Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Stick Tension and Thottle Friction

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Stick Tension and Thottle Friction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM
learn2turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick Tension and Thottle Friction

My DX9 as it came out of the box has very light stick spring tension and very light (non-click) throttle friction. At least compared to some other radios I've used.

Sometimes I find myself accidentally leaving in a bit of rudder, usually left. I seem to forget to move it all the way back to center.

Another think I notice if I'm trying to do a very slow roll where I need to give it a fair amount of down elevator during the inverted phase to maintain a level flight that when I add a lot of elevator, I can't help not adding more aileron and then the second 1/2 of the roll isn't slow any more.

I also sometime blip the throttle when inputting a lot of rudder.

I would think stiffening the springs and adding more throttle friction might help all that but I'd like to learn what other stick feel people like. Maybe it really is advantageous to have lighter sticks and I just need to be less sloppy. Or maybe stiffer sticks is indeed better for all-around precise flying.

Can anyone relate how they like spring tension and throttle friction and why and the pluses/minuses of any particular feel?

-l2t aka Ken
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I fly with a tray so I run the sticks all the way out and medium-high tension. The SD10 comes with a stiffer set of springs that I have in tightened about half way. It also allows you to adjust the amount of ratchet and throttle tension. I use almost no ratchet and set the tension to match the other sticks. I really don't like the super soft way that radios come out of the box.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
n233w

You will get some big names in the RC education field talking about the higher the stick tension, the better, and I tend to agree. I think you can set a rachet for the throttle which might be helpful.

bp
Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 AM
learn2turn

Well it sure does sound like I might want to try to higher stick tension then.

It's been a looong time since I used a ratchet throttle. I converted my last radio to smooth as I used it to fly a little heli and the DX9 came smooth. But I might give that a go also. But I think I'd only like ratchet if it could make it really like, just enough to know when I'm changing it. I do also use the same Tx to dabble in 3D.

-Ken
Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Dean Pappas

Hi Ken,
The old Dave Brown quote was, "Soft sticks sell radios and stiff sticks win contests."
Regards,
Dean Pappas
Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with the sentiment here. Stiff sticks are typically a band aid for errors in basic (but not easy!) stick movement. I would concentrate your efforts on solving the real issue and not merely minimizing it.

I flew with very stiff springs in intermediate and as I moved up I came to the conclusion that stiff springs were just obstacles to overcome on things like roll reversals or anytime you had to move through center (like changing rudder direction). The precision needs to come from your thumbs. I've made it a point to ask several top pilots about their stick setup after I arrived at this conclusion and found everyone I've asked agrees.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:57 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's personal preference. When I was really getting in to pattern in the early 90s, I had Kirk Gray and Mike McCormick as mentors. They both flew with ultra stiff springs. Over the last 20 years I've just become used to it and can't stand soft springs . Typically, I fly with less Expo than others as the stuff springs are sort of built in Expo. Some say they prefer soft springs, others love the stiff springs. Stiff springs definitely help if you tend to get nervous and your thumbs shake. Another consideration is some newer radios don't have strong enough gimbals to handle the ultra stiff after market Springs. I think most guys who fly thumbs prefer softer setups. I fly finger/thumb and move my hand more than just my thumbs. Because of this, the stiff Springs help. Probably similar to the neckstrap, tray, or nothing argument. They all work, but different people prefer different things. Certainly won't hurt anything to try a different setup.

Arch

Last edited by rcpattern; 07-11-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
jim woodward

Agree with Brett,

Plus, stiff sticks creates a false or conflict with exponential. Flying precision helicopters is a great way to really see the value in having a smooth stick motion that passes easily in and around centers.
Jim
Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 AM
danamania

So Ken, to your OP, which do you prefer: Thumbs or Thumb + forefinger? It may be that the former flyers prefer less stick tension and the use latter stiffer springs, or so as this conversation goes. These style preferences are of interest to me too as many of my mentors fly with very stiff sticks but they also fly thumb + forefingers, whereas I just fly with thumbs. Have tried both but keep coming back to thumbs only.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Jason Arnold

One also needs to consider if their gimbals will withstand the extra tension that stronger springs will impart on them. I used to fly with stronger springs but now fly with the new Multiplex Profi Tx. The gimbals are very soft and smooth. It doesn't take long to get used to the soft feel either. I believe Brett is right in saying that stronger springs will mask other root causes. Each to their own though.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM
ANGELITA
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Dean:
I agree with you
I read your column in the FM Magazine for years (the best source of information for pattern pilot)
Sincerely
Mario Vagliente
Argentina
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
learn2turn

I fly thumbs. My Dx9 came with extremely soft sticks. I upped the tension just a tad and like it better. I'll continue to play with it and see how I like it. My guess is I'll came to like it moderate; I don't think I would want it so stiff that aftermarket springs are needed.

On the throttle, one thing I really like about the DX9 is there are two screws, one for smooth friction and one for ratchet friction. It is not either/or. You can adjust both the smooth and ratchet action incrementally. I upped the ratchet a bit. Now it has a tad more friction but doesn't really click a true ratchet with discrete positions; it just feels like it's teeny but rough. That sounds weird but what it does is provide some tactile feedback so you can feel that you are changing the throttle. It helps prevent unknowingly changing throttle when applying rudder.

-l2t aka Ken
Old 07-17-2014, 06:28 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I started to fly helicopters "way back when" I was "told" you have to have light stick tension to fly well so that's what I did. Don't fly heli's any more but kept the soft sticks. 20 years later I started to fly DLG's and was "told" stiff sticks were better. Well I tried it and I prefer stiff sticks now for everything. It helps me find "center" better. I'm flying a Hitec A9 so it's easy to adjust stick tension. I kept adding tension until it felt "right". I think I'm as tight as they go. I'm positive stick tension and engine oil are personal preference things LOL. OH, I HATE the ratchet on the throttle The click is NEVER in the right spot.

Ken (not the op)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 PM
dksnyder

Interesting discussion on stick tension........

What about stick LENGTH??
I have been trying to "Shorten" my right stick, but I only find replacement stick-ends that are "LONG".
(I believe the "factory" stick-ends are 24mm long....)
Do they make a shorter end?

What are your opinions on length??
Sometimes I feel that the long (standard) stick hampers me from making quick/smooth movement from side to side.
What do "the experts" use?
I fly with thumb/finger on the aileron/Elev stick and just thumb on the rudder/Th stick.

Don
Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 AM
ANGELITA
My Feedback: (7)

Hello:
My sticks of all transmitters arent stiff and longest (aftermarket sticks)
Te advantadge of stick lenght is the mechanical expo (more lenght more expo)
For pattern flying is better

Mario
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no "better" way than the other. It's whatever YOU like better and can fly better. The same discussion happened regarding thumbs vs pinch vs tray.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
There is no "better" way than the other. It's whatever YOU like better and can fly better. The same discussion happened regarding thumbs vs pinch vs tray.
You hit the nail squarely on the head!!

Ken
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If you want stiff springs, you can buy them at the following link. I use the stiff springs that came with my radio and like them. They are a touch under max tension. I believe the Radio South springs have a nicer feel to them, but who really knows?
http://www.radiosouthrc.com/thumbnail.asp?cid=17
Old 07-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I thought longer sticks would help with precision, since you have to move the stick farther to get the same results (similar to resolution). However I found that the extra motion made it harder for me to move the stick in a straight line (ie without adding opposite stick).
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 PM
GlennO

I've battling with the softness of my 18mz springs for quite a while. When I was in Calgary a couple of weeks ago leading up to the Nats, Chad Northeast fitted a set of radio
south springs to my set. This made an incredible difference, wish I had of done it sooner!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Jason Arnold

Originally Posted by Jetdesign
I thought longer sticks would help with precision, since you have to move the stick farther to get the same results (similar to resolution). However I found that the extra motion made it harder for me to move the stick in a straight line (ie without adding opposite stick).
Hey Glenn,

Spring tension is one thing but what you really want is a very positive neutral point. I tried the radio south springs in my Multiplex P4000 but they were too strong for the gimbals and caused the pots to shift position. This could have been disasterous! This is why people need to be careful what they do with the springs.

Cheers,
Jason.