Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Looks like the big OS 4 stroke might be coming soon.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Looks like the big OS 4 stroke might be coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:14 PM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looks like the big OS 4 stroke might be coming soon.

Frank,
An "unreliable" OS160??? I didn't know there was such a thing! Please describe your setup so that I don't accidentally duplicate it. What are you powering your Brio with? A small-block Chevy? <LOL> Just kidding! See ya at the WRAM show.

John Pavlick
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

I was thinking the same thing, John. The 1.60 can take a lot of abuse and keep on putting out the power. Can buy two of them for the price of one of the OS 2.00's, and that's just the sport 2.00. The pattern version is likely to be astronomical. I don't know how they plan to compete with the YS 1.60/1.70, given that the OS fuel injection system typically costs $250 more, and the system is not known for super reliability or simplicity. Eric Henderson is the only one I've seen that can keep the 1.60 FI engines running, and he rebuilds his own injectors.

Jon
Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Eric.Henderson

(that can keep the 1.60 FI engines running, and he rebuilds his own injectorsJ)

Jon,
It's really a matter of neccesity. When I looked to OS for a set of replacement fuel injectors they quoted me $299 each. Nope, that's not a miss-type AND did not include the "carb" part.

The absolutely best OS 1.60 after the FI versions, for me, is one with a 1.40 pump grafted on the back and an OS 1.40 70B mixture carb - not available any more.

Next in my order of preference is the same pump but with an OS 1.40 RX standard carb. (seems to handle the fuel flow from the pump better than the std 1.60 carb. The 1.60 side exhaust timing is less fussy than the rear exhaust 1.40 and this makes the 1.40 carb, on a 1.60, very easy to set and leave alone.

Then you get into trying to proivide fuel to the std carb with an OS pump, a perry or a Cline system. Not going there in this note :-) The stock carb does not work well with uneven fuel supply. It is common to get the engine too lean in the low and low/mid range with any pipe or even a pitts style mufler. To get the low and bottom end cool you need to set the idle screw rich and then you need an OS "F" to keep it all running.

BTW I found the BGX to behave just like the OS 1.60. But boy did that have some poke!

The OS 200 and some smaller OS 4-c's look to be employing the same fuel injector. And here I thought that Jason had learned his lesson with the 1.40 FI.

Regards,

Eric.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

I agree with the rich idle mixture on the 1.60. Hwever, I found at the end of last season that most of the lean problems were cured using the stock carb and Perry pump by using a bubbleless clunk by OS, YS, or one from the helicopter boys. 1.60 does not like airbubbles, no matter how tiny, and the clunk cures that. Seems to help most at mid and high end, but allows a slightly leaner setting at low end.

All that being said, I never lost a flight due to a dead stick last season. I have hundreds and hundreds of flights with the stock carb and Perry pump, and haven't had an issue with either. I keep looking for a reason to go to a more exotic setup, and then ask myself "why?"!

Jon
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, small block Chevy/Brio-that's one I didn't think of. Well, Merle doesn't yet make a mount for that one, so I guess the 140RX stays for now.

One must wonder how many OS160RX/Perrys devotees will change allegance and jump ship this year and next. Seems the number 1 fan is gassing it up these days.Others have gone the 140RX or Yamada route.

Chow
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Art Wagner (FAI flyer - Dallas, TX) uses the OS160, without any pump. He uses a hatori header which comes with a tapped hole on the manifold plate. He runs pressure from there to a bladder tank that is mounted with the stopper through the front of the firewall. He also takes care to minimize the length of fuel lines. With this setup he only needs to carry about 8oz. of fuel which effects his cg very little. He straps on an ES pipe and this setup just purrs. I plan to try this setup on my backup plane this Summer.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM
byoung466
My Feedback: (16)

Does someone w/ the OS 200 have a measurement from the back of the spinner to the front of the pushrods?

Brian
Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Hans Meij

This is 27mm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb85007.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	750915  
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Rate1

Hans...have you not found a home for your OS yet?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Hans Meij

ORIGINAL: Rate1
Hans...have you not found a home for your OS yet?
I will sell it, it is not what I expected/hoped for.
The published numbers here:
http://www.os-engines.co.jp/line_up/fs-200s/index.html
Are at least 500 rpm more than what I get after 1 tank. I do not expect it to improve to these numbers
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Yes . . I have heard that the OS200 FS has about the same performance as the OS120AX 2S [] The OS200FI however is a whole different ball game . . . and the price confirms it

Jeff
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
jim woodward

Could somone comment "in the know" about the broken crankcases and crankshafts on the OS 160? I have heard there have been several failures like this on the motor.
Thanks,
Jim W.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 AM
f3a05

Could somone comment "in the know" about the broken crankcases and crankshafts on the OS 160? I have heard there have been several failures like this on the motor.
Just my personal experience but:
I've used "big" two-strokes since the 2M rules came in(Irvine 150 mk1 &mk2,ST2300,earlyOS140,MDS148,MVVS160,OS160)
At first, I mounted them with 4 Lord-type rubber or neoprene bobbins bolted at one end to the firewall, and at the other, to an aluminium or carbon fibre plate fixed directly to the backplate of the engine.
Basically, the same system that we'd used on the 61 two strokes.

I didn’t use the OS140,MDS148,MVVS 160 much so no comment on those,but the others all had breakages.

Irvines---random-timed crankcase failures from a couple of months to longer-----but they were free so no action taken!

ST 2300----crankcase and crankshaft breakages after a year or so of use----relatively cheap to buy so again no action.

OS160----crankshaft breakages x2 within a very short time---just a handful of flights.

So, for the OS, the mount was changed to a conventional two-piece aluminium beam mount, still soft-mounted via four Lord mounts between the beams and the firewall.
Since then, no breakages in several hundred hours of use--------just the very occasional change of stainless rear bearing, and a couple of rings.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 AM
UKpatternflyer

Yes . . I have heard that the OS200 FS has about the same performance as the OS120AX 2S The OS200FI however is a whole different ball game . . . and the price confirms it

Are you saying there is a performance difference between the OS 200 FS and the OS 200 F1?

keith
Old 08-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Hans Meij

ORIGINAL: UKpatternflyer
Yes . . I have heard that the OS200 FS has about the same performance as the OS120AX 2S The OS200FI however is a whole different ball game . . . and the price confirms it
Are you saying there is a performance difference between the OS 200 FS and the OS 200 F1?
The FI is a turbo charged engine like a YS
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 AM
jayjayneri

A world of difference powerwise, from what I have seen. The none efi version is not even as powerful as a YS 140 Sport, if you look at the performance figures posted on the link above.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:19 AM
UKpatternflyer

Ah I see it now, what are the differences? an air chamber and other internal changes? I was led to believe it was just the control mechanism that had been added to the base 200fs. So whats the performance difference with the standard 200fs.

Keith
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 AM
Angus Balfour

Ah I see it now, what are the differences? an air chamber and other internal changes? I was led to believe it was just the control mechanism that had been added to the base 200fs. So whats the performance difference with the standard 200fs.

Keith
Major Keef, major.

One of the Aussie team says he is getting 9000rpm on a 17X13 running 20% nitro.

Gustav