Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern video for d/l ?

Old 04-06-2004, 03:32 AM
indy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern video for d/l ?

Guys is there any video available of pattern flying ?

I am just starting from 3D to pattern and it seems that I am slow on most manouvers.

Reading how it is done is OK, but seeing it would be much better.

Tnx
Old 04-06-2004, 03:55 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Pattern video for d/l ?

Indy, I'm not aware of any video useful for visualizing pattern flying. Video is limited in its ability to maintain constant visual reference to horizon, center pole and end-poles.

If you think you're flying too slow, you're probably flying about right. Pattern rules call for consistent speed throughout all maneuvers, straight & level, loops and partial loops, ascending & descending angles and verticals, all the same speed. Rules also call for consistent turn radius in all loops and partial loops.

Your flying speed is pretty much determined by your vertical down terminal velocity with throttle at idle. Take your plane up to maybe 150--200 meters, throttle back to idle, nose it straight down. Observe terminal velocity. That's the speed you want to maintain for straight & level, throughout loops or partial loops, 45 degree ascending & descending, vertical ascending & descending.

The larger your maneuvers, the longer they take to fly through each one. The longer they take, the more time you have to detect and correct any deviations before they are downgraded.

I try to fly my loops about 80 meters in diameter, partial loops with constant 40 meter radius. The way I got to this number is as follows. Assume flight track 150 meters out from the pilot. At that distance, the track from 60 degrees left pole to 60 degrees right pole is 400 meters. Assume bottom of box at 50 meters altitude. I drew a plot on my drafting machine scaled to these dimensions. I drew five horizontally contiguous circles from left to right across the box (5 x 80 m = 400 m).

Assume a sequence of three maneuvers: straight & level to 1/2 cuban turnaround; transition to centered loop; transition to 1/2 reverse cuban turnaround to end the sequence. This sequence ideally should fill the entire box, or nearly so. You can fly smaller figures, but the smaller they are the less time you have to see and correct deviations.

If you proportion your figures to the five circles, the left & right circles determine the path of your 1/2 cuban & reverse cuban turnarounds, and the center circle determines the path of your centered loop. All at 40 meter radius. Following these proportions, you have about 50 meters past the center pole to where you pull up to enter the ascending 45 degree line to your 1/2 reverse cuban, and you finish your 1/2 cuban leveling off about 50 meters before you pull to start your centered loop.

You could fly your figures a little bigger, but not much without violating the box limits. Comparing this kind of flying to sport and 3D and fun-flying, it seems much, much slower. This is the pace that gives you the best chance to score well.

I keep my drawing in my vehicle, and look at it before I start every practice session, just to help my eye remember what the figures should look like in the sky. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
mupchu

Darn, I was hoping there would be a video or something of the beginner sequence too. Downloaded the beginner sqquence and printed it out, but some of it leaves me wondering where to perform certain maneuvers. For instance:

The Cobra without rolls . . . . someone have a good explanation besides the one on the nsrca site . . . for some-reason i just can't visualize that figure
Old 04-06-2004, 06:26 PM
majortom-RCU

Cobra without rolls is just a 45 degree upline from straight & level entry at bottom of box, when you're over the center pole push 90 degrees to 45 degree downline, pull out to straight & level at bottom of box. Sort of like flying up one side of Mount Fuji and down the other side. What the connection between this maneuver's appearance in the sky and a cobra is I've never been able to figure out. I like to get the peak at center about the same height as the top of a loop would be. Need to maintain the 45 degree angles, keep wings level, hold speed the same on ascending and descending lines, keep maneuver on center and of course stay on track against the wind.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Wilker

Hi majortom-RCU

I really enjoy your idea about draw this 5 circles inside de virtual box.

But a question, where can I find official guide for this virtual box ?? because I will propose in my club to paint this 60º line (left and right pole) .... and put some flags stuck in the ground to mark the flight line.

About this virtual box, how many levels it has ? considering your idea about this circles, the box has 2 levels, but if I am doing a vertical 8 (#18 from P05), this box should have 3 levels ?

and this 3 levels conflicts with the #11 from P05, an inverted humpt bump... the P05 aresty figure let you to think that the entry point is higher than exit point.... dos the entry and the exit of this maneuver is in the same level ?

sorry if I´m changing the subject, but , it is some doubt in practising this schedule

thanks.

Wilker.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Eric.Henderson

How does one attach an Mpeg to this forum??
Old 04-07-2004, 09:22 AM
indy

Guys, thanks a lot for help !

This is very informative.

Eric, you need to upload it somewhere and leave link on forum. How big is file ?
If up to 10-12Mb I can put it on my web if You want.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:49 AM
majortom-RCU

Wilker, the virtual box is described at http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/f3a/. This is a simple description, and there is no more complex description in the rules themselves. The complications come from the descriptions of the individual maneuvers, which my diagram does not address. Some things I guess we have to work out for ourselves. Figures like the vertical 8, the hourglass, figure 9, etc. do imply various levels between the top and bottom of the box (or, more properly, the figure of the maneuver rather than the box), but the box itself has only a top, bottom, two ends and a middle (and a distance from the pilot station).

As to the Aresti code diagrams--they have their own logic, and they do give a simplified and coherent graphic presentation of the official descriptions of the maneuvers, but they are not necessarily drawn to scale relative to how each maneuver is presented in the box by a world class flyer.

My 80 meter diameters and five circle concept are just an arbitrary interpretation, which I offer the developing flyer as a little more specific than the dry letters of the rulebook. The rules do leave considerable room for interpretation (and misinterpretation!), which is as it should be. F3A and pattern are as much art as science, and artists must be free to explore and fly their own visions of the rules.

I'm eager to have a look at Eric's mpeg. Could this be what we've all been waiting for?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Eric.Henderson

What I don't know how to do is "Upload it somewhere". Do I have a server-service with my IP? - Comcast.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:20 AM
indy

Eric, not sure about your service. How big is file ?
Less than 10 Mb mail it to me and I'll put it on my server for unlimited access.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
mahoo

Thanks for hosting the video of the sportsman pattern. I contacted NSRCA if they had any links to learn from and they're response was the NSRCA members would rather spend money on the planes than hosting video. As a beginner I agree some video along with the written directions would go along way in promoting the sport.

I would like to offer my services to assist with this. My wife can transfer the movies to flash format that will shrink the file size, or I can do some filming of a friend flying the pattern.

Mitch
Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 AM
mikenet76

..SOME VIDEOS!

You can see two videos here:

Akiba and Koji.
http://www.geocities.jp/tamu1643/main/comp/images/

and here 1 other F3A, german, electric 2x2m, F03 program:
http://www.f3a-e-factor.de/deu/html/szene.html

and Benoit-PLR here indoor in a pattern fliyng: