Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

140 DZ Fuel pick up

Old 06-26-2004, 09:49 PM
FlyHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 140 DZ Fuel pick up

The YS 140 DZ comes wih a foam covering over the fuel pick up. The foam split and came off after a short time. What are other people using for pick ups on the Dingo. TIA.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:39 PM
TNRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 140 DZ Fuel pick up

um....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79742.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	147736  
Old 06-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 140 DZ Fuel pick up

I have seen this happen but it is rare in my personal experience. The early DZ's came with the foam clunk made out of a fairly soft gray foam. My first one lasted about a year and then looked a little raggy so I replaced it. The newer ones are a more rigid white colored foam. They seem to hold up better.

I have also used a Bubbless clunk that is made by OS. It pricey...Like $18 but it is a really cool little deal. It has some small metal beads all glued or soldered or welded or something...together then it has a groove machined in it to accept an O-ring. This keeps the metal clunk from beating up the inside of your tank.

Like I said expensive but works well.

I currently have a foam clunk in a tank that built in 2002 (gray one) and its still working fine, in my Smaragd.

There is nothing magic about the foam clunk. It just keeps the bubbles(foaming) from affecting the motor. The older style YS's had a pressure system that virtually eliminated any chance of foaming....The DZ doesn't have this pressure system...so when the tank foams or bubbles get in the line the DZ is more affected. Its really no big deal..A way to help with the bubbles and tank foaming is to mount your tank less rigidly and with some foam rubber...this will help the foaming issues. It is possible to run a regular clunk. I have done it and it works. But sometimes the motor will eat an air bubble and just die when it gets to 1/2 a tank. Sometimes it will run 100% dry..just inconsistent. With the foamy the consistency comes back.

TN