Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS DZ200cdi

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by papaone
Hello Scott

I'm very interest to know the difference in flight between 200 CDI and 200S CDI
claude
Hi Claude,

It will be another 7 days before I can fly. The engine is in a new plane and I'm using a different prop, so a direct comparison is not possible yet.

Maybe if I get another one for my Xareltoo 😃
Old 06-18-2020, 05:59 PM
FBW

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott try a 3 blade prop and let us know how it goes...

may need to get a bigger ute mate!!

Old 06-18-2020, 06:11 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Scott try a 3 blade prop and let us know how it goes...

may need to get a bigger ute mate!!
I tried a 3 blade on my 185cdi and liked it a lot. It was a Falcon 19.5 x 12 I highly modified. I broke it and haven't got around to doing it again, but I have 2 here ready to modify.

I have to remove a 3 blade for transport, so that's a problem.

Yes, a bigger ute would be good. Maybe a Silverado 2500 long bed
Old 06-19-2020, 01:24 AM
drac1

Hello Scott

I'm very interest to know the difference in flight between 200 CDI and 200S CDI
claude
Hi Claude,

As I won't have a direct comparison with the 2 engines, I ran my standard 200 on the test stand with the same prop.

I also ran the S again and a bit more tuning. It's now very close, maybe 1/8th turn rich on the reg still. The S reg is flush with the housing, whereas the standard 200 is the width of the bevel out.
The S has a slight increase in rpm, maybe 100 - 150 RPM or so and it throttles up quicker and a bit smoother. I also think the idle is a bit more steady.

With a few flights to fine tune it, I think it will be a fantastic engine. Saying that, I am more than happy with the standard 200.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:10 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello Scott
Originally Posted by drac1
Hi Claude,
As I won't have a direct comparison with the 2 engines, I ran my standard 200 on the test stand with the same prop.
I also ran the S again and a bit more tuning. It's now very close, maybe 1/8th turn rich on the reg still. The S reg is flush with the housing, whereas the standard 200 is the width of the bevel out.
The S has a slight increase in rpm, maybe 100 - 150 RPM or so and it throttles up quicker and a bit smoother. I also think the idle is a bit more steady.
With a few flights to fine tune it, I think it will be a fantastic engine. Saying that, I am more than happy with the standard 200.
Thank so much for your answer.
The price difference being low, it is better to buy a 200 s and have fun
Claude
My favorite plane in flight with 200DCDI

Old 06-23-2020, 03:33 AM
drac1

Hello Scott

Thank so much for your answer.
The price difference being low, it is better to buy a 200 s and have fun
Claude
My favorite plane in flight with 200DCDI
Nice photo Claude

Yes, for just a bit more it's better to buy the S.

I hope to fly my Oreka with 200Scdi very soon.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 AM
FBW

A quick question on YS 185 CDI.

How do you know if the pump is on the way out?
Mine behaves normally but recently when I pull up for a manoeuvre it sounds like it is starving of fuel coughing and spluttering.......like a lean run.
The pump has 130 flights and it takes a lot of priming to get it started .

Any advice will be appreciated ...thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2020, 02:09 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW

Mine behaves normally but recently when I pull up for a manoeuvre it sounds like it is starving of fuel coughing and spluttering.......like a lean run.

That doesn't sound like a lean reg. Try another ignition module.

130 flights isn't much for the pump. If the pump is wearing, the reg will need to be richened.

How soon after landing are you starting it again?
Old 07-01-2020, 02:17 AM
FBW

Normally 30 minutes and I use a fan to cool it down......the ignition module is new....

regards

Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Normally 30 minutes and I use a fan to cool it down......the ignition module is new....

regards
Hmm, OK.

Is this the reason you fitted the new ignition module?

When exactly does it cough and splutter? Like, is it only when throttling up, going vertical, under load etc.

After the first run, shouldn't have to prime again. Do you clamp the fuel line to engine while on the ground?
Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 AM
papaone

Hello
Originally Posted by FBW
did you measure the pressure ?
claude
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 AM
allenpl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First start of the day with empty lines a good pump will bring fuel to the injector by rocking the prop say 8 to 10 times.
See message no 88 and following.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 PM
FBW

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.
The engine will basically start and run good on the ground but it takes a lot more priming than normal .Idle on the ground is good .......up to a minute with good pick up.
The splattering occurs at the top of the manoeuvres ie at the top of a loop.........it sound a bit like BBBRRRR with loss of power and sometimes a lot of smoke .....once I throttle back it runs ok........straight and level flight is no problem either

regards
Old 07-01-2020, 06:23 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.
The engine will basically start and run good on the ground but it takes a lot more priming than normal .Idle on the ground is good .......up to a minute with good pick up.
The splattering occurs at the top of the manoeuvres ie at the top of a loop.........it sound a bit like BBBRRRR with loss of power and sometimes a lot of smoke .....once I throttle back it runs ok........straight and level flight is no problem either

regards
Richen the reg 1/8th a turn and see how that goes.

Run it at full throttle on the ground. You may get a slight rpm drop in the first few seconds, but that's normal. It should then hold that rpm. Keep it at full throttle for around 20 seconds.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:34 PM
FBW

Hey Thanks mate I think it is starving of fuel as it loads up at the top of the manoeuvre hence the Juddering sound which leads me to believe the pump is on the way out.......
Just checked my notes on the engine and the engine has 160 flights ....time for a new pump !!!!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:49 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Hey Thanks mate I think it is starving of fuel as it loads up at the top of the manoeuvre hence the Juddering sound which leads me to believe the pump is on the way out.......
Just checked my notes on the engine and the engine has 160 flights ....time for a new pump !!!!
Worth a try, but that's not many flights for a pump. I had hundreds of flights with my two 185's and never replaced a pump.
Let us know how you get on.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 PM
FBW

Fitted a new pump last night ....the engine started with normal priming rocking the prop back and forwards about 10 times
Initially the engine was hesitating to accelerate and quit on advancing the throttle...........richen the pump 1/8 of a turn ....better but not enough so richen 1/8 of a turn and the engine was now responding so run the engine at close to full throttle for 20 seconds and check the idle again ....this time it appeared a little rich so lean the pump a little and the idle was now pretty good for 1.5 minutes with normal acceleration to full power.....only difference the vibration on the airframe was now noticeably higher than before......will need to investigate this one further.

Will fly when the wind settles down and will report further.

regards
Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Fitted a new pump last night ....the engine started with normal priming rocking the prop back and forwards about 10 times
Initially the engine was hesitating to accelerate and quit on advancing the throttle...........richen the pump 1/8 of a turn ....better but not enough so richen 1/8 of a turn and the engine was now responding so run the engine at close to full throttle for 20 seconds and check the idle again ....this time it appeared a little rich so lean the pump a little and the idle was now pretty good for 1.5 minutes with normal acceleration to full power.....only difference the vibration on the airframe was now noticeably higher than before......will need to investigate this one further.

Will fly when the wind settles down and will report further.

regards
That's good.

It would have been good to try the original pump set richer though. You have richened the new one, which indicates the reg was lean.

Flying will tell the story 🙂
Old 07-03-2020, 04:09 PM
FBW

Flew the Engine today in Moderate wind and the engine behaved normally with lots of power .....no problems at the top of the manoeuvres .
Scott I am glad i changed the pump because it did feel tight when removed from the engine.

regards

Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Flew the Engine today in Moderate wind and the engine behaved normally with lots of power .....no problems at the top of the manoeuvres .
Scott I am glad i changed the pump because it did feel tight when removed from the engine.

regards
Yes, good diagnosis there 👍 I've had pumps sieze, but not for 4 or 5 years though. Maybe your engine is a really early one?
I had one sieze just after take off with of one of my Valiants. A swamp out front, no altitude and nowhere to go.

Glad you got it sorted 🙂 The 185cdi is the nicest and most user friendly engine I've had.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:19 PM
FBW

Yeh its good when the diagnose is correct..........I think due to the Covid 19 the engine was grounded for 3 months with no fuel going through .....this may have caused a bit of corrosion inside the pump !!!!

My 185 CDI is 3 years old and I agree a lot more user friendly than the early 170 CDI.
I reckon for me the later version of the 175 CDI was the best.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:49 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by FBW
Yeh its good when the diagnose is correct..........I think due to the Covid 19 the engine was grounded for 3 months with no fuel going through .....this may have caused a bit of corrosion inside the pump !!!!

My 185 CDI is 3 years old and I agree a lot more user friendly than the early 170 CDI.
My 200 just sat for 4 months and ran perfectly straight away.
After flying, I empty the tank then run it until it stops. That's all.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:39 AM
papaone

Hello
Good news
Originally Posted by FBW
I have 175, 185 et 200 CDI.
I agree, my favorite engine is 175CDI with APC 20 x 10,5.
175 CDI is powerful, torquey, very smooth and more fuel efficient than the others.
claude
Old 07-04-2020, 03:53 AM
drac1

Hello
Good news

I have 175, 185 et 200 CDI.
I agree, my favorite engine is 175CDI with APC 20 x 10,5.
175 CDI is powerful, torquey, very smooth and more fuel efficient than the others.
claude
Hi Claude,

Try the 20.5 X 10 on the 175cdi. Perfect.

With my 185cdi's, I could fly 2 P19 schedules on 500cc's.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:19 PM
FBW

A quick question for the experts out there .....

Does the position of the prop in relation to TDC have any influence on the amount of vibration exerted on the airframe?

thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.