Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Sequence Pattern Plan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Great Planes Sequence Pattern Plan

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:21 PM
bkanter3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Sequence Pattern Plan

Has anyone had any problems with the landing gear. I fly off of a well rolled grass strip in N. New Jersey and have a total of 9 flights on the plane and three landing gear failures. The second failure ripped out the bottom of the plane from the rear of the landing gear forward to the fire wall. I got to see what they were using in materials and glue. It isn't ply wood that I know of. It is one play wood and it looks like they use a glue gun for glue and not any epoxy. I have flown pattern for a number of years and all my landing were 3 point. There are a few bums in the grass as any grass field will have but the gear should be able to take some punishment and not fail as quickly as this did. Any responses on this matter would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a friend who messed around with those for some time, never did get a decent model. So with that in mind, I have a solution for you that will make you very pleased IMHO. It's a bit smaller than the Sequence but fly's very well.

http://www.aj-aircraft.com/62-Acuity.html

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-18-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

You might have got one built on a Friday. A few guys campaigned these here in the North East and they made them look pretty good. There are some threads under the E section and on the other site that didn't mention this as a common issue.

Where do you fly? I used to work in Livingston and didn't know there was any clubs around there.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:09 PM
bkanter3

Thanks for getting back to me Zeeb.. It is very frustrating because the model looks great, fly's very good and is very cost effective in the light of what pattern ships cost today. If you look closely at how these things are built, the type of wood they use and the kind of glue they use, it is pitiful. I know they want to make them light and cost effective, but they don't allow for extra strength where it is needed namely the landing gear area. Not everyone fly's off of hard runways. I have a radicle idea, I am going to attempt to install mechanical retracts in the wing. That should solve the problem. Also, I want to spend my money of the new AJ 300 laser. I have a DA 50 laying around and lonely that needs a good home. Have a good Thanksgiving. Bill
Old 11-24-2016, 05:14 AM
bkanter3

I fly in Somerset NJ at Solberg Airport in front of the Solberg VOR. Great Field.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by bkanter3
Also, I want to spend my money of the new AJ 300 laser. I have a DA 50 laying around and lonely that needs a good home. Have a good Thanksgiving. Bill
It's an ARS 300 and it fly's very well although I really like my 73" Laser 230Z on electric. When the 93" Laser comes out in the new scheme I told Andrew I wanted one and I'll put a DA-70 in it. I also have one of his Proteus 2M Pattern models. While I don't have an Acuity, I do still have a 3DHS Osiris, which is also an AJ design.

So as you can see, I really like his models.....

Oh, AJ also has a built up 2M version of the Acuity coming, it'll be about the same price as an EF Vanquish if you are interested in a decently priced 2M size?

Last edited by Zeeb; 11-24-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:41 PM
bkanter3

The Acuity in a 2M size I might be interested in. I am putting in the retracts in the Sequence's wing as I wright. I am looking forward to getting the ARS 300 but I spend Jan - March in S. Fla so I will get it in the spring. Who makes the Vanquish?
Old 11-25-2016, 08:47 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The Acuity in a 2M size I might be interested in. I am putting in the retracts in the Sequence's wing as I wright. I am looking forward to getting the ARS 300 but I spend Jan - March in S. Fla so I will get it in the spring. Who makes the Vanquish?
Extreme Flight makes the Vanquish.

Gary
Old 11-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Zeeb

The Acuity in a 2M size I might be interested in.
You would not be disappointed.....
Old 11-29-2016, 05:06 AM
bkanter3

Zeeb thanks for the info. I am well along on installing retracts in my Sequence, only way I will get to fly this plane.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 PM
jrr27

I've been flying the Sequence 1.20 for two years now. My landing gear loosened-up also but has not actually broken out. A friend of mine flew the Sequence this year also and had the landing gear break out. The gear block area appears to be plywood and the fuse below is foam, so it surely isn't the strongest design ever made. I've been giving the gear tear-out problem quite a bit of thought and my conclusion is this... the Sequence 1.20 was designed to be an entry-level pattern competitor. Typical of that goal, they tried to keep the weight down, hence the light construction. Like other pattern competitors, they used carbon fiber on the landing gear which provides no flex what-so-ever and of course, impacts go right to the airframe. I wondered why they wanted to do this and I decided that the reason was that since landings are judged in pattern competition and bouncing gets a deduction, it would be better to keep the landing gear stiff and make the pilot accept the responsibility for a smooth landing. The most common damage that I've seen in pattern competition among all the planes out there is the gear tearing out. The two best pattern pilots I've ever seen, each with the most expensive planes I've ever seen, both tore out their gear last season while competing in a really nasty cross-wind. Maybe it's just part of the game.

JR
Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM
bkanter3

Jr: Thanks for getting back to me. If you had a chance to see what the landing gear area is made of and the adhesives they use, then you will really understand how badly engineered this part of the plane really is. They use very light ply?? and glue from a glue gun. I flew pattern for many years and still practice a lot and have never had any kind of problems with landings and the gear tearing out like this. I spoke to someone at Tower and their answer was we don't have these problems with this plane so you will have to send it back. I don't have the original box and I will not waste my time and money to get it back to them for them to tell me it is my problem. I like the look of the plane and how it fly's, for all of the 9 flights I got on it, so what I am in the middle of doing is installing mechanical retracts in the wing. I hope this will allow me to use and enjoy the plane like I wanted to do all along. BTW I am using a YS 140 for power. I understand that they want to make it as cost effective as possible for them to sell it for a good price and still make money. However, using substandard wood and glue in such a critical area is inexcusable for any level of competitor. I have purchased other planes and equipment from Tower in the past and have been very pleased. I hope they are looking on these forums to see what kinds of problems the real world is having with their products and take advantage of the knowledge gained. I'll report back to tell you if I was successful with the retract install if you like. Thanks again, Bill
Old 11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glue gun joints are pretty standard for normal ARFs and have been a while. Sounds like they lightened it too much.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 AM
bkanter3

TFF: Thanks for your info. I know that they use glue gun glue but it still doesn't change the fact that it is a very critical area subject to a lot of abuse and should be engineered to with stand that abuse. Not everyone fly's off of pavement. I am sure I am p*****g in the wind but you never know, squeaky wheel and all that.