see a radio one day where we can create/customize our own functions.
Regards

Alejandro P.
Alejandro, I believe you are mistaken about the Futaba's ability to set switches for selecting a condition. When setting a snap condition you would select logic. You will then get a screen allowing two switches and a logic function like "and" to be selected. Instead you would be able to select logic for each of these switches and now you would have a choice of four switches (or sticks) that can be and'd or or'd or whatever you want to do. So you could use J1 and J3 on one side and'd with J2 on the other side. If any one of the sticks is not at the on position you come out of the snap condition. Is that what you want?

Jim O
Old 01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
apereira

Jim,

What you describe is exactly what I have set up, that's the way I have it. What I mean is JR gives you three logic switches, and Futaba gives you two logic switches, directions don't count as a sw as it is the same sw (sticks). So in JR you need elev,ail and rudd input at the same time(and) to get snap roll condition, and in Futaba only two (logic).

John,

Is that what Hysteresis does? what an ass am I, that is exactly what I need, I'll try it tomorrow on the radio. Futaba's manual sucks, but JR does too. I can't understand how is it that such expensive radios have so bad manuals(incomplete and confusing some times), one thing is for sure the transition form JR12X to Futaba has been hard programming wise, learning how to "think" Futaba is not easy.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The Hysterysis in the setting of the stick switch on/off points allows you to set the "on" point different to the "off" point. For a simple one stick switch scenario, you might need 90% of stick movement away from neutral to turn the condition on, but have to bring the stick back to within 5% of neutral for the condition to turn off. This effectively locks the condition "on" until the stick is re-centred. Used in conjunction with logic, this would keep the AND logic condition true until either stick was re-centred.

I've experienced weird servo movement when using delays between the conditions and have avoided them ever since. I had one plane that If I set a long delay between conditions the servo's would twitch to another spot then to where they're supposed to be for the new condition, then twitch to the correct spot. I was expecting to get a smooth transition.

I can't speak for the 18MZ but I'm certain the logic for the 14MZ was expanded a while back to allow the use of more than two inputs for logic.

The only problem I have with using stick switches for snaprolling is that my "normal" condition elevator rates aren't enough to give the break our judges are looking for, and it's not until I get the rest of the sticks boxed that I get the proper Snap condition rates. Good thing I only have one snap to worry about

I look forward to getting my 18MZ in about 5-6 years time [&o]
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM
apereira

Exactly one of the things I say, that is why I use a condition for the snap, so when the sticks hit the established position it goes to snap throws set in the AFR within the condition.

Regards

Alejandro P.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM
jgg215

bjr_93tz
You could dual rate the elevator based on elevator stick position being at the end point in normal mode. That would give you the extra kick you need for the break. When you bring in the rudder and aileron the elevator would switch over to the snap condition gain. Of course this wouldn't work if you ever use full elevator stick during other maneuvers besides the spin, which I assume is already a different condition.
Alejandro,
The only way to beat the manual problem is the way you did. Post the question here. Fortunately, it always seems like someone(s) has been there before you. It can save a lot of time and headscratching.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.