Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Evolution F3A

Old 10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
doblerizo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution F3A

Someboby knows that so is east model
Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
doblerizo

Default RE: Evolution F3A

I feel lock the image
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87931.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	541414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83190.jpg
Views:	58
ID:	541415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36514.jpg
Views:	56
ID:	541416  
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I'm not sure what you are asking about with the Evolution. I bought 2 and now have the replacement parts for both and I can say I do not recommend this plane if you want anything above a 10 year olds build quality.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Rendegade

I build quite nice airplanes when I was 10
Old 10-18-2006, 08:42 PM
patternflyer1

You got me there. LOL

I'll sell ya my Evolution then!!

Old 10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
664KIX

Sure sounds like "you" are the center around the problem. Are you 10? From the posts I have read in your other thread and now here, sure sound like it. I am not advocating Ultra here, but I have done business with them and I have no complaints. I have seen the Evolution in person and it sure looked good on both the ground and in the air to me. The owner seemed real happy. What is bashing the company and their products getting ya? Does it make you feel better at night? It surely doesn't do much for the rest of us.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 PM
patternflyer1

That's fine. I have no problem with what you say. Maybe you didn't look close enough. Maybe you just looked at it on the ground. All I want is straight wings. Is that asking too much? Is that really asking too much from a company that produces arfs? My Hanger 9, Dave Patrick, Fliton, Extreme Flight Arfs are straight. Do you see me complaining about them?

This person asked about the Evolution. I'm giving my opinion. Is that against the rules here on RCU?
I don't hear anyone chiming in about how they have checked theirs and they are straight. I would love to have positive feedback about this plane. I thought it was going to be a great plane. And it still will. I tore the covering off mine and I am fixing it.

That being said, I'm sure it fly's good. But if it were straight I feel this would be a great plane. Even in Fai I think it would be real good.

Look, I've emailed Ultra with no response after they sent me the replacement parts. I've tried. I tried keeping it quiet after you all straightened me out on how to handle it last time.

I'm just posting my observations on this plane as that is what this thread was about. Take it how you want to. I don't care.

C
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 PM
664KIX

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

That's fine. I have no problem with what you say. Maybe you didn't look close enough. Maybe you just looked at it on the ground. All I want is straight wings. Is that asking too much? Is that really asking too much from a company that produces arfs? My Hanger 9, Dave Patrick, Fliton, Extreme Flight Arfs are straight. Do you see me complaining about them?

This person asked about the Evolution. I'm giving my opinion. Is that against the rules here on RCU?
I don't hear anyone chiming in about how they have checked theirs and they are straight. I would love to have positive feedback about this plane. I thought it was going to be a great plane. And it still will. I tore the covering off mine and I am fixing it.

That being said, I'm sure it fly's good. But if it were straight I feel this would be a great plane. Even in Fai I think it would be real good.

Look, I've emailed Ultra with no response after they sent me the replacement parts. I've tried. I tried keeping it quiet after you all straightened me out on how to handle it last time.

I'm just posting my observations on this plane as that is what this thread was about. Take it how you want to. I don't care.

C
I hear everything you are saying, saw it all in the other thread. Your right, you have every right to post what you want. But why would they respond to you? As you say, they have provided you with replacement parts so they have paid attention to you. And yet, you are still complaining here. I don't think I would respond either.......knowing myself, I don't think I would have anything positive to say to ya.

With that being said, since this is a thread about the Evolution. I don't personally own one. However I saw it close up and it presented very well. Then I saw it fly three flights, both Masters and FAI schedules. It looked really good to me and the owner seemed very happy. If / when I am in the market for another plane, I will definitely consider this plane as an option. I have done business with Ultra in the past and they have always been very good to me.

My philosphy......Treat those as you would like to be treated.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
patternflyer1

I have heard it presents well also. I honestly can't wait to fly it. I will have the glow version done late this weekend, test flight probably next weekend. The wings aren't good, but it's for my friend who's in sportsman. I will probably have good things to say about it. But it will have trim issues with these wings.

Am I the only one who would not accept non straight wings on an arf? Wing tips at different incidences than the root ribs? If I am then I apologize to all who have been so offended by my complaining.
But if the shoe were on the other foot, and you were someone who wanted what you paid for, would you be understanding of my situation.
Have fun with the evolutions.

And btw I don't care what you think about me. I may feel the same about you.

C
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
tuny

it souldnt be a bad plane, i dont have one, but if you want a FAI quality ARF in pattern dont buy a cheap plane. and if you want a perctly build straight plane, do it yourself, buy a kit.

The evolution should be a great plane for entry levels or even to iniciate in FAI or Masters.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:59 AM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

I don't hear anyone chiming in about how they have checked theirs and they are straight. I would love to have positive feedback about this plane.
You HAVE had people "chime in" that they have a good one. I know 'cuz I'm one of them.

Eddie
Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Eric.Henderson

doblerizo,
Here is the latest Evolution that I built. You can see that I shortened the "electric-prop-landing-gear" in the second one.

I have to say that to get a better 2-Meter pattern ARF in the USA you need to go to the OXAI web-site. You also need to budget for the seven (7) Elvolutions that you could have bought for the money that a Pinnacle will cost you.

In pattern terms this is a low budget plane. If it is your high-budget plane, I understand that a person would want the very best for his or her money. However, you can't really make a manufacturer give you more product for the same money. You can push and lobby for service from a supplier but beyond that you are done. You can either accept a laser-cut built-up structure as a pattern plane or go off in search of high-tech-materials plane and the associated high costs.

I am using the same engines and radio eqipment etc. in my Evolutions as my two Pinnacles. Thes planes have close to a $3000 difference after shipping etc. A plane that flies as good as an Evolution will get you hooked on good precise, ergo pattern, flying. Once "hooked" you will, no doubt, need to save your pennies to get a flawless ARF, if such a thing exists. My Pinnacles were close. My two IMPACTs had lots of build issues and at least cost twice as much as this ARF. They also took three times as long to line up and build. Yet I loved them, because of the way they flew and the way the looked once finished. The Evolution is a super plane to fly. I only have 1% anti roll mix so that I can do field long knife-edges without any roll creep into the sun It's always into the sun right?

So far my advice, for what it's worth, is to don't shoot for really light. You need some weight for the wind. This means that with an Evolution you can use a bigger battery, a heavier servo on the rudder etc. for example, and still be less than 10 lb 6 oz. Which is perfect for an OS 1.60 IMHO.

In the pictures below you can see the legs are shorter (about 2") and the cheek-vent-exit holes were cut differently to hopefully be more asthetically pleasing.

Regards,

Eric.

Name:	Pn36549.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	543877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96310.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	543878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43727.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	543879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73162.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	543880  
Old 10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
cchariandy

Eric

How would you compare this to a Focus II with regards to the flight characteristics and finish?

Colin
Old 10-19-2006, 11:19 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice Eric
Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
doblerizo

Hello Eroc.Hendrson
Thank you very much by its advice
Greetings
Old 10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
patternflyer1

I do agree with you and have learned my lesson. Kits or high quality-price arfs will be how I go from now on. Sorry for the whining!!

C
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Eric.Henderson

Colin,
That is a hard question to answer.

The finish in my mind also includes the construction. I had three of them. (the FOCUS). One was a Mk 1 and two were the MK 2 versions of the Focus. Mine were about $350 more in cost than the Evolution. Also you had to fit the stab and glue it in place yourself. (The most difficult build part IMHO). The Evolution has plug-on stabs and longditudinal wing position adjustment.

Also I had to get three different sets of wing made, some at my cost, before I had correctly aligned wing-tube-sleeve installations and could also meet the F3A weight etc. Also I had to re-ialign the fuselage wing-tube on both of my Mk II's. The FOCUS was a balsa sheeted foam-core wing and full-sheet sided etc. All off these ARF designs had sheeted foam turtle-decks. I also had to redo the firebox to accept a Hydemount - "A" type. No issue on the Evolution. There was more but I forget right now. The main point is that they are not the same covering or finish design.

It was much more work to get it "right" than the Evolution. I still liked the plane and how it flew back then.

I say "back then" because it was what was current. The fuselage bodies have got a bit different since then etc.

As regards flying I can be a bit more crisp! I much prefer the later design/flight characteristics of the Evolution.

The Focus was like a pick-up truck and the Evolution is like a nimble sports car. The amount of Evolution rudder inputs needed are much less than the Focus and the mixes are either nil or non-significant. The wings are much lighter and hence the snaps stop on comand. Evolution's spins can be fully controlled with rudder and elevator only.

Regards,

Eric

ORIGINAL: cchariandy

Eric

How would you compare this to a Focus II with regards to the flight characteristics and finish?

Colin

Name:	Om33254.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	544045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61253.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	544046  
Old 10-21-2006, 08:15 PM
JWyatt

Just for clarification, could someone please state the manufactuer of this plane? I have looked for it on the web, but I can't find it. Thanks.

Bryan
Old 10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
patternflyer1

www.ultra-rc.com

They don't have it listed still for some odd reason..
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM
kev71h

Hi I just bought this airplane used and it looks like I finally found out what this bird is. Can somebody give me power recommendations AND SERVO size recommendations to fly this bird?

I'm only interested in sport flying not competition flying. Will an Enya 1.20 4 stroke (no tuned pipe) fly this around ok?

I picked up the airframe for 75 bucks used with minimal hanger rash. (Hope this is a good price) I'm glad to actually find what it is!!!! I'm excited to fly it. ITS MT FIRST PATTERN PLANE AFTER 25 YEARS OF FLYING!!!

THOUGHTS?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM
twort
My Feedback: (1)

You would need something in the 1.40 to 1.60 range.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kev71h

Hi I just bought this airplane used and it looks like I finally found out what this bird is. Can somebody give me power recommendations AND SERVO size recommendations to fly this bird?

I'm only interested in sport flying not competition flying. Will an Enya 1.20 4 stroke (no tuned pipe) fly this around ok?

I picked up the airframe for 75 bucks used with minimal hanger rash. (Hope this is a good price) I'm glad to actually find what it is!!!! I'm excited to fly it. ITS MT FIRST PATTERN PLANE AFTER 25 YEARS OF FLYING!!!

THOUGHTS?
If you just want to bore holes in the sky, the 1.2 4 stroke might work ok. If you want to do a little more, you will need more power. If you have the 4-stroke on hand, then use it by all means and see what it gets you. But be forewarned, you may be disappointed

When you decide that you want more out of the airframe, let me suggest that you try the small gassie from Syssa Aircraft Performance. It's a 30 cc engine that is very lightweight, lighter than the 120 4 stroke, except you will need to include the CDI module which adds 3 1/2 ozs. Even on the plain muffler included with the engine, it will turn circles around the 120 4 stroke....Just an idea for you. Look up their website; excellent product, American made, rear intake and rear exhaust, just right for pattern planes
Old 01-29-2011, 06:20 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a very capable airplane it won the nats in intermediate last year
Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

I have had two Evos with many different motor combos. Supretigre 2300 with stock muffler. Piped OS 140RX. OS160 both piped and pitts. Both planes are still currently flying after 4 years. One was given to my friend Dave and is now powered by the Syssa 30CC with the stock muffler with an MTK home made soft mount. The one still in my possesion is functioning as a test bed for the Syssa 30 on an ES pipe.
There are a couple things to take a look at that may be suspect. The shear webbing in the wing may have the grain horizontal, which is incorrect, and the stock gear don't hold up well. The motor box can use some reenforcement. I have run both soft and hard mounts and never developed a problem.
I have flown the plane from 10 to 11 pounds and is has served me well for 4 seasons now. Bang for the buck, it has to be the best plane I have ever owned.. I know between the two planes there must be 1500 flights.
As to your question of power and servos, I think Matt, MTK is spot on. Try your 120 and it will probably work OK. All the motor combos I ran were more than adequate for pattern flying at my intermediate level. JR 821 sport digis have been fine for the entire time in one and good Futaba high enders even better in the other.
Good luck with your Evo.
RC