Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

regs for 2006

Old 08-06-2005, 12:20 PM
aerowiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regs for 2006

hi guys,

have there been any changes to the proportions of f3a aircraft for 2006.

ie wingspan, length and weight.

aerowiz

ps i want to run a gas engine because my 2 x 140 rx os engines are killing my wallet in fuel costs.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: regs for 2006

Nope.

The CIAM committee did discuss elimination of the weight limit, but its was only discussion. There are stiff arguments either way.

I believe it is an integral part of the game and should stay in place. A rule change to eliminate weight limits will make the electric powered model the only alternative for the best performance. You can always build a bigger heavier electric model. And without weight limits the battery system will no longer have limiting factors...the result will be bi-planes that are huge 2m x 2m...because wing loading wise they can carry the extra weight...and 15-17lb models. I don't feel this will make pattern any cheaper or more accessible...It will again drive technology higher and higher....Guys at the top will exploit the maximum the rules will give to gain an advantage. The current crop of 2M models dwarf anything we have had in the past by a bunch. Now that we have power to haul the load the models have gotten huge. The result of changing the weight limit will be even larger models but staying in the 2m length and width.

This is FAI F3A only.

In AMA pattern the soonest a change can take place is 2007 as that is the rules change cycle that we are on in our USA change process. Right now we in the USA are determining what changes we are going to make...the 5kg rule is on the block as it has been for the past several years...yet we have continued to keep it as I feel we should.

Troy Newman
Old 08-06-2005, 08:08 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Well said Troy and I'm with 100% on not changing the weight rules.
Steve Maxwell
Old 08-06-2005, 09:20 PM
aerowiz

hell when you put it that way......

i just wish we could go to gas. i dont think 5 kilos will allow us to do that. the smallest engine i think we could get away with is a 30cc with a tuned pipe and the lightest one on the market is close to 2 kilos( engine, battery pack, switch etc).

i really am thinking about becoming an imac only guy. i dont mind paying for more technology, i hate throwing all my money into fuel.

aerowiz

Old 08-13-2005, 02:08 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I dunno, they are running the zdz40 in the Abbra and its under 11 lbs.

Kris
Old 08-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Benoit

Hello Aerowiz,

Have a look to the SM30: 1,2kg with ignition and battery, rear exhaust, a good choice for F3A on gas within 5Kg.

http://www.modellexclusiv.de/SM_Motoren/SM30/sm30.html

Regards,
Benoit

ORIGINAL: aerowiz

hell when you put it that way......

i just wish we could go to gas. i dont think 5 kilos will allow us to do that. the smallest engine i think we could get away with is a 30cc with a tuned pipe and the lightest one on the market is close to 2 kilos( engine, battery pack, switch etc).

i really am thinking about becoming an imac only guy. i dont mind paying for more technology, i hate throwing all my money into fuel.

aerowiz

Old 08-13-2005, 09:33 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Does anyone have one of these engines or seen one run? I would like to know what prop they run and at what RPM seems like one of these in a ABBRA would come in well under 11lbs
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 PM
patternflyer1

I think I said that it does come in under 11 in the abbra. Do a search here on the abbra. Actually, here's a thread with one and pics
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2284006
I've seen Jerry Budd's Abbra and lemme tell ya, it's awesome for the money. His is Electric though. I think I would go gas before electric though. But Electric is the craze, I guess.

c ya

Chris
Old 08-14-2005, 05:50 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

I was looking at the ABBRA thread but I can't see where anyone on this side of the pond is using the SM30, but it looks like would do the job. I have almost committed to the ABBRA but I just can't justify the electric route I think the small gas engine would be perfect and WAY CHEAPER TO RUN. I have been doing some experiments on a G26 that is converted to ignition, it is 40oz on a 10lb12oz model the performance is outstanding and it is very smooth, the big problem with this engine is it is side exhaust and a lot of plumbing would come out the cowl. So if the SM30 has a little more power than the G26 witch it should we would be good to go. I also have a lot of experience with the ZDZ40 and I can tell you that this engine would just about tear a 11lb plane apart. Just my .02
Old 08-14-2005, 07:10 PM
patternflyer1

Are people here in denial or something? THEY ARE USING THE ZDZ40 IN THE ABBRA WITH SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They designed the Abbra around it.