Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Zafiro for pattern practice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM
meaden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zafiro for pattern practice

Last Monday Santa dropped off a CA Zafiro for me at work! Looks like an excellent kit.

I have a couple of questions for those that have experience. Keeping in mind that I want to fly the Zafiro to practice pattern and as a high end sport plane. I'm not all that interested in 3D

Weight will be my mantra...

I have an OS 91FX or a Saito 100 I can drop in it. I'm leaning toward the Saito.

I was looking at putting Futaba S9650 servos all around. Light and at 6.0V they have the required 60oz of torque. Are they up for the job?

Finally, advice or links about painting to keep it as light as possible.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31561.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	575290  
Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Zafiro for pattern practice

meaden,

I flew a Zafiro for a little bit that had an OS .91FX on it, and I have to say, the airplane flew fantastic. The OS was a little underpowered for the airframe, I don't think that it was an issue of weight, I think that the .91FX is just a little too lethargic a motor for what you're trying to do. I didn't 3D it that much because it was underpowered, however I did fly quite a bit of pattern with it. It tracks straight and I didn't add any mixing to it. I probably flew out what little there was to it, but it was not really noticeable.

As far as painting goes, don't get too happy with laying on colors thick and try and edge lay colors where you can. Also, try and minimalize the amount of clear that you use. I always am a freak about any overspray whatsoever, I don't know how much it adds, but it adds more than no overspray, not to mention looking better.

Good luck with your airplane, I sure enjoyed the airplane.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 9650's would be great for each elevator half and possibly the ailerons. I would definitely run a full size servo on the rudder though. Personally, I think youd be just as well off with just one elevator standard size elevator servo, maybe a 9252 on the elevator, and 9151 or 9155 on the rudder. At 6v, they should be fine on the ailerons though. Just make sure there is zero slop in the linkages. They are a much smaller servo, so even though they have plenty of torque, physical they arent as tough as a full size servo and will not tolerate flutter.

Archie Stafford
Team Futaba
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Jeff-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

I had one with a saito 100. Flew great, with great power. Keep it light (<7.5 lbs). Would fly the advanced pattern fine.