Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

zdz40FAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
RCDennis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: zdz40FAI

Well this is my first post to any list.
I recieved my ZDZ 40 RE F3A today and am putting it into an Areoslave Symphony. This plane has a very stiff structure while being very light. It is very large and the only problem found so far is the spark plug cap will not fit into the Chin cowel by about 1/4". I was hoping to not have to cut a hole in the cowel but must be done. Dick, I am interested mostly in the mounting of this motor. I have always used a soft mount and a nose ring. As you know there is no way to mount a nose ring so a soft mount will probably not work unless Hyde has one not requiring a nose ring. I have seen pictures of a DA50 mounted to one of his mounts.
I will be using an ES pipe but am also interested in your research as to propellor and pipe combinations. Looking forward to hearing more.

Dennis
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dick,

I wonder what kind of header are you using in the test. Self-made or from a vendor? I plan to install the F3A on my Gas Pattern plane built out of a RCM plan pushblished a few years back.

By the way, I have a KS muffler (the one for up to 35CC engine) and have used it on a RCS 180 before. Its inlet's diameter is 21 mm. Do you thkink such a muffler will work with the F3A?

Thanks --qc
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
mmattockx

Dick,

Any news on the pipe tests or flight testing? Pics of a finished testbed airframe?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the smaller exhaust system is not a good idea
so far the engine tests show best performance is using larger volume exhaust . your setup will run on th engine sure but we are seeing typically -on usable props - open stack (NO exhaust system ) to properly adjusted smooth throttle setups on pipes - about 600 rpm boost - thst is a good boost for a throttleable -non peaky setup.
The engine now goes into the ABBRA and I am plugging along on my scratch built -
Not sure what prop setup will be better - My money is on the 20x12 pitch which turns 7070 aprox static and is very smooth
the 22x12 is about a max load and the 20-21-x10 may be fine
but 8 " pitch stuf -is just plain old noisy.
this is a case of matching flying style / model / prop and pipe - there is no "best " setup.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:26 AM
jst

Hi Dick,

Any further results from your flight testing the ZDZ F3A? I am seriously considering this gas engine for my next pattern plane and any further info from your flight testing with this engine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
rmh

been wurkin on the new airframe for the 40F3A- here it is so far -weight is at this point -about 16 oz
- the front gets a chin covering the engine (ala my EMC2) which is also a "pressure cowl setup which makes all airfrlowgo thru the cooling fins
the tall triangular turtledeck framing etc..will add more - looks like it will be 30 ozs with all the stringers diagonals etc. spinner is 3.75" a ESComposites fibre one -extremely lite all will be covered in Ultracote. cept chin cowl
The planked front top section is a constant curved section which is extremely stiff. The sides are 1/8" on forward section and 1/16" on rear section . spruce and hard balsa stringers are used . the small pic is the Petrel done in 2002 which was plenty strong and used same basic type construction ideas. It had the early 40 and weighed a hair over 11 lbs. It had larger wing 2mm this one is 74" and double taper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38195.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	638092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98440.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	638093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38945.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	638094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35259.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	638095  
Old 03-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Magne

Dick,
Interesting design.
How do you reinforce the front/rear fuselage joints in your designs? (Are these sections just butt glued?)

Thanks,
Magne
Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 AM
rmh

There are top and bottom longerons . there is a 60mm long doubler on each joint and the entire area is fitted and clamped , using laminating epoxy to flow into all wood grain.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Dick,
I like the looks of the construction (I liked the look of the finished Petrel). The wing sounds pretty conventional compared to current designs (double taper - less span and wing area). Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks for sharing
Will B.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:15 PM
rmh

yes wing/ stab pretty conventional -lower aspect ratio tho on wing -
more like the latest small electric pattern/3D whatevers
I have been flying the BLING -which is really different on the wing layout and it works extremely well but the look is a bit much for many --so -- a compromise -
Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
rmh

Back to the gripping saga of the 40 F3A ZDZ

Today we ran it in the ABBRA model
If you have seen this design-- it is a very thin shell all fibreglass (composite) type which is quite thin walled and -with this engine , weighs about 10.5+ lbs .
It resonates like a Flamenco guitar. I plinked my fingers all over the model whilst it was running and at 3300 everthing has a buzz to it . I would expect to feel a buzz even with a electric motor .
Anyway- we fired it up on a 20x10 Skorepa prop and ran it up and down the power band a number of times (did NOT fly it )
the model viewed from say 10 ft is quiet and no visible dancing of ailerons or fuselage but there is a fine blurr at the rudder top at 3300rpm.
all in all very good - this is a solidly mounted engine -the bolts are in well nuts but no wobbly mount. no visible engine shake -ever. Try that with your big fourstroker .
compared against the ZDZ40RE the difference is very obvious -to put it mildly.
Now it's fly it time -just waiting on weather conditions
My new model is all wood and foam core flying surfaces -which I expect will soak up minor vibes more easily.
Say tuned for the next exciting adventure --
Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Dick, Great news. This engine is sounding very promising for my Integral due later this week.

Please continue with the updates!

Rgds,
Mark
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
mmattockx

Dick,

It's been 3 whole days since your last update...Any news or more build pics?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
rmh

flying this weekend --
the wooden model now has fuselage almost assembled -cowl block ready to glass and wing tube installed in panels
I am slow -- the last one of these I did in a week but I have to stay off my screwed up leg for the moment.
model is coming as planned
Ed hates it - I like it - so it is good!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Rendegade

I'm watching, and waiting for this one Dick, I'm interest to see what your choice of aircraft is.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 PM
nonstoprc

Hi Dick,

This is an interesting setup. What is the O.D. the header pipe? Which JBM canister is it (JMB40 or JMB60)? Thanks --qc
Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 PM
kochj

Looked at the integral from CompARF. Nice. I also got just caught up in the look of the Tucano w/turbo prop.... That is a real involved setup! Lots of carbon fiber and specific made components in that plane..... I guess you get what you pay for!
I have looked at aeroslave pattern planes and they are very well built and very affordable. The Symphony is nice.
Please let me know how that install goes schroedm.

http://home.comcast.net/~aeroslave/index.htm

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Hi Dick,

Looking forward to your results as my Comp-ARF Integral arrives in a couple of weeks and I'd really like to go for this engine in it.

Would be very interested to hear how much it shakes and knocks compared to the YS140/160s??

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 PM
jst

Any report on actual flight testing of this engine is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 08:40 AM
rmh

The engine works very well in the air - easy to start and lots of power .
The model used tho, was noisy as hell and the rattles have to be fixed before any realistic sound tests .
I did break out my old Radio Shack sound meter and see that it was still working properly - the pipe noise was not detectible over the airframe noise - prop noise at full power tho could be heard .
I am guessing a well done, wood airframe will be more quiet than the super light composite ones .
The guys selling all glass stuff wil likely say no about this -but that is my take on it anyway.
all glass on electric is nice but prices can be--pretty dear.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM
nonstoprc

Hi Dick,
I posted a question (post #66). Just wonder if I can get an answer from you. Thanks --qc
Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
rmh

this particular setup is a 7/8' dia header 12" long on a ESComposites pipe for 40cc engine.
I have run the JMB 60 can with a 4" long home made header and it works very well - just less power .
Old 03-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

FYI guys...

RC Showcase now offers headers for the 40RE and 40RE-F3A...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62935.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	646710  
Old 03-21-2007, 03:37 PM
bla bla

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

The model used tho, was noisy as hell and the rattles have to be fixed before any realistic sound tests .
I did break out my old Radio Shack sound meter and see that it was still working properly - the pipe noise was not detectible over the airframe noise - prop noise at full power tho could be heard .
I am guessing a well done, wood airframe will be more quiet than the super light composite ones .
The guys selling all glass stuff wil likely say no about this -but that is my take on it anyway.
So whats you're saying is that the engine isn't necessarily suited to F3A.
Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in an decent gass engine that could be used in a F3A model.
My problem is and continues to be that somebody, (an importer or distributor no doubt) branded this engine specifically F3A which is most certainly isn't.
Yes it and several other engines can be strapped to a F3A model with varing results, yet that doesn't make it a dedicated F3A engine which the importers of this engine are (deliberately or not) trying to mislead people. When I buy a F3A engine I don't expect to have to experiment or modify it to forefill the roll I was mislead into believing it was design to fore fil. If it's noisey why? If the engine wasn't designed around any specific pipe system that deliver the type of power we want and meets FAI noise standards why? Why should I or anyone else have to experiment? If it shakes which of course it will, why hasn't any specific soft mount design been incorporated into the design? What should I have to find out how this is best accomplished? The are many questions here and the answer is obvious.
This is nothing other than a lighten version of the previous engine. For which the manufactures should be congratulated!

Listen, I'm not negative to this engine, I have A ZDZ 40... its great as gass engines go. This being lighter is only a good thing.
I'm not against what you're doing Dick, good luck, I hope it work out well as I'm in the market.
What Im bothered with the the "F3A" hype and branding which appears nothing other than an attempt by the importers to drum up business.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM
mmattockx

I have been flying the BLING -which is really different on the wing layout and it works extremely well but the look is a bit much for many --so -- a compromise -
Hey Dick,

Just curious why you say the looks of the Bling are a bit much for many? It looks like a lot of other ARF's to me, low aspect ratio wing, big control surfaces as you expect on a 3D plane. Maybe not as elegant as some 2M planes, but easy, simple lines to build... Or maybe that's just me?

The 40% Cassutt Racer I have been drawing up is almost identical in size to the Bling, would it be too much as well? Or is a scale aircraft OK like that?

Just wondering, that's all...

Mark
Old 03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: bla bla

So whats you're saying is that the engine isn't necessarily suited to F3A.
Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in an decent gass engine that could be used in a F3A model.
My problem is and continues to be that somebody, (an importer or distributor no doubt) branded this engine specifically F3A which is most certainly isn't.
Yes it and several other engines can be strapped to a F3A model with varing results, yet that doesn't make it a dedicated F3A engine which the importers of this engine are (deliberately or not) trying to mislead people. When I buy a F3A engine I don't expect to have to experiment or modify it to forefill the roll I was mislead into believing it was design to fore fil. If it's noisey why? If the engine wasn't designed around any specific pipe system that deliver the type of power we want and meets FAI noise standards why? Why should I or anyone else have to experiment? If it shakes which of course it will, why hasn't any specific soft mount design been incorporated into the design? What should I have to find out how this is best accomplished? The are many questions here and the answer is obvious.
This is nothing other than a lighten version of the previous engine. For which the manufactures should be congratulated!

Listen, I'm not negative to this engine, I have A ZDZ 40... its great as gass engines go. This being lighter is only a good thing.
I'm not against what you're doing Dick, good luck, I hope it work out well as I'm in the market.
What Im bothered with the the "F3A" hype and branding which appears nothing other than an attempt by the importers to drum up business.

The so called dedicated glow engines for F3A are in my book -- NWAS--grossly overpriced I only spent about 30 years working thru th various ones and quit when the cost far exceeded the fun.
I did not say th ZDZ F3A was noisy I said the airframe was noisy -
If you don't like it don't use it
I think it is a terrific engine and am going to make a try for a good airframe to use it's best features.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.