Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Great Team Trials!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great Team Trials!

I would like to take this time to say Thanks to Everybody who were responsible for putting on the Nat`s. Team trials.
Arch ran a" Tight Ship "

I would also like to reconize a few Guys who were involved in my Alferma Project.
First Mark Hunt has done an enormous amout of work for me putting my drawings in C.A.D. and helping me get some laser cut wings done for the TT.
Mark is a First class Engineer.

Randy Hicks of Talon Fame, completed my nose molds for me and pulled the parts so I could complete Brett`s two Valiant models for the WC last year.

Merle Hyde What can I say, he was very Patient with me, made me about 7 Mounts as I would give him feed back on what we had to work through.
In the end, he made me a mount that was 65 Grams. This was Crucial in making the weight limit and being able to make the noise test we tested 1/2 DB under at full throttle on a YS 1.75 using a prop I had APC make for us when the engine was made available to us a few years ago. It`s a 19.5-11.5 turning 7400 rpm.

My friend Bill Clark scrambeled for me, and made me two finely machined aluminum backplates matched to Carbon spinners from Ron Van Putte
a light weight aluminum prop washer this saved me over one ounce over a lightened True Turn spinner.
Bill Also made all my Control horns for me on the model. I will be offering these for sale soon.
Bill can do Wonders with a CNC Machine and continues to amaze me!

I would Like to Thank All those Who responded to my request for retracts for this model
Ron Van Putte ,Dag the Elder ,Everette Carpenter, Jay Gerber , and many more I have forgotten,

Mister Haohisa Yamada sent me two new YS Headers from Japan at great expense, for me to save some weight and use the new Header in competition.
It worked perfectly saved me some weight and was a very nice adition to the airplane. Richard and Central Hobbies should have some in stock soon..
the features are no more screws just a big capture nut, with a very nice spanner wrench. It takes a few seconds to set the angle and then you just tighten.

Fred Lewis at Cool Power Fuels has worked and supported us with top quality fuels.

I would like to thank Richard Verano at YS for his support to Brett and I,as well as Central Hobbies for their support, and jumping through Hoops for me to get things I needed for the project, where ever we could find them (usually Japan Thanks Al Coomber ,and Roxie for all your help and support,and hooking me up to get custom bent Titanium retract gear by Claude Weimer.

Frank Knoll at Hobbico has been A great help to us on this project supplying with Futaba Brand Radio and Gear it all worked flawless.

Lone Star Balsa for supplying me with the best Quality wood I have ever seen ,to make this Giant Bipe able to make weight at 5030grams.

I hope I have not left anyone out
This has been a two year project, and now it`s ready to be sent to the Factory for production look for it in the Fall

I would like to say I think YS Power on a Bipe Made a nice impression this year. We were lonely at the Top running glow,But I really beleive we had the best presentation and the most beautiful sound in the air and I believe This will help YS make a comeback in top level competition. there is just no denying the power, constant speed,and presentation we were able to achieve with the 1.75 and Bipe.

here are a few photo`s and a link to a Vid taken by Matt Fredrick of the round two F pattern

enjoy Bryan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOqZigtIrM
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16886.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1787087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26169.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1787088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77563.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1787089  
Old 07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Team Trials!

Bryan,

Well done!

Excellent flying by Brett Wickizer as well....

Wish both of you the best at the Worlds!

Edit: I wish the whole team great success at the Worlds. It would be great if one of our three was crowned top dawg!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:28 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Matt

We will do Our Best torepresent the US.
Andrew and Jason also flew very well ,I think Andrew is probably the best flier in the world at the Moment ,we will have a strong team
Bryan
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
DagTheElder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flyncajun,

A pleasure to help you out with your project.

Congrats with excellent results.

Best regards
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Bill Clark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the kind words Bryan. Its gratifying to know I was able to make a contribution to the outstanding effort you and Brett have put forth and to share in the passion. Looking forward to the future.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM
protectedpilot

One thing I'd like to mention, as one of the judges sitting in the chair during this flight: the WIND. All of the pilots had a tremendous wind to contend with. At one point, six large men laid hold to the tent we judges were under to hold it down. One contestant flew outside of the box backwards, having pulled a tad late for the knife edge cuban (unknowns) and being carried past the poles by forward momentum and the wind. Backwards. It was wild, and an awesome sight to behold, how the finalists handled the wind; three better than others, congratulations Andrew, Jason and Brett.

Brian
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
n233w

Yes, you could see the wind from the video. Thanks for the great video! Brett was scaring me though with waiting so long to put the gear down.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
mjfrederick

ORIGINAL: n233w

Yes, you could see the wind from the video. Thanks for the great video! Brett was scaring me though with waiting so long to put the gear down.
Don't worry, he scared ALL of us...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM
mjfrederick

ORIGINAL: flyncajun

Thanks Matt

We will do Our Best torepresent the US.
Andrew and Jason also flew very well ,I think Andrew is probably the best flier in the world at the Moment ,we will have a strong team
Bryan
I judged the first round of F, and was able to watch most of the rest of the flying. I have to agree with this statement 100%. In that first round it was fairly obvious it would be a 3-way race to second and third, but Andrew was so darn consistent, and so good even in the strong winds that it was apparent he wasn't going to be denied another championship.

Great flying by all, and we're especially proud of Brett here in District 6 for his 3rd Team USA appearance in a row! Geaux team!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 AM
ROOKIE PILOT

Thanks for the kind words Bryan, good luck to you and Brett at the World's. Glad I was able to help the team again.
Randy

Team Talon
Old 07-31-2012, 04:28 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

We have a first rate team for South Africa. Congrats to all of the Team members!

One thing became clear at this years Nats, which will also hold true at the worlds. Since BOTH unknowns count in the finals, along with one of the two F sequences, the competitors are going to have to spend a lot of time on practicing mock unknowns. They cannot afford a zero or near zero single manuever in either of the unknowns, or an "off" round, or they will not be in the running. With the old rules, you had a throw away unknown round; not anymore. I hope Chip doesn't mind me saying this, but he had issues with his first unknown, just an "off" round, and there was no way for him to recover to the top three after that.

Second, the unknowns are now much tougher than the F sequence, a turnaround from what it was at the last World Championships. With such a high required total K for the unknowns, every center manuever has to be either a K5 or a K6. I judged the first unknown, and the first manuever could almost have been used by itself to determine who would win the round. Unbelievably tough sequences. one weird thing, both unknowns had a multitude of snaps, but there were no spins in either sequence.

One good thing is that this new scoring method will prevent someone from winning the Worlds after the first F and first unknown. Last year, I believe CPLR won by getting 1000s for the first F and first unknown. Even if someone else had won both the second F and second unknown, CPLR had higher semi finals scores, so he couldn't be beat. Now they can't win until the last unknown is flown.

Another thing has become clear to me. 1/2 point scores are desperately needed in FAI. The top fliers are so close in skills that differentiating them, especially in the P rounds and the semis, is extremely tough. The judges need the ability to distinguish between a slight flaw and a more serious flaw before they take off a whole point.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad I could help. Congrats to both you and Brett!