Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate for Kyosho Majestic?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate for Kyosho Majestic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Raptor^Norway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate for Kyosho Majestic?

Hi all!

I'm planning to purchase a Kyosho Majestic, after what I've read it's a nice flying presice machine

But what engine do you recomend for this plane? YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate?? I'd like to have close to/or have unlimited vertical, a smooth engine, and with concern to weight etc., wich of these two are the best engine to go with?
The choice is basically narrowed down to these two, but other suggestions are ok too.

Happy flying
Old 11-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate for Kyosho Majestic?

Well, I don't know what the take-off weight of the Majestic is but my 6LB.+ Zen-50 with a YS-63 has unlimited vertical on a 12x7APC... I know the YS-63 has more power than the standard OS-70 but no idea about the Ultimate-70

Keep us posted and hopefull a pattern stud will chime in here-

james
Old 11-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Natrajk

Here is a comparison between the FS II Surpass and the Ultimate :
http://www.modellflynytt.no/articles...leId=20&page=3

The review is in Norwegian, but there is a chart on the bottom of the page where you can find some rpm figures with different props.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:18 PM
eoinjoc

YS 63 is the way to go...I have one in MK Alliance kit with 58" wingspan....engine is perfect for an aerobatic plane of this size. I have seen this engine in a Majestic and the combination is superb
Old 11-25-2003, 03:43 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kyosho Majestic is a small airplane and has unlimted performance with an OS46FX. In fact, the OS40 with give it unlimited. An OS50SX is quite outrageous. The YS63 would be incredibly overpowered. If that is what you want, then go for it, but for completely unlimited performance you do not need that much motor. You might think of taking the money that you save on the motor and fuel for the YS by buying an OS 2-stroke and putting it into better servos and linkages to really bring the best out in the little airplane. It weighs only a little more than 5 pounds and has a 53" wingspan. Some nice, accurate coreless servos and better linkages would be a better investment for this airplane. The YS53 was already well overpowering this airlpane.

Mark
Old 11-26-2003, 03:11 AM
Raptor^Norway

Thanks for the tips so far!
Yes, I'm going to run better servos than std.! Not sure what servos yet, but I'll find something in my drawer
Old 11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
PineBaron
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a YS person myself but I am intrigued with the OS70 Ultimate. I think I'm going to get the Ultimate just to compare it with the YS63. It may not be comparing apples to apples.

The YS63 develops more power than the OS Ultimate and is considerablly cheaper. The OS on the other hand may require less maintenance

PineBaron
Old 11-27-2003, 05:05 AM
Raptor^Norway

ORIGINAL: PineBaron
The YS63 develops more power than the OS Ultimate and is considerablly cheaper. The OS on the other hand may require less maintenance

PineBaron
Is the YS heavy on maintenance? Harder to adjust?
Does the YS 63 develops more power than the OS70Ultimate?? The weight difference between them is marginal, only 30grams (just over 1 Oz), so that aspect shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:29 AM
kris1

I had a Majestic with a YS 63 in it. I ran 13 x 6 or 12 x 7 on 20% fuel. It was very good. It wasnt as fast as some 2 stoke setups but the YS just kept pulling. This was the last engine change. I had a SC 46, os 46fx, SC 61 and finally the YS. The YS was without doubt the best combination.

Kris
Old 01-03-2004, 01:50 AM
Horsetrader_123456

Default RE: YS 63FZ or OS FS-70 Ultimate for Kyosho <span class=

I fly one with an OS 46 FX and its perfect. I did have to redue the firewall because it was not put on well to begin with. This plane can get your heart pumping it will do things so quickly. All my friends want to fly it because it so honest. Superb slow flight when landing to.
The only thing you might watch for is in a knife edge at half throttle it will roll on its back and head straight for the groud. Full throttle its no problem, might just be my plane is nose heavy.

CT
Old 01-03-2004, 05:54 AM
majortom

Although I hate to differ with the knowledgeable Mark Novack, I will chime in and say I flew my Venus (comparable size & wt to the Majestic) on a YS 53 and then a YS 63 this summer. The 53 was good power and the 63 was even better. Depending on how hard you're flying (upline snaps, etc.) I would say the 63 was more than adequate power, but I would not say ridiculously overpowered. I did fly a few tanks with 30% nitro on the 63, and I would concede that was more power than the plane would ever need...but with 20% nitro and 11x8 APC I thought it was a good match. Guys at the field liked what I was flying, and I know at least a couple bought the Venus themselves after watching mine--but I haven't seen yet what engines they settled on.

I did find I was using lower throttle settings with the 63 for most horizontal maneuvers, but it was great to pull up into vertical rolls and snaps and still hold my speed.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
kris1

I think it depends on your flying style.
The 2 stokes will pull the aircraft fast but will lack the torque and power to accelerate the aircraft. The 4 stroke will just keep pulling though manoeuvres where the 2 stroke aircraft will loose momentum and engine revs. The down lines you will find the braking effect of the engine will help stop the aircraft accelerating. This is also good on landings as you can slow the aircraft past the stall, but flying on the torque of the engine.
Also there is the engine noise. The YS will be developing its max power at 11500 rpm while the 2 strokes typically will be in the 17000rpm + range. SO it will be quieter, just prop it differently and you will be flying right in the power band.
I have run different nitro contents and recon that the jump from 20% to 30% nitro is worth about 800 to 1000 rpm on the static rpm. I found that the 20% fuel to be more than adequate.

Kris