Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Great Planes Sequence 120

Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 AM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Sequence 120

I am considering the sequence 120 as an entry level pattern plane. Don't really want to compete, but want to learn. I am an intermediate flyer. I currently own the sequence electric plane. My concern is that the specs show wing loading a bit high. Can this plane be "softened up" with expo and dual rates so that it doesn't get me in trouble? Can anyone give me their experiences flying this plane?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM
TFF

I have not flown one, but I like flying 90/120 size pattern planes. It really is only going to matter in competition. Your job, no matter the airplane, is to make the maneuvers perfect. If you can do that, you could win with the plane. Only when you are being judged in a group class will presentation be noticeable between different airplanes.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179202
The above link is to the Flying Giants review of the Sequence 1.20
Old 06-19-2016, 12:55 PM
JohnS

Thanks guys........good info. Appreciate your replies.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

We had two of these at the HVRC Pattern contest this weekend. Seems very capable. If anything it presents as a larger plane and flies pretty light. I think one will be at the West End Wings contest this weekend in Effort, PA.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:54 PM
JohnS

Anthony, Thanks for that info. Do you recall whether they were configured with electric or nitro?
Old 06-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Both electric and I think with the recommended set up. One is in Tri-County R/C which isn't too far from you. PM and I will give you his email.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:01 AM
jrr27

I was one of the two pilots flying the Sequence 1.20 at HVRC. This was my first year in Pattern and I found the whole experience to be very exciting. My Sequence was setup with the Rimfire 1.20 motor and 80 Amp speed controller, powered by a 6 cell, 5000mAh battery. My transmitter timer is set at 6.5 minutes and that's plenty of time to fly the Sportsman sequence. This year's group of Sportsman pilots flew some tight battles and I made some really good new friends. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to win any of the five contests that I entered, but I don't believe that this was because of the plane.

The sequence is a very stable flier and handles the Sportsman sequence of maneuvers well. The only fault that I see is with the power in my setup (motor/battery etc.) Get up a head of steam and the plane will do large, majestic maneuvers. Get too slow on a long vertical and try to muscle the plane higher however, and you push the amps too far. In my case, the extra draw causes the battery voltage to pull down until the speed controller cuts power to the motor. Of course, I'm going vertical, so I have plenty of time to chop the throttle and restore power for the rest of the flight. But I can tell you that this is a sure way to get a zero on at least one maneuver of the sequence.

I've purchased a beefier motor and speed controller and will set it up with an eight cell power source. Over the winter, I plan to make this conversion and we'll see how well it does. It may make the plane heavier and negate all the extra power. We'll see. I think that I should spend a little more time balancing the plane also, but really, I think all the problems I had in competition this year was just pilot errors.

Looking around at other choices for an entry level plane for pattern flying, I think the Sequence 1.20 is a fine choice.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM
JohnS

Will be interested to see how the bigger motor and battery affect the sequence, jrr27. Please let us know. Thanks
Old 10-10-2016, 08:05 AM
big_G

One guy in my district converted his Sequence to 8S....it's a completely different plane now. He is very competitive in Intermediate. Lower amps and unlimited vertical. Keep your components as light as you can, including your batteries. Don't carry un-needed capacity.