Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ZN Alliance engine query

Old 04-05-2004, 01:23 PM
eoinjoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZN Alliance engine query

Has anyone had any experience of running a two-stroke engine in the ZN line Alliance? I'm thinking of using a Webra 145 as the power plant. Most people I know use the YS 140 range, but I'm happier staying two-stroke.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:31 PM
mikehannah

Default RE: ZN Alliance engine query

Hi EO
Cant tell you much about running a 2 stroke in an Alliance but if it is any comfort I am about to start building a Synergy and I am planning a 3M Mintor 170 for it.

Mike
Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Saw a Pl prod Smaragd yesterday that had the Webra 145 in it and it flew the plane well. Had plenty if not unlimited vertical. He could speed back up after the upline snap in the FAI sequence.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:12 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I bought a built ZN Alliance from Jim Woodward last year that I first had a Webra 1.45 in. I then switched to the Webra 1.60. Both engines had the MC carb set-up and they provided excellent power. Great vertical and very good downline speed. I used Magnum 15% fuel and an APC 17-12.

The Webra's are the best glow set-up I've ever flown. Of course, I've now gone to electric in my Partner, and I like that more. But the Webra is a great choice.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:52 AM
ini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr. Callaghan,

if you want real information on 2-strokes and ZNLine planes (Alliance, Synergy) write an email to Ola Fremming of Norway.
He is one of the best pilots in Europe and runs OS 140 FI. He also has experience of Mintor and Webra engines.
Besides that he is a very nice guy and always willing to help fellow pattern fliers.
http://home.online.no/~ofremmi/

ini
Old 04-06-2004, 05:25 AM
jeffmill

Hi

We have 4 Alliance's at our club, all running with OS 140Rx's.

We have had no problems whatsoever and unlimited vertical.

As the engine is lighter than the YS, you need to make sure of your positioning of
internals, we have all had to place the battery pack behind the firewall, but that is
the only issue we have had to deal with.

We also use a lot less Nitro (10%) than the YS.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:58 PM
eoinjoc

Thank you all....as I have an OS 140 as well (at present running vety nicely in a Protech Onyx) I'll have to think long and hard. But the Webra is "free" at the moment so I'll probably start with that.

Did any of you have trouble getting the larger and longer two-stroke pipe (mine's a Bolly) into the Alliance?

I don't have the MC carb set up in the Webra. (It's one of the early engines with separate pump) Is it worth my while going down this road?
Thanks again
Eoin
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eoin,
I do not know your pipe length but I assume that to properly tune it you may need to lengthen the tunnel a little bit behing the wing saddle. If you look carefully at the ZNLine website and examine the Majestic you sill see that the fuselge has been modified behind the wing saddle to allow the pipe's full length. It is not a really big job but it can be nerve wracking to slice into the fuselage. That is the only good solution for holding a full length pipe and making it look good. If you need I can snap a close up of that area.

Regards,
Mark
Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Vikas

Eoin
If you are using Bolly MF 590R, it will fit perfectly in the Alliance. Also, this is basically a muffler and not a tuned pipe. So, the length of the setup is not very important.

Vikas