Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2005 F3A World Championships

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Acrobat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 F3A World Championships

ORIGINAL: Frisko

the best pilot may not be the best judge...

But hes a good start for at least he can fly and pre see errors forming due to knowing what pilot is going through and where he may wind up in error.

Cmon guys how many times have you heard a so called good judge say "i know what it looks like but I cant fly it".

Every 2 years i Hear people b#tch about this fine objective sport why don't the people in power create history with changes like the sudjestion above. Try it see how it goes. People aint happy now what would be the differnce if it is a falure.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are good that the best judge practices both his or her flying and his or her judging. This includes careful study of the rule book and extreme care with the letter and spirit of the rules.

The best pilot usually only does one of these things. This doesn't mean that the best pilot doesn't study the book. In my experience the best pilot spends his or her time practicing flying or prefers to witness the Finalists rather than judge.

MattK
ORIGINAL: Acrobat

ORIGINAL: Frisko

the best pilot may not be the best judge...

But hes a good start for at least he can fly and pre see errors forming due to knowing what pilot is going through and where he may wind up in error.

Cmon guys how many times have you heard a so called good judge say "i know what it looks like but I cant fly it".

Every 2 years i Hear people b#tch about this fine objective sport why don't the people in power create history with changes like the sudjestion above. Try it see how it goes. People aint happy now what would be the differnce if it is a falure.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:29 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I can see why you might think that. If it was someone without Chip's experience and exposure to this level of competition, I might agree. However, Chip has been around the sport for a very long time, executing at the highest level for what seems like a century. He didn't just fall off a banana truck. When he speaks, many listen because he's been there.

What he expresses took a lot of guts, regardless of whether right or wrong in his assessment of the situation. It made me think. It does appear like too much coincidence to me also.

It's impossible now, but I would have been interested to see his scores entered in CPLR's name for comparison. It's a fair question. If that management team had nothing to hide, then they would have allowed it.

In regards to the Quality of the Judges overall, I can assure you that the US representative Judge, Don Ramsey, truly earned his spot. The US has a method of ranking its top judges and only the 5 Top Ranked US Judges were available to WC Management Team. Their choice was the top spot. (Maybe they should have chosen all 5??? )

The computer program we designed to perform this job has been offered to everyone. I know Bob Skinner has a copy. Several countries do also but the state of Judge Rankings in those countries is unknown.

MattK
ORIGINAL: johnp1

If I were French I would be pretty ticked off right now. Sound like sour grapes to me...........
Old 09-27-2005, 03:16 AM
stek79

Hello guys,

is there a table that lists the equippement (engine, prop, plane data etc) used by WC pilots? I'm looking for an internet site if there is one, but I can't find anything!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Jasmom

Hi,
Contact my son Jason Shulman, he'll help you find what you need. In case you need this here is his website: jasonshulman.com his email is: [email protected]
Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Well if that were the case Matt, would there be a copy of the score sheets that would be available to run through another program that could discern whether or not the management team was in fact cheating? Surely the original score sheets are kept for a period of time in case a protest is filed? That is sad that someone goes through all that preparation to get to the World level and get cheated. It sure does take all the fun out of competing.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
cameron

http://www.vit.or.jp/~tomo/wcs2005/wcs2005.html
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
cameron

double post
Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 AM
johnp1

Cant believe we are still talking about the management team cheating because Chip wasn't happy

Well if that were the case Matt, would there be a copy of the score sheets that would be available to run through another program that could discern whether or not the management team was in fact cheating? Surely the original score sheets are kept for a period of time in case a protest is filed? That is sad that someone goes through all that preparation to get to the World level and get cheated. It sure does take all the fun out of competing.

-Ryan Smith
Old 09-30-2005, 07:45 AM
Tangy Tom

That is sad that someone goes through all that preparation to get to the World level and get cheated
He didn't get cheated, nobody did. He just didn't fly well enough.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good answer if you would have flown better than you did you could have won!

Classic I love it.

Now that is the way Pattern flying is suppose to be. Do it better than the other guy and when you don't shake his hand and smile as he was better prepared than you. Be prepared and let the best prepared pilot win.

So quit the whining and making the rest of us American pattern flyers look bad.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I'm sorry to piss everyone off, I'm not whining, I'm merely curious. Damn, I am not up Chip's ass, I am the furthest from it, I don't really even know him all that well. Sorry to irritate everyone, I was just thinking out loud. I didn't mean to accuse anyone of cheating him, I just phrased that wrong. I guess next time I would like to interject or make a comment regarding anything I'll just keep my mouth shut. Again, my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and my stupidity. Good day.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Tangy Tom

No need to apologise. This is a forum where views and ideas are shared. Just a monkey with half an eye ball could of told you that CPLR and Onda would of been the first two. There really was that much of a diffrence between them and everyone else.

Plus the bottom line is if there was foul play Bob Skinner would of picked up on it. Or if he thought there might of been foul play he would of investigated it. Absolutely no doubt about that.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM
SmoothPass

Some great info here. thanks for the constructive stuff guys.

Maybe some of us should download some of the 2005 F3A vids in a previous post in this forum, and then re-name or watch them in black and white(joking) so you do dont know who is flying, and then judge the videos/flights.
It would be interesting to see if we all agreed on the placings of the videos.

It also makes you appreciate the skill and patience those judges must have. Just watching the four vids wore me out!,, and I am still not sure who I would pick as a winner from those 4 videos. Each flight has good bits to it.

After watching the videos,(I know videos of pattern may not really let you see moanouver fully correctly),,, but what was interesting to me, 'as an amature pilot', was that the manouver "loop with full roll intergated on the top 90 degree quadrant) was really not done that correctly by anyone? they all seem to cheat it slightly and not make the roll last the full 90degree quadrant over the top of the loop. As in 45 degrees either side of the centre of the loop at the top.

Let me know what you guys think? what would you score the loop with full roll in those vids?
Have I got it wrong maybe?.

And some of those reversed 4 points were atrocious! for world class level flying in my opinion!.

It would be great to see a vid of the 1st or 2nd place getters,,, I am sure they would be of a much higher standard,, am I correct?

Anyhow well done to everyone who made it to the champs.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Adamg-RCU

Smooth, it may be a misunderstanding on my part, but the loop with integrated slow roll requires that the roll be done over the top 90 degrees of the loop, that is 45degrees left and 45 degrees right of center.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:50 PM
SmoothPass

Hi. Yes that is how I understand it to be.

But it seems like some of the top guys only make the roll last say 30degrees either side of centre instead of the full 45 degrees.

Have I just got my angles wrong,, I'm no judge!.

Also, looking at those 4 vids,,, which video places highest in your opinions? Can we agreee?
I feel sorry for the porr judges!.

What about we just judge the first manouver, and see who did it best in those 4 world champ vids?
W, matts cuban didnt look as good as the others to me? And one of the guys really really over rolls his 1st point of a roll, and also some of the geometry is not that even, eg: not equal lengths after rolls and so on.
Okay all the best everyone.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello
Last but not least. See picture of a very nice guy chip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72748.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	442704  
Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
macleote

Frimeur va!!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Laurent Matysiak

ha oui carément, monsieur pose avec Hyde
il fait son fière
Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
doublesixes

En realidad, el uso de la palabra "demostra" es tecnicamente correcto al emplearse el voceo como es lo usual en Argentina. Ustedes en Mexico no utilizan el voceo por ende la palabra demostra suena mal :-)