Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Eye Laser TReatment

Old 09-18-2004, 05:12 PM
obi1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eye Laser TReatment

Hi , my first post!!

Has anyone had Lasik Laser correctio on their eyes? Would like to get it done but unsure if it will afffect my ability to fly, love to hear your comments

Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 05:41 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Eye Laser TReatment

I would like to know as well...
I have been thinking of it for a few years but never though of its' affects on flying (not sure how I overlooked that)
Old 09-18-2004, 06:34 PM
obi1

Hi Brian,

Well apparently it can affect contrast os something, think its not recommended for pilots(commercial) and no point lookin on Net cos twould frighten livin daylights outa ya!! but in reality I would like to know if anyone here has had it done and the results
Old 09-18-2004, 07:21 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

I know a friend who had it done and the only side effect was a "star" effect
from headlamps while driving at night. She has better than 20/20 vision now ,
near and far and its a miracle because she was next to blind without her thick
glasses before. It'll make you butt pucker to see it done though ! You can't touch
or rub your eyes for about a week and you have to wear protective glasses for
a few days but it's not too bad considering the results.

tommy s
Old 09-18-2004, 07:23 PM
RC_Fanatic

I had mine done about six years ago. Best money I ever spent! First thing I noticed was that there was a lot of the world out there (peripheral vision) that I never saw clearly before. My motorcycle riding improved a lot, but not as much as my RC flying. I'm not sure why there was such a difference as my glasses were really well corrected.

The main thing is to get a top-notch doctor. This is not something where you want to go bargain basement! I did have some "rainbows" around bright lights for the first month, but no problems since then. Sure is nice to not have rain or sweat fogging up my vision!
Old 09-18-2004, 08:06 PM
obi1

RC Fanatic thats great to hear but why dont they recommend pilots have it done so?? were u flying back then ?
Old 09-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

It is actually approved for pilots....However, there is a lot of paperwork that the FAA needs from your eye doctor before they will grant you a medical with the removal of the corrective lenses restriction. I know one airline that had their own requirement of 3 months before you could come back to work - regardless of what the FAA said - but now they have reduced it to 3 weeks minimum. I do know a couple tha had it done, and are back flying. I also know of one who's career ended by a botched Lasik procedure - vision is now so bad in 1 eye, that they lost their medical completely.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife had hers done about 2 years ago. It was awesome,, she went from 22-600(legally blind) to 20-15(fighter pilot vision). Total cost $2500. Took about 10 minutes to do both eyes and it was totally painless. Now after 2 years her vision has decayed very slightly to the point that she needs a mild corrective lens to see perfectly,, but her vision is still like 20/50, which is barely enough to need glasses.

One of the best in the world is right here in SE Texas Raj Singlah, he did my wife. But regardless, if your vision was really bad its going to dacay again over time after the surgery. I probably know 20 people who have done it and they are all seeing a very gradual decay in their vision but not back to where they were before the surgery..

Mike
Old 09-19-2004, 08:01 AM
lems
My Feedback: (20)

I had Lasik done about 6 years ago. I went from 20-850 and 20-800 to 20-25 and 20-35. So now my vision is not perfect, but I would do it again to get rid of the thick glasses. I fly without any corrective lenses most of the time, and then sometimes use my new thin glasses. I think the doctors are mush better at lasik today, with better equipment for the procedure.

One thing to keep in mind is that your brain takes a while to readjust to how you see, and at the same time, your eyes adjust while they are healing form the surgery. I certainly would not fly anything fast for 3 weeks. I had a hard time reading for the first week.

Lem
Old 09-19-2004, 09:17 AM
obi1

Thanks for all the replys, very informative but its the case above where a pilot lost his career that is scary, but my main concern was that it might interere with ability to follow plane around sky but from what I am hearing it improves things, its a desperate decision, I would so like to get rid of my glasses but it is the one sense that I would take no chances with

Decisions Decisions!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 10:57 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think if you go to a good reputable Dr theres almost no risk,, However I would also say that if you dont need glasses for most of what you do except maybe driving at night or glasses I wouldnt waste the money. I just fly with "clip on" sunglasses and I dont even notice the difference..
Old 09-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Rosisco

Old Bill had his eyes done in our club. He is an very active flyer who used to fly around with coke bottle glasses. The boys used to kid him because he was getting in to close and getting damn dangerous to be out there with(it was getting to the point of having a talk to him). He flies an ultra sport............he is 85 years old. One day at the field I went out to stand with him because it was winter and the bright snow made his eyes water alot, you know to help him out if he needed it. He puilled straight up and spun around and looked at me without any glasses and said "What you think I can't see it eh". He still flies evey day and says that he should have had the surgery when he was a kid...........like 60 or somthin'
Old 09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Sprink

I had mine done about 2 years ago now. I now find it odd looking at old photos of me with glasses on[&:]. My eyesight is now 20/20 in my right eye, better than 20/20 in my left (approaching 20/10 I think!). Best move I ever made.

I definately think it has played a part in improving my flying.

I would also add that you have only one set of eyes, so dont scrimp. If you cant afford the best treatment, stick with glasses.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:36 PM
obi1

Sprink , were u flyin before u had the surgery? and if so did it affect cntrast with the model against the sky? any probs at all?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Sprink

Been flying 5 yrs now, so the first three were with glasses. Didn't fly for about two weeks - didn't risk it. As with most people my eyes were sensitive to bright light for the first couple of months, but the big advantage is that I do not have to worry about getting perscription sunglasses. I know have about half a dozen for different things (fashion and flying ).

Basically I just find it easier now, no problems with contrast or anything really. I did get haloing around lights at night, but that is fairly common, and not an issue in daylight. That has gone now aswell (but took over six months).
Old 09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

I had mine done 3 yrs ago in Ecuador (US$3000) for both I have 20/20 vision now and except from some dryness on air conditioned rooms I wouldn't cahnge it for the world... a muche cleaarer an more colorful world !!!
After the first tow months and nice looking singlasses i fly better (perhaps because i'm practicing more ))
Old 09-24-2004, 04:20 PM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

Perhaps have it done in the winter so in the spri
ng you will be ready to go!