Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Zeque Build Glow Powered...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
BERUSTY
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zeque Build Glow Powered...

Zeque Build Glow Powered

Finally photos of the finished project including the YS DZ 160 motor, Hatori muffler and header, nifty hardware components and landing gear details.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58049.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	633204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73270.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	633205  
Old 03-02-2007, 08:56 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

Here are all of the pilots who participated in the test flights including Brett Wickizer, Dave Guerin, Rusty, Troy Newman and Arch Stafford.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Eb86643.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	633226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76956.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	633227  
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

The Mark Leseberg experience. Mark was nice enough to scribe for me while I judged the last round of Masters on Saturday. In between pilots we discussed his desire to fly P-07 (Tony Quist was the caller) and I offered the Beryll or the Zeque...he smiled and said the Zeque.

The photos show Troy Newman walking through the switches and buttons on the Futaba 12Z transmitter...I am looking on wondering how long the model will remain upright after take-off! (To the best of my recollection is was less than 10 seconds...)

Mark really enjoyed the model and based on his P-07 sequence would be an interesting addition to the 2007 NATS. Someone should offer him a model...

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Ge94852.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	633238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87838.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	633239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48090.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	633240  
Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Awesome, Rusty. Great thread, great pics . . and some great 'names' there too . . ;-)

Well done. Enjoyed the read.

Cheers, Jeff
Old 03-03-2007, 08:25 AM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

The Troy Newman D.E.P.'s installation. I believe that some of my best modeling experiences are the result of a collaboration with other modelers. My trip to Phoenix has given me an excellent opportunity to have the DEPs Master install the system in the Zeque.

The process is clearly outlined on the Central Hobbies website. The results are silky smooth, have not shown any temperature instability, and is very stiff by not allowing independent elevator deflection. The servo uses a NMP rod end adjuster.

Thanks again Troy.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Zx72307.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	633537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66226.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	633538  
Old 03-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Rusty,

Great pictures! It looks like you all had a alot of fun out there. I wish I could have made it. Hopefully I'll get out that way one year, Dave said it was definitely on his rotation of annual events to attend.

And Mark's last name is spelled Leseberg.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok Zeque comments,

Its been a busy couple of weeks. My Mom came to visit the first part of the week and I'm still catching up from the PHX Pattern Festival we had the week before last.

First of all there has been a question on the proper location of the Beams in the engine compartment. While Sam has not gotten a response from OXAI china I can tell you from the experience of installing the engine in Rusty's Zeque this was done on purpose. The reason is if the beams were installed per my Astral XXc or the Adventure Bipe then any changes to the thrustline will not only mean the the angle of the spinner to the nose of the model will change but also the spinner will be higher or lower on that nose. This means the thrustline will shift up or down if you shim the mount. The next question comes from the fact the Zeque as built in Rusty Dose's model has a hair more down thrust in it. The spinner gap at the bottom is about 1/32" less than the gap at the top of the spinner. I shimmed both spacers 0.060". The prop shaft was then centered in the nose of the model but it had a hair more down thrust than the nose. I don't have a photo but I'm sure Rusty can take one if he has time.

Again if this down thrust was needed after the prototype was built then the only way to achieve the proper spinner location vertically in the fuse is to "lower" the beams and shim them up with the correct down thrust. The extra down thrust is correct, and you just shim the spacers to align the spinner. If Oxai had put the beams "up" in the fuse looking into the engine bay, there would be zero way to make corrections.

Again we don't have confirmation of this but when you bolt it all together you see what was done and why.

Test Flight was windy on Friday the 23rd.
model weight was 9lbs14-15oz, and this was Rusty adding a bunch of extra stuff that would not be in a model I built. A remote glow, I have no use for them. next Rusty coated the inside of the radio compartment with Epoxy, I assume to preserve it in case a fuel tank leaks. I just make sure my tank doesn't leak. My thinking is you could shave another oz to 2oz out of the model, But why? Its excellent the way it is.

Its just a simple straight forward model that does the right stuff when asked to do it.

CG who knows the radio gear is installed in the stock locations per Suzuki and Oxai photos. Rusty is using a THP lipo instead of a Nicad pack but this about 1.5-2oz difference. My Astral is using a JR 2300 4 cell Nimh and its 10lbs even, so this is a similar comparison.

YS 160DZ 17-12 APC, on the Yamada (YS) mount

Model took off, needed 2 clicks of up trim. No Aileron and No rudder.
Not sure on the actual surface deflections but they were a bit "Hot" nothing to be concerned about. The model is very much like the Astral XXc. It locks well in the wind and holds a good line. The control surfaces have a great balance to them and roll-pitch-yaw all feel smooth and consistent. No funny tendencies. Just like the Astral XXc.

Model locks on in roll Awesome. My Astral XX is great at this, but the Zeque could possibly be better in this area. Rudder is good, smooth and has power. I think, and Brett felt the Astral XXc had a more powerful rudder, the Zeque can do everything very well. Being light the model can fly slow well, and if the power is advanced its like a Prophecy in the wind.

Snaps, We had some difference of opinion on how to setup the model for snaps. Brett was doing them differently and had trouble in my setup. The Zeque performed the snaps very much like my Astral. real good pitch and tight crisp auto-rotation.

The plane in the air is big, and looks big. The fuse is not very wide but is tall. As a result it presents a big picture in the sky. It handles the wind well. For being a sub 10lb model I felt it would get kicked around it bit. Well it didn't. Even the cross wind components capability is good. I think probably the Astral might be a hair better in the crosswind but its not an issue. The model like the Astral handles the cross well and doesn't have a big tendency to weather vane into the wind. If the wind gets blowing pretty hard you can increase the momentum a little and it will fly very well and maintain track.

Overall I think it a great flying model. It was an honor for Rusty to let me test fly it. We all stood around and couldn't believe how well it handled the 20-25mph winds on the first flights.

I would like to spend some more time with the model and get some details tuned up like expos and rates to get it really dialed in well, but its very very close right off the boards.

This is why folks like me pay the money we pay for models like this. You just don't have to worry about design, they are solid and all the Oxai model I have flown have been. The trim work is nearly not there as the models come off the board basically so close its funny. Rusty Dose added 1.5turns positive on the wing of the Beryll, and it was right. The Zeque didn't need any changes.

Mixing values. There was no roll coupling which is very typical of the Oxai stuff, and only a slight amount of up elevator on knife. I think the mix values were in the 4% range but the surface is moving less than 1/64" with full rudder deflection.

Its a winner for sure and is a great looking model. Those that got the first 6 to hit the USA are lucky to have such a great model. The YS engine, and YS motor mount are the perfect combination, and I would not recommend anything other than best for this model. Its that good.

To compare it side by side with the XXc I would say its on the same level. It does some things maybe better and the Astral XXc does some other things a little better. Either one are truly world class models.

Troy Newman
Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

More action photos...These photos were taken during the Mark Leseberg flight. The "action" shot is of the landing.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Peformance

Name:	Da83188.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	636507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19895.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	636508  
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM
ENO
My Feedback: (2)

Rusty or Troy where did you place the CG? ...and did you like there? Leoni from the ethread liked it at 190mm from the leading edge.

PS. Mickey just finished mine... it came in at 9 Ibs 13 oz.! I'm amazed at how lite they are fully loaded.

Thanx Doc
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

Where is the CG? We never actually measured it...assuming YOUR CG is behind mine due to the different linkage, if your model has mixing issues...make it more nose heavy...? Maybe a standard, non-lightened backplate would make a difference. We would suggest the APC 18.1 x 10, which is what I will more than likely use. There may be additional prop choices in the works as well...

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Doc I have some old kite string. Should I bring it out? Geez you've got to be kidding me. 9.13? Think of all the creative things you can do to add balast.
Rusty we goofed with all kinds of the bigger props last year and most of us prefered the 18.1 x 10Wide blade. Mike
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered...

I have reviewed some of the previous posts and edited to reflect better installation ideas, reflect greater accuracy (see tank attachment method) and other small details.

I have enjoyed contributing, the suggestions and humor supplied by each of you. I do not expect to have any additional meaningful comments regarding the model and in the event I do not reply via this thread, please feel free to contact me via the RCU PM system or my RCU profile (BERUSTY).

Shameless proud father photo: The photo below is of my son Chip (4) and his Airhog "helopter" that he learned to hand launch at the E-Fest set-up day. He learned to do this little trick while watching his pals Andrew Jesky and Jason Shulman (very patient guys) launch their models.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance

Name:	Ec89119.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	638000  
Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Fran Ferrante

Hi Rusty
Can you tell me who sells the Extension on the Hatori Pipe.
I like the one on your Zeque.
The only Web Site that I have found is Hobby Net.
Also wear is the Charg jack I can not see it in any of the pictures.

Fran
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

Regarding supplier of exhaust extension and charge jack?

Fran- Central Hobbies (Mandy) had the item in stock. The charge jack is NOW next to the switch to check voltage. I have been charging all of my LIPO packs outside the models for additional safety. Per my previous post, my Zeque flights have required about 110 mah per 9 1/2 minute flight. I am using the TP 1320 pack and I may for practice sessions, go ahead and use a larger pack to reduce the requirement to remove the wing in the middle of a session.

Please post a photo or (10) of your model if you get a chance. Have you considered coming to the NATS or the D4-D5 shootout in mid-June.

For interested parties seeking a judging clinic and coaching session, the Chicago Gang is on the calender for May 12, Hoffman Estates, IL.. I am working on a special guest to provide additional coaching and input...initials are DG.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
RCMICKEY33

Doc's new plane

Name:	Zx71245.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	639275  
Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
BERUSTY

Zeque Build Glow Powered

Doc's new airplane...Poor Frank, we might as well just get Frank some pants with the knee pads built in, for the post contest ritual photograph...

At my contest in Port Washington last Fall, Frank D., based on "bet" that was made at the beginning of (?)...was required to bow to Doc and admit defeat after each contest he loses...?

Something like that, I think...Chicago Guys need to post a photo and explanation.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome thread, one of the best I have seen. Even hooked myself up with a few of those kewl parts [8D]

I'll say that the Zeque is the best looking plane in the world, in my opinion. I still cringe at the price tag, but, I have to freely admit that if you can afford it, Oxai makes the best planes money can buy. They seem to thoroughly test thier designs and upgrade thier processes with relative frequency.

If I were NOT a modeler myself and just wanted to spend the money for a top notch plane, this would probably be the one I'd get right now. Of course it's still new so it's weaknesses will become more evident with time, but my guess is it's like any other plane...does some things well, some things fantastic, some things ok.

But this being a subjective visual game with a human element, that is a cool looking plane....and that DOES count whether it should or not.

Anyway, great job Rusty and other contributors, this is a really slick thread.

-Mike
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
TW3DGUY

Rusty:

Awesome thread, I just received my Zeque from Oxai, love it, follow this thread for building, I am looking for YS super mount, Can you tell me where I can find it? Thank

Name:	Om34215.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	655762  
Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: TW3DGUY

Rusty:

Awesome thread, I just received my Zeque from Oxai, love it, follow this thread for building, I am looking for YS super mount, Can you tell me where I can find it? Thank

I think you can get them from Singapore Hobbies (which is close to you). They are a good business and fly pattern.

http://www.singaporehobby.com.sg/yse08.html
Old 04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
BERUSTY

Oxai Zeque GLow Powered...

Where to purchase YS engine mount and stand-offs?

I purchased my parts from YS Performance: http://yspartsandservice.com/index.php

Prior to the Zeque, I have never used the mount and have been pleasantly surprised with the results. What has surprised me is the energy consumption. My Oxai-Beryll, now with over (40) flights flying P-07 or F-07 typically consumes 45 mah per flight. The Zeque, flying the same sequences and presumably with me making the same errors of geometry and not so subtle corrections has consistently consumed 110 mah per flight. My ill-fated Focus II (see "Phoenix in February") with plug-in wings and Hyde "A" mount consumed about 180 mah per flight.

The YS mount seems to have very little aileron movement at idle...(very scientific observation). The Hyde mount still offers the greatest flexibility, no maintenance, selection of mounts vs. the lighter (over 70 grams) YS mount.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Team YS Performance
Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 PM
TW3DGUY

Hi, Jeff and Rusty

Thank for your help, I will try to find one for my Zeque.

Dick
Old 04-13-2007, 06:07 PM
mola

Hi,

I was finally able to maiden my Zeque on Thursday after some initial engine problems ([link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5610222/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5610222/tm.htm[/link]). However after installing the new parts it seems to be running like clock-work on CP 30%.

I haven't really been able to trim the Zeque out perfectly yet, but it seems that it will need some very slight "rudder to aileron" mixing and some "rudder to elevator" mixing as well. For the maiden flight I was joined by Manfred Greve Jr. and Bernd Ellerbrock (both German F3A pilots), who were on holiday in Denmark. Manfred had one flight with the Zeque as well and gave it the "Thumbs-Up" [8D]

The final weight ended up at 4560 grams, which I'm very pleased with. Now I just need to burn a lot of fuel before our first contest in the beginning of May

And here comes the photos:

Name:	Db85710.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	663490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80577.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	663491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22998.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	663492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81303.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	663493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96695.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	663494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90964.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	663495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60398.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	663496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35766.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	663497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62580.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	663498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49591.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	663499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg53765.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	663500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94221.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	663501  
Old 04-13-2007, 07:19 PM
ENO

Congratulations and welcome to the Zeque club ! A beautiful Plane !

Just curiuos where is your CG ?

Doc
Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 AM
mola

Hi Doc,

Seriously I don't know. Like Troy wrote in an earlier post I basically just mounted everything according to plan and went flying... I can feel that it is a bit nose heavy however, since I have to give a small amount of down elevator when inverted, but that is how I like my models anyway. It snaps fine, and the mixing seems low so presently I don't think I will mess about with it. I will try and measure it and get back to you however.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
ENO

Maidened my Zeque yesterday. Only 2 clicks of down needed. Simply put one word...Awesome ! Best flying pattern ship I've experienced. Lets see how durable it is.
Thanks Mickey for all your help.

Doc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.