Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Four Ailerons on 18MZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Four Ailerons on 18MZ

Looking for some help from someone more 18MZ savvy than me!

I'm setting up a new biplane and want to copy an existing monoplane model memory into a new model memory and then add the two extra ailerons. I want to do it this way rather than setting up a new model type with 4 ailerons in a new memory because I have already set up my conditions, hardware settings (I use an analogue throttle trim), throttle curves and end points etc.

So the copied model is set up as a two aileron wing and two servo tail. I have then added two program mixes, aileron to aux5 and aileron2 to aux4. Both the mixes are linear 100% and both master channels are set to link mixing with a + showing to the left of the master channel on the mix screen. When I move the aileron stick the ail, ail2 and aux5 servos all move but the aux4 doesn't. I can get the aux4 servo to move by setting up the second mix from ail to aux4 but don't want to do it that way because I also want the aileron differential function to work.

Ive tried playing with combinations of the link mixing but can't get anywhere. Can anyone help please?

Malcolm
Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 AM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Malcolm,
You can ,in your copy, redefine the wing type to 4 Ail.
That will then give you Ail,Ail2, Ail3 and Ail4 to assign.
Or
Assign 2 channels to Ail,, and 2 channels to Ail2. If you do this you must make sure that the two on Ail, are on the same side of the model for the diff,, to work.
Mixers are a bad way to set up 4 ailerons.

Brian
Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Completely agree with Brian. That is how I did mine. Still gives you independent end points and such, but everything else functions perfectly.

Arch
Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Sorry, double post.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Malcolm H

Actually Brian,
If you change model type within an existing model memory all flight condition information is overwritten.

I see how to do this now using the Function command so thanks to you and Arch for that.

Malcolm
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Malcolm H

I didn't understand the Function command as well as I thought. I don't see how to assign two channels to Aileron2. When you go into Function, Aileron2 shows as having Null for both the command control and the trim. It's obviously assigned to work from the Ailleron stick and trim by the Model Type command. I can see how I make Aux5 work with Aileron1 by assigning the command control and trim to it the same as Aileron1 but how do I do the same for Aux4 when the channel I want to mate it to is Null and Null?

If I assign it to the same controls as Ailron1 then the differential won't work.

I'm sure this will become easy after a few thousand hours programming but at the moment I'm stumped!

Malcolm
Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 PM
serious power

Malcolm,
Let's say you want ch1 as ail and ch2 as ail2.
In function ,open the function field in Ch2 and assign ail2 , Then you 'must' assign the control stick to which this responds and the trim also.
The diff,, then works on the response of these channels to the control input - the system knows you have 2 ail channels and the diff function adjusts the response - not the input .

Brian

Last edited by serious power; 04-22-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:31 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Malcolm,

Here is the model file for my Citrin for the 18, you can download it, then change the file extension to .mdl to get it to work (I had to change it to pdf to get it to load). Then you should be able to see how it looks when its setup for the 4 aileron servos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Citrin_Chad Northeast.pdf (192.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Malcolm H

Thanks for all those that extremely helpful replies, this is what is so great about this forum!

Actually after I posted last night I suddenly realised that the "Function" command was much more powerful than I thought and that by tapping the function name field, a window opens which allows you to change the function for each channel. You can then assign the same function to multiple channels. I had assumed the function name was merely a label!

A couple of presses this morning and I now have ch1 and ch8 as Aileron and ch6 and ch9 as Aileron2. The aileron differential function works perfectly.

All these years of JR operation will take some forgetting!

Malcolm
Old 04-23-2014, 12:32 AM
serious power

Malcolm,
You should put those on the same side together - per Futaba - eg 1&2 then say 6&7.
Maybe wth sbus this is not necessary.
Actually I think that with sbus you may only need one channel per side - have not used it yet though.

Brian

PS; I think ,now that you have a bipe, that you might be better to construct a 4 aileron template and store it.
This will allow you play with aileron braking and or more flexibly with flaps/spoilers which can be useful on poor grass fields.

Last edited by serious power; 04-23-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 AM
Malcolm H

You are correct Brian,

It would be possible to use just one channel per side and tell each servo in a pair to look at that channel. The downside of doing this is that if you want to make sub trim or end point adjustments to an individual servo you need to do it either through the Tx Sbus programming slot in the rear or through a separate programmer, either way through a physical connection to the bus.

Much easier to assign separate channels and use the radio.

Malcolm
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The SBus is actually identical to the normal channels, the only difference is the conection to the Rx, I for example used the radio to program each servo for center so I do not use the subtrim function, same as for direction, the the chanel number I assigned with the Function button, but each servo has a channel, it does not matter if it has one conector, the servos come with a decal you can place close to the servo, and if for any reason you would like to change something in a servo, you simply enter the code of the servo and reprograme it, it does not have to be disconected from the others, I really like the system.

regards

Alejandro P.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 AM
Niall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used SBus for the first time on the Accuracy and have a 4 aileron setup with each aileron having a separate channel and name assigned. I am amazed how simple the SBus is to setup and implement. I used the smaller 4port receiver so I have 1 port for all 4 ailerons , Each wing has a Y lead that i plug into the sbus cable, 1 port for the elv/rud, 1 port for the esc and 1 port for batt. I have the second batt connected to the aileron sbus lead. The receiver weighs only 7g .

Niall